3890462 Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

3890462 Heads

I have found a guy with a couple virgin sets of 3890462 heads. So, they have never been re-worked, ported, machined, etc. They are both 1.94/1.50 heads. They both came off a block to which they were originally installed back in late 1966. Is there anything that you guys see that would give cause to be cautious about purchasing or just turn away all together?

Here is the first set with their matching spreadbore intake:

Here are the close-ups on the intake:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: 3890462 Heads

And here is the second set of heads (with matching date casts):

Questions, comments? I plan on having a shop disassemble, clean, hot-tank, and re-assemble for $68 per head (unless I find another shop that will do it for less and is reputable).

The guy is asking for $300 for the first set (whether I take the intake or not - intake is priced at $100) and $350 for the matching-date set. Are these fair prices? Again, all the parts are virgin and he says there is no damage, cracks, warping, etc.

Thanks!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

By the way, he will include the rockers on whichever set I choose, even though they are not shown on the first set.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

If you like feulie heads or if your looking for them to date correct your motor then they are worth it. I was fortunate when I got mine that the guy selling them didnt know what they were and I picked up a dated pair for $120.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Yeah, I have a 327/210 and am looking to upgrade it to the 327/275 version (or as close as possible) while keeping it period correct. Do they look pretty standard, though? Nothing that screams "run away" when you see the shots? $120 is a great deal! Nice find!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 3890462 Heads

There are no accessory bolt holes in the ends of those heads. The double hump (camel backs or fuelie heads) were great in the 60's and 70's, but there are much better heads on the market now. If your car is a '67 or '68 then you do not need accessory holes, unless your car is not original. Those heads only have 160 cc intake ports. This is fine on a 327 or a 350. On a 383 or 400, you will want bigger !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Joe A

I have a set of those that had some serious machine work done to them. I have a vid clip of my engine running in my photobucket account with those heads and I like um.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 09, 10:06 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 3890462 Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjoe63 View Post
I have a set of those that had some serious machine work done to them.
No offense Joe... that is what you have to do to them, to get them to work. A set of RHS Pro-Action heads will out perform those, at less money !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I understand there are better heads out there, but I am going for a period correct car.

So, Joe, what kind of "serious" machine work was needed and why? Was the work performed to make them perform better or was there damage or warping that needed to be fixed? Did you harden the valve seats or open them up and de-shroud it?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 01:01 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

That's a 66- 67 Turbo Flow Head with the Semi Open 64 cc Chamber or known as the Fuelie Head which were slightly different with a Closed Chamber 60cc chamber. Like the 68 Turbo Flow 291 casting it has no Accessory Hole but it's a simple matter of drilling a tapping as the casting is strong enough to support the alternator bolt.

These were Grumpy Jenkin's favoured heads and YES with a lot of work and "know how" can be made to Perform with the BEST; however the cost of machining today along with the lost art does not make it worth the price as you can bolt on Vortec or spend more and buy AFR's.

If you want originality or Ruled to compete with Stock Engines; as per Grumpy, then there is simply no other better LT1 SBC head.

Simply installing 2.02's /1.6 Valves and machine for guide plates can net you the stock 360Hp and 6500 rpm using a Solid FT 30/30 cam providing you have 10.5 to 11:1 Compression.

Grumpy could get them heads to flow well over 8000rpm.

By the way that Intake is favoured by Circle Track Racers who have to compete with Stock Intake Manifolds and Carbs.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Well, I have a 1967 327/210 with an all-original drivetrain. Right, it is the 64cc chamber with 1.94 intake and 1.50 exhaust. Being a 67, my car has no need for any accessory holes. Again, I don't necessarily want it to perform with the best. I just want them to perform as they were originally designed. Down the road, if I REALLY wanted to, I could always perform the work on them, but I doubt that will be in the future. I'm not a speed freak (believe it or not... and I'm 26 ). I really am just looking to do a period correct car and would like some advice from those with experience as to whether or not there is something obvious (that I'm not noticing) in these pictures that should make me turn and run...
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 01:14 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

You got it right then ;o)

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 09:51 AM

Smile Re: 3890462 Heads

Install everything and you will have a 275hp/327.

And install them w/ .020" thick steel shim headgaskets too.

It won't be correct for a stock 300hp/327 b/c they had the AFB carb on them..

pdq67

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Joe A

"So, Joe, what kind of "serious" machine work was needed and why?"

I had mine milled/decked for straightness, then had all new guides replaced, Hardened seats. Then I had the (exhaust valves only) increased, A circle track trick to make them push the exhaust gases out faster. I now have 1.94 intakes and 1.6 exhausts. No reason to go big on the intake because of the size of the runners. Then I had screw in studs, guides then I polished the intake runners. I figured I spent over $600 for the machine work alone. I had my machine shop match my heads to what I was putting on the bottom end of the block.

Yes as other have and had commented on the cost of doing machine work on these heads vs. buying new ones that flow better I went with a "period correct" head for my 67 ss350.

I say to each his own is what I go by and FWIW. I don't care for
Aluminum heads on street applications. Not with today’s fuel and also the climate you live in.

1967 SS 350 Clone ( not hiding it )
Never Ending Project

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Garage

Jeff,

I enjoy mine. They may not be AFR's or Brodix or one of the other top sets, but they move the little mouse well with a good cam. I had mine fitted for the 2.02 1.60 valves. Machine shop told me that there wasn't a need to go to the hardend seats as long as I wasn't planning to use the motor to tow with. Cars been together now for nearly 6 years minus a cam swap do to a locked up lifter. Gets decent milage and still spins the tires when I feel like it.

Brandon J. licence 1NASTY67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode