Starting car in winter questions????? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Starting car in winter questions?????

I' ve got a question for you all. I've had my car in heated storage in the past few years and this year I've got it in an insulated unheated garage and was thinking that I should start it ever once in a while. I had someone tell me that it's not a good idea to do that with it having summer oil in it. It would probably do more harm than what it's worth. The car does have stablizer in the tank so that's not an issue and the tank is full of 93 octane. I was told that it would probably just be best to put the trickle charger on it and leave it until spring when I take it out? What do you all do over the winter months. I'm in MN and it's been pretty cold this last month so I thought that I had better as the question. Thanks guys and have a niceday.

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:49 AM
Retired
Jim

Re: Starting car in winter questions?????

Jesse, when did you get the ragtop?? Nice project there.
As far as your question, dont start it, leave the battery tender on it and it will be fine. Mine is in insulated garage but the heat is NOT turned on either. Starting it occasionally will cause condensation in the exhaust and engine too, which is not good to have when you turn it off and it freezes again.
Keep the tires up over 35 psi and you are fine. Come April, then you can fire it up, let it run for at least 30 min. to heat up everything, maybe even get to take it for a drive

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

X2 !

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:55 AM
Senior Tech

Winter oil/summer oil? I use the same oil all year in all of my vehicles without any problems. I use 10w/30 Valvoline in everything but have switched to Rotella in my 65 Mustang and 68 Camaro due to Zinc issues. I agree with Jim, don't bother starting it unless you are planning on driving it long enough to get everything fully warmed up. The possible problems caused by short run times just aren't worth it.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Starting car in winter questions?????

Don't start it !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just let it sit and I wouldnt waste money on fuel stabilizer in a car that sits for the winter, especially with 93 octane. Save the stabilizer for things with small engines that may sit longer. I just put a battery tender on it and fire it up in the spring. Make sure you dont have mice or rodents in your storage area. They like to eat insulation under the hood and make nice that could cause fire later.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Just let it sit and I wouldnt waste money on fuel stabilizer ..........
No. No. No. Sta-Bil is VERY cheap insurance. IMO.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
In a car that sits maybe from Oct - May?? With 93 Octane??I guess it is a matter of opinion.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 05:27 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

I usually fill the tank to prevent condensation and add some Fuel stabilizer and Methyl Hydrate in case you have to start the car up in the Dead of Winter. You should either run the car a bit to ensure the fuel bowls get the gas mix or drain the bowls and spray Rust Check through the bowl vents to prevent corrosion. Always keep you battery indoors and charge it up occasionally. DON'T START the ENGNE through the winter unless you run it for some time as condensation will form particularity in the exhaust pipes and will evaporate into cylinders with open exhaust valves. I plug the tail Pipes with rages for this reason and something rage the Carb as well. Start it up in the spring to heat the Oil and change it.

MOST IMPORTANT is ensuring you have enough Anti-Freeze in the Block and the windshield washer container is either drained or has minus weather fluid as frozen water will explode the washer motor or pump whatever.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Jan 29th, 09 at 06:26 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Sorry for the Double POST but I had a power outage.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 06:26 PM
Senior Tech
Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
In a car that sits maybe from Oct - May?? With 93 Octane??I guess it is a matter of opinion.
I use it in all my motors that sit more than a month...like he said...cheap insurance and ya never know for sure when it will be started

Roger 67 RS/SS350
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 07:11 PM
Bill

Jesse,
I think all of the others have it covered as far as starting it goes ..... dont

But, I will have to disagree with the fuel stabilizer deal. We have seen quite a few issues due to fuel problems lately with cars that sit for a long time. I have seen sticking intake valves in less than a year of sitting With the old leaded fuels, and before they started the 10% alky deal, there never seemed to be a problem. But I think that if the car is really going to sit for 6 months, it would be a good idea to put the stabilizer in. The octane of the fuel has nothing to do with how it stores over time.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:04 PM

He!, He!!

The guys say a 55 gallon drum cut down to one ring and a 2x4 on top along w/ some beer will take care of all the mice you may have.

Seem's they walk out on the board over the beer and then get in it, get drunk and drown..

Might have to work some w/ the placement of the board, but the guys say it works fine!

Where is that thread on the Boards??

pdq67

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:14 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77thor View Post
I have never bought Stabyl. I let my Camaro set for over 2 years and it started and ran fine. I do use 91 octane and never use that 10% alcohol stuff. My 65 Mustang has sat for roughly 3 months and I needed to move it. Other than pumping the Edlebrock while cranking, it started and ran fine. I use premium fuel in our lawn mowers and other gasoline powered things around here and they set all winter with a full tank and no problems. From reading on this site and others I frequent, it seems like the people that run mid-grade fuel with alcohol are the ones that have issues. Maybe I am just lucky although my bank account says otherwise.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 09, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jesse

Thanks for all the great information. I guess that I will leave it until April or so when I can fire it up for a ride. I have started it once in December about a month or so ago and let it run for 20 to 25 minutes so that there was no moisture coming out of the tail pipes and it was nice and warm. I agree about the fuels getting bad no matter which octane it is. My brother in law works on a lot of small engine stuff and he ends up cleaning a lot of carb in the spring or fall when they come out of storage for winter or summer duties. We actually cleaned the carb on my ATV and it was green in the bowl. We usually put a couple gallons of 100 octane in our snowmobiles over the summer since it seems to keep a little better. Anyway.. I want to thank you all for your input I will put a lot of it to use over this weekend and make sure that it is in good shape for the rest of the winter. So, far the fuel tank is taken car of and I've got a bunch of dryer sheets in it to keep the rodents away. I've just got to double check the tires, radiator and my battery and cork up the tail pipes.

Jim, as far as the convertible I bought it a couple years ago. It needs a bit of work but it is a driver. It's currently painted to look some what like a rat rod with red stripes. It looks cool from about 50 feet away. LOL!! I'm currently doing a bunch of work on it at a friends shop. I've been detailing and cleaning the engine bay to make it look a little better. Then the big thing that I'm doing with it is installing a T56 6 speed. I've got the old transmission out and a bunch of stuff detailed so far and hopefully if my parts show up before the weekend I will have the T56 in the car. That will be a lot of fun to cruise around with. Thanks again for all of your help guys. I appreciate it. Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode