oil leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage
oil leak

I had an oil leak which I thought was my new valve cover, received new chrome cover from Summit, (have new summit heads as well) installed with new gasket (rubber), started car and notice small black oily film (spot) at rear of head near corner and above last exhaust port below lip. It almost looks like it may be coming from header. I see a small amount of smoke but can't tell if it's coming from the header or valve cover. I can't imagine smoke from valve cover gasket area and it doesn't really look like oil is running out from valve cover. Will a header gasket leak blow small amount of oil out and onto head?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 11:21 AM
Senior Tech
Ken

Re: oil leak

There shouldn't be any oil comming frome the header gasket. Oil leaks tend to appear on the bottom rear corners of the valve covers. Try and isolate the location of the oil leak. Use a Q-tip or a clean paper towel and wipe between the head and the valve cover gasket. Start at the highest points, not where the oil is obviously collecting. If you need to remove the cover again make sure there is no warpage, put it on a flat surface and check. Check around the intake as well as the rear of the block where you're oil pressure guage hooks into. Good Luck!

Ken
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Using reinforcements on a stamped steel cover help and exchanging rubber gaskets for cork/neoprene material, chrome is hard to seal.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MI...0/?image=large

Remove the gasket from the cover, clean with lacquer thinner or BraKleen®, and seal the gasket to the cover with Mopar RTV, a small bead and install cover(s). Don't overtorque the bolts.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

I didn't think oil would be coming from the header gasket. I have the hold down fasteners. The other side is fine. The first install was with the cork gasket with gasgacinch, that leaked then got the rubber ones (figured that would be better) used the gasgacinch, still leaked, then tried blue rtv gasket sealant and it still leaked. Figured I had bad valve cover, sent that back and got another one. Used the other new rubber gasket and gasgacinch, seemed ok until warmed up, then very small spot showed up. I have the valve cover hold downs and the t-handle valve screws. Should I get the cork gaskets again and use the blue rtv gasket as well, this is really pissing me off. I don't think I over-torqued them.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Take cover and with no gasket and RTV, place the cover on the head.
Now take a 0.005"-0.010" feeler gauge about the cover-to-head junction to see if they is not any great distortion of the steel cover needing attention with a hammer and straightedge. The oil could be coming the length of the cover as the rocker arms splash the oil about inside, so you might look there also.

One trick I did was to lay a thick bead on the head surface and let it cure overnight.
Then, set the cover on - RTV becomes a great reusable gasket.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ron

Garage

These are brand new covers and they look clean. I used to use just rtv for gaskets, maybe I'll try that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode