I found a 350 today with a few oddities..... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

I found a 350 today with a few oddities.....

Today I pulled a 350 out of some poor guys s-10 v-8 conversion that he never finished. the truck was trash so I figured what the hell lets see whats in the mill. first off it had roller tip rockers.... though hmmm. The heads are 882's but they seem to be freshly redone, the springs look new, NO sludge etc in them at all. Then I pull the timing cover, GEAR DRIVE....with a cam button? its one of the ones that fits under a stock cover. How good are these? worth re using?

Then I flip her over, pull the rest of the pan bolts, 4 bolt main (good) and looking at it it looks like it hasn't even been broken in yet, you can still see the hone marks on the cylinder walls! Score.

Long of short its a 39700010 4 bolt block from 74 it has the 010 and 020 under the timing cover, heads are 333882's freshly redone, roller tip rockers, and i am unsure of the cam.....

What do you all think? since I don't want to drop 1400 on a set of heads for the 327 just yet, do you think it will get me threw the summer? what kind of power would it be capable of? with headers and a torker ii intake?

Is there any way to ID pistons from the under side? I didn't dig to far because the engine if FILTHY. supposedly its been sitting since spring of 2000.

Later I will post some pics of my findings.

What do you think?

'68 Coupe 383 Small Block
4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers
Old School L-60 Mickey Thompson's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 03:56 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: I found a 350 today with a few oddities.....

Sounds like a decent find.... just need the rest of the list.
Heads may work out just fine for now.

Price ???

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post

Price ???
FREE!!!!!! Well my time to pull it!

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Ok here are the pics

Crank

Gear Drive

Crank Casting Number

Block Casing Number

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Date Code

The High Tin High Nickle Marking (one of them)

And the thing i just found and I hope its not a deal killer.......

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

eww...cracked starter bolt. lol...that sux. not a show stopper but definately slows it down. Youll have to put a stud threw it and bolt it that way.
Looks like a good deal. Id drive it. 300HP for free is never a bad deal.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:48 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Free ? sweet.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Wonder what the purpose of the Cam Button was; Do you need one for the Floating Gear Drive? You sure you don't have a Roller Cam in there? What do the lifters look like?

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Wonder what the purpose of the Cam Button was; Do you need one for the Floating Gear Drive? You sure you don't have a Roller Cam in there? What do the lifters look like?
It must be for the gear drive, cus that was my first thought! but no luck, definetly flat tappet, not sure if they are solids or not. there was no marking on the end of the cam either so I am gfoing to have to pull it to find out what the grind is.....

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 04:22 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC's 327 View Post
It must be for the gear drive, cus that was my first thought! but no luck, definetly flat tappet, not sure if they are solids or not. there was no marking on the end of the cam either so I am gfoing to have to pull it to find out what the grind is.....
The gear drive I took off mine had that same button and plate on the cam. I gave the gear drive and the Torker II intake away to a buddy who circle tracks and put on a double roller and Performer RPM. Just personal preference.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
The gear drive I took off mine had that same button and plate on the cam. I gave the gear drive and the Torker II intake away to a buddy who circle tracks and put on a double roller and Performer RPM. Just personal preference.
I am actually leaning towards the same thing. I have a newer torker II that I will probably throw on it, and i am really leaning towards a double roller. I was turning the engine over and it seems to have play as it loads one idler vs the other..... I cant see how that is more accurate....

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 07:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
I am actually leaning towards the same thing. I have a newer torker II that I will probably throw on it, and i am really leaning towards a double roller. I was turning the engine over and it seems to have play as it loads one idler vs the other..... I cant see how that is more accurate....
They don't stretch and don't break is the main thing. And some people like the noise. I spent too much on my exhaust to listen to the gear drive.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 07:24 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Quote:
That is a Pete Jackson Gear drive.I believe that cam button helps control front to rear movement of the gear set behind the timing cover. There should also be a thin thrust surface bearing behind that cam sprocket to protect that block. If I can find the installation directions for the Pete Jackson gear drive' I'll post some info on it.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

Last edited by 1969ProStreetCamaro; Mar 16th, 09 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Additional Information Added
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
That is a Pete Jackson Gear drive.I believe that cam button helps control front to rear movement of the gear set behind the timing cover. There should also be a thin thrust surface bearing behind that cam sprocket to protect that block. If I can find the installation directions for the Pete Jackson gear drive' I'll post some info on it.

David F.
Yep, it is there (thrust washer).... I figured out why it was there once I took it off....

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 09, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Date Code

And the thing i just found and I hope its not a deal killer.......

Pull the soft plug in the top pic and see if the back of the cam has a part#.

That starter bolt boss has a bunch of threads above the break. That broken area is where the GM bolt with the large shank indexes. Still enough left to work.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode