Header Leak???? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 09, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Welch

Header Leak????

How can you tell a header leak from a lifter tap? I had to remove the passenger side header. (At the time I was not having any problems with the header leaking or valve taping.) I cleaned the surface on the head and header (very clean) and reinstalled the header. I had a taping leak, so I changed the gasket again and the tap was still there, not quite as bad, but still noticeable. Could there be a problem with wires or the valve cover timing set at 12? No problem with starting or shut off. Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Header Leak????

To be sure, you might put new gaskets with a smear of hi temp rtv on the surfaces if you suspect sealing surface or collector gasket leaks. You did not say long or short tubes.
Sometime a crack develops in the collector cone area, where all tubes come together. Usually a gasket leak will leave a tell-tell sign like a black carbon streak between gasket and flange.

Might tell us about your cam and valve train. Yes , bad plug wires could cause a spark jump also, sounding like a slight tap.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 09:03 AM
Senior Tech

If all you did was remove and replace the header then I would say that you do have a leak.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
How can you tell a header leak from a lifter tap?
Get a mechanics stethoscope (they are cheap), or use a long scew driver to the ear.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 03:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Get a mechanics stethoscope (they are cheap), or use a long scew driver to the ear.
Can't get any cheaper than a piece of garden hose.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 09, 09:55 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Can't get any cheaper than a piece of garden hose.
No but one can get far more efficient...even after using a screw driver or long socket extension, a mechanics stethescope become one of those 'must have' tools.

Its good for alsorts of stuff...setting a hot water cylinder ajax valve, water /gas leaks, listen to your heart, or a knee joint grinding way...and of coarse an unborn baby...and keeps the kids occupied and out of your hair when busy.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 07:26 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
No but one can get far more efficient...even after using a screw driver or long socket extension, a mechanics stethescope become one of those 'must have' tools.

Its good for alsorts of stuff...setting a hot water cylinder ajax valve, water /gas leaks, listen to your heart, or a knee joint grinding way...and of coarse an unborn baby...and keeps the kids occupied and out of your hair when busy.
I like your answer!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 01:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

OK call me a dork but I actually have used fuel line with one end slipped over a little funnel that fits over my ear, I then used a rubber band to hold it on to my ear..

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 02:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Are you using good gaskets? Cometic makes a very good set. Also get 12 point header bolts. But first get a stethascope. They are cheap!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Welch

Thanks for everyonrs help!!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 09, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Tighten all your valves down 1 full turn and if you still hear the tick then it's an exhaust leak. Just kiddin - never, ever do that!! Sometimes it can even be difficult even with a stethoscope or piece of wood or whatever else you come up with . One trick that helped me before is I took a slightly moist rag (to keep from catching fire) and while wearing some leather gloves (to keep your hands from getting burned) just moved it around the suspect header flange areas where they mated to the heads and if there is a leak the rag will muffle the sound and be very evident. Even better if you do it while your engine is relatively cool.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 09, 01:31 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calpantera View Post
OK call me a dork but I actually have used fuel line with one end slipped over a little funnel that fits over my ear, I then used a rubber band to hold it on to my ear..
Like it! You deserve an A+ for innovation. Hopefully nobody snapped a picture of you during that very vulnerable time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode