Looking into this engine for my 68 - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 09, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Looking into this engine for my 68

Thanks to the support and knowledge of everyone here I found out the engine in my 68 actually came from a 72..oops! I inherited it from my uncle whom didn't know much about it either. Anyone who has helped in my other postings I thank you kindly. I know nothing about motors and little about mechanics. I was offered an opportunity to purchase this engine from a friend of a friend. This is what I know about this engine: I am told it is a 327 from a 69 vette and has 40k original miles on it, it has a 292 comp.cam,aluminum weiand intake and a 650 edelbrock carb. I don't want to get burned in this deal so does anyone who has been through this already have any advice what I should look for to determine the condition of this engine. It is still installed so I can hear it run. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I have enclosed a pic of the engine not that I expect that should help much. He is throwing in a TH350 trans in the deal. He is asking $1k. And thanks in advance to all who post. You help me more than you could ever understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 04:13 AM

Re: Looking into this engine for my 68

For a grand that looks like a great deal. the carb, intake, and valve covers alone would cost over 500. get a compression guage at a local auto store and check the compression in each cylinder and that would give you a general idea of how worn the engine is. you should be able to look up specs on what a new engine would have for compression and they should be fairly the same from cylinder to cylinder. also check the oil and see how it looks. you can tell a lot about how the owner took care of it if its really dirty. If i had a chance to buy that motor for a grand it would be in my garage right now
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 04:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Engine & trans, if it works for $1K isn't too bad providing they all work. You should keep in mind you are buying used and no any warranty - buyer beware.

If doing a compression check as suggested, look at the plugs also - clean = good; wet soot = oily; dry soot = too rich with fuel. if you can and have/borrow the tool, pressurized the cooling system to see if head gaskets are good. If allowed, look for head casting number and date code. Engine code under the alt on the block to tell the true story.

The drvr cylinder head is '67 and older - no accessory bolt holes. This is why all the accessories are askew - no boltholes for proper alignment.

Twenty percent of the cost is for the Edelbrock valve covers at today's prices - used to cost $20/set. I would remove the fan and fling it about as far as I could throw it at the landfill-they make nice ragged hood louvers.

I'm not trying to deter you from buying, just giving the points and experience I see. Gives you some bargaining power. If you're looking for a daily low maintenance engine, this probably isn't it. Listen to it run, drive it, get the feel of it. Only way you will know.

One important event to watch is the ability of the engine in starting and running - what has to be done to get it started and how well does it run after started - watch and listen. keep in mind, this is a carbed engine, not EFI, so human interaction is needed, but shouldn't need a prayer & a hand rub to get it started and keep it running.

Maybe I'm getting too deep...........
What's wrong with the present engine in the Camaro now?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 04:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Sounds like a good deal ,but like everett said, check it over good...what is wrong with the current motor in your car?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Looking into this engine for my 68 and could use some help

If the engine is still in a car and running I would ask him if you can do a compression test and while you're at it have a look at the sparkplugs for signs of oil burning. If it's what he says it is and the trans is good as well it sounds like a very good deal. 69 Corvette 327 should have a forged steel crank which is a plus and large journal steel 327 cranks alone are very scarce these days. What heads does it have ? It's hard to tell from the pic but they appear to be double hump heads but the earlier version without accessory holes. Check the engine code and see what it is. If it all checks out I'd say it's well worth 1k even just for the components it's built with. You could even cut those plug wires in half and make up 2 sets that will fit...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:27 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Re: Looking into this engine for my 68 and could use some help

Since you said you know very little about mechanics or engines, I would strongly sugget that you try and find a mechanic, or someone with mechanical knowledge to look at it for/ with you. There are numbers on the block and heads to id them. The seller may be honest, but may see sucker written all over you since you calim to be mechanically inept. Maybe some one on this sight in your area can help. Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:00 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Seems to be the going price, this is here in CA... http://slo.craigslist.org/pts/981379239.html

I don't think you could get a 327 in a '69 Vette, the 350 300hp was the base engine in '69. Early Camaros in '69 had 327 210 hp engines which were replaced by 307's.

Do some numbers checking to see what your friend really is selling just like you did your 307. Also find out exactly what comes with the engine and trans for the price. You could spend $500 on a new carb alone but shopping around you can pick up a good used one for $100 plus or minus. If everything checks out you could be ahead of the game for $1000 but if you have to pay to have your old engine/trans pulled then install these and a month down the road you have problems it isn't going to be the same good deal.

What kind of money are you able to spend on your car? What condition is it in? If your 307 runs good and you don't have trans problems it might be better to put the money into other areas.

Anyway good luck with it and enjoy your Camaro which ever way you go...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 11:09 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

The corvette was not available with a 327 in 1969. The 350 was the standard engine. What is the block casting number this will help us? The heads appear to be non accessory hole castings. If in fact it is a 327 , it was available in the Vette in 1968 as a 300 or 350 horse engine. Both horsepowers used the non accessory hole castings. However, the 300 horse head used 1.94 intakes while the 350 horse used 2.02 intakes. Without removing a head there is no way of telling either valve sizes or displacement on an engine this old. Many parts interchange these engines. The block number will tell us plenty.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

didn't accessory holes start in 69'? don't see any on those heads.
imho the motor is prob an over cammed 327 unless it is truely one of the 11:1 327's I wouldn't purchase it.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Looking into this engine for my 68

I would highly doubt that it only has 40k miles on it. If the engine was never touched it should be "orange" in color not that Baby Blue. Those heads on that engine are older then a '69. If it runs and drives good, it is probably worth the $1000, but I wouldn't believe anything that he is telling you, or that he was told.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

The current 307 in my Camaro was in the process of some work when my uncle had health problems. The intake manifold & heads are removed and the pistons have froze in place being exposed to the elements for so long.

Update:

My friend is a bone head and told me it was from a 69 vette. It is from a 67 stingray and I am still waiting for more info to come.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:05 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

I'm still trying to figure out whats with the vac. ports on the carb.
I understand the one going to the dizzy, though it's not on the correct port but where does the metal tube from the full manifold vac. port lead to? A gauge?

You can get a GOOD rebuilt mild core (short block) for $150-$200 if you look hard, heads are the most expensive thing depending upon how much power you want to make, intakes are cheap $40+ at swap meets, Dizzys are a dime a dozen, Holley carbs sell cheap, Cams $80 and up (elgin) gaskets can get expensive...

You may be better off putting together a short block that way you know what you have and it will all be new, it will likely be over $1,000 but not by much if your smart about where to spend and how much performance you want.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode