CAM Recommendation Big Block 396/325 hp - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

CAM Recommendation Big Block 396/325 hp

Well some of you may recognize me from the post about the back firing I was experiencing through my carb. Now that I have found the problem, I am in need of a new CAM. The CAM I had was a GM 350 hp cam. My engine is an original 396/325 hp bored .31 over. I am looking for a streetable CAM and may decide to go with the same CAM unless someone can recommend something that would turn out better than what I had. I am using the original cast iron intake manifold but would be willing to change it for the same reasons. I've already sent in a request to CompCams 10 days ago and have gotten no response. What do you guys recommend?

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 03:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: CAM Recommendation Big Block 396/325 hp

Eric, how did you determine that the 350hp cam was your problem???
Something's fishy.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was having backfire problems so I pulled the intake manifold. Once I did this, I found bad lifters on #2E, 3E, 4E, 5E, 5I, 6I, and 7E. I pulled the CAM and the lobes are pretty bad. Three of them are almost round. I'm not 100% sure why this happened except that I didn't know exactly how to adjust valves and the engine idled a lot for a few years without actually running. I have seen a few posts that talked about not idling a big block too much until you break the CAM in. I didn't know this and am still unsure of the reasons. Add this to the fact that I really didn't know how to adjust valves and here I am with a crapped out camshaft.

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Thanks Eric. I couldn't imagine a slightly larger cam being your problem. Good luck.

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 06:20 PM

I would pull her COMPLETELY down and hot tank her OR at the very least, strip her down and remove the cam bearings and all oil gallery plugs and take her to the car wash along w/ a qt of diesel fuel and a brush and clean her as best as can be done!

The cam metal crap will ruin another rebuild if NOT cleaned out proper, imho!!

As for a cam, you can run any number of 268/270/272 and even 274 hy-cams fine b/c you are up around 10.0 to + CR'd so take your pick.

Crane's old 282H08 will cackle great, but may be soft for you down low and it's about as big as I would install myself.

He, He!! Onna Harold's "Lunati 268 VooDoo's" will be SOTA and I'm sure he is working on newer, better, if you want to give him a call here..

(662) 562-4933

And if you do call Harold, then please say hello from ol' pdq67 for me!

And you can't go wrong w/ a UDHarold cam.

pdq67

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

pdq67, thanks. I didn't have the heart to tell him.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 09, 07:09 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
pdq67, thanks. I didn't have the heart to tell him.
I here you there Fred , not that I think Paul is heartless or anything He He , but sometimes I too hate to be the bearer of bad news.

He's right though ya need to clean that out the best you can.

Russ
1969 RS conv,hugger orange,396 4 speed,373 12 bolt posi.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Once you do a tare down for cleaning, I recommend the Comp Cams XM278H-12 which is in the same league as previous recommendations but you can't beat the flat torque band of the XM series and 112 LSA - especially for a 4 Spd tranny.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech

posts that talked about not idling a big block too much until you break the CAM in. I didn't know this and am still unsure of the reasons. Add this to the fact that I really didn't know how to adjust valves and here I am with a crapped out camshaft.[/quote]
The cam and lifters get oil from splash low rpm does not make alot of splash. On a hydrauic cam you have to miss the valve adjustment bad enough that it will not run right to hurt a cam that bad JMO.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well, I am starting to get humored with all of this. Seems like it's just getting worse and worse and I'm smiling about it. I'm thinking if it needs a rebuild, maybe I ought to do something a little more fun. Maybe I will call HDHarrold at Lunatic. For now I guess my biggest issue is getting the engine outa there. When I put it in, there were no fenders, core support, grille, and bumper. Do I leave the tranny connected or do I unbolt the tranny flange and flex plate and just remove the engine? Do I need to remove the core support, grille and bumper or can this stay? I can see the cam bearings from the top. Are you saying I should replace them or just inspect them? Can I clean from top? and then drain or remove oil pan? I need the advice to keep on rolling?

As for the valve adjustment, if you saw the CAM you would think a complete idiot adjusted the valves cause the bad lobes are practiclly rounded and severely scarred and some of the lifters are concave badly. The sad thing is that idiot is me. Hell, when I was adjusting the valves I was having a grand ole time. I just didn't know what I was doing. If I was drinking tequilla I would have a better excuse. You know what they say "live and learn". Let's just hope I don't repeat this!

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 07:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

LOL Don't feel bad! We've all been there. Well maybe not this bad.
When pulling the engine, I've done it both ways. Don't even think about pulling the engine without the transmission. Together is SOOOOO much easier. And with an adjustable traveler even the over drive goes in and out as a unit!

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 09, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Couldn't I clean this out by dropping oil pan, empty and cleaning it out, refill with deisel, remount pan with a a few bolts, then turn the oil pump with a drill. Do this a few times, why would it not clean out engine. The oil goes from sump to pump to filter to passages right? and spray top end with diesel from a pump up sprayer and brush. Maybe I'm missing something but I can't see how this would be any worse than bringing it to a car wash and cleaning it.

Also, I called Lunati today about a CAM. I did not talk to HDHarrold. They recommended a 00024 Bracket Master II. This is a .544 lift cam, advertised duration of 292/292, 1.7 ratio and lobe separation of 109. This is definitely different than the GM 350 cam but if it will get good idle, I'm not sure I care. I am running factory manifolds. My heads have a mild pocket port, cylinders are .031 over, stock valves, compcam springs, 3:31 rear gears, turbo400 with 2800 stall and quadrajet carb.

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325

Last edited by stope4; Mar 20th, 09 at 08:32 AM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 09, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It's a beuatiful day in Texas!

EricE
68 Butternut Yellow
SS Coupe 396/325
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Not to highjack this thread, BUT...

I finally found a guy to work on my car. Well after looking at it we found the same issue of some cam lobes rounded and since he is going to take out the engine I figure now is a good time to detail the entire compartment.

Anywho, I have a original 396/325 TH400 with 3:08 gears. 2 Questions.

1. What would be a good cam to install for stock?
2. What would be a bit more aggressive?

Also, is 4k a good ballpark to be for this type of work?

Thanks
Scott

1969 SS/RS 396/325 Convertible
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 08:29 AM

I'm sorry if I came off as heart-less b/c imho, a UDHarold cam is about as good as you can get.

And please either hot tank it or take it to the car wash. I've done several at the car wash after honing for a quick "shade-tree" overhaul fine through the years.

The deal is the metal "filings" from everything will continue to circulate through a rebuilt engine if NOT removed is all.

And take the crank along and use the wand to blow any crap out of it's oil passages!

Guys don't realize that a new bought reground crank can be full of shot-blast beads and I caught my 406's crank as such just before I sat it into the main saddles not knowing any better.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode