stubborn BBC motor mounts - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

stubborn BBC motor mounts

I am trying to swap in a set of ES Poly motor mounts on my 396. They are the stock 1969 tall and narrow rubber mounts. Problem is I cannot get the old one out.

I have the disconnected the Z-bar for the clutch, dropped the exhaust, removed the headers, fan, dist. cap, etc

When I jack (with plywood) under the pan, the whole chassis lifts. The motor mounts are not separating from the frame mounts.

I am stumped, any ideas?
I suppose I can remove the frame mounts, but trying to avoid that.

thanks!
Tom

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 05:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: stubborn BBC motor mounts

Yeah try disconnecting the trany mount and see if that helps (jack it up toward the rear of the block). Then jack it back up and if it doesn't come apart stick a long screw driver to help pry it apart.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 05:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Tom, don't yell at me. I didn't see where you pulled the bolts between the engine and frame halves.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

no yelling, at least not anymore
Yes I did pull the bolts.

Looks like I need to invest in a prybar - LARGE screw driver to pry those mounting tabs away from the frame mount. it is a pretty tight fit.

Tom
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
no yelling, at least not anymore
Yes I did pull the bolts.

Looks like I need to invest in a prybar - LARGE screw driver to pry those mounting tabs away from the frame mount. it is a pretty tight fit.

Tom
It will be tight going in too.... So get it close and have some patience look in the hole with a flashlight and adjust the motor from front to back and side to side. It will also help to us a punch or a Philip's screw driver to get the hole center, i did this last week and still had to smack the bolt a little and used a socket wrench and threaded it threw.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Thanks Skip,

Did you install the Poly mounts?

Tom

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 09, 06:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Thanks Skip,

Did you install the Poly mounts?

Tom
Yes and wow they are a tight fit. I was lucky enough because i had the frame mounts off the frame and i went a head to dry fit them with a little help of a rubber mallet to smack the motor mounts over the frame mounts. Then installed the frame mounts and motor after, still a tight fit but the motor stays put when its running.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

ended up taking the frame mounts off, but it also gave me a chance to clean everything up. Removing the frame mounts was not really that bad, the trick was getting the bolts started inside the crossmember during re-assembly.

The Energy Suspension mounts fit perfectly
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0227.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	9643  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 05:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
ended up taking the frame mounts off, but it also gave me a chance to clean everything up. Removing the frame mounts was not really that bad, the trick was getting the bolts started inside the crossmember during re-assembly.

The Energy Suspension mounts fit perfectly
Nice job Tom ...... What do you have planed for exhaust manifolds or headers.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I've got a set of the Patriot shorty headers. They are easy to remove and it gave me plenty of clearance for getting at the mounts.

This all started as a conversion from manual steering to AGR PS box. Since I need a PS pump and new brackets decided to convert everything to a March Serpentine setup.

This was just a good excuse to change over to the poly mounts - clearance between the headers and new PS box is going to be tight.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 06:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
I've got a set of the Patriot shorty headers. They are easy to remove and it gave me plenty of clearance for getting at the mounts.

This all started as a conversion from manual steering to AGR PS box. Since I need a PS pump and new brackets decided to convert everything to a March Serpentine setup.

This was just a good excuse to change over to the poly mounts - clearance between the headers and new PS box is going to be tight.
Awesome sounds like you did your homework . Take some pics when your all done and post them i and others would love to see the progress in the shorty's .

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 06:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I just put a set of the shorty headers on the 69. I had to jack up the drivers side to install the header because the steering box was in the way. The passenger side fit with no problems.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet69camaro View Post
I just put a set of the shorty headers on the 69. I had to jack up the drivers side to install the header because the steering box was in the way. The passenger side fit with no problems.

Holy cow that thing is beautiful and im very jellious... Mike boy is sure does look sweet.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 09, 06:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thats very "perty'" very nice I like fulie cars,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode