Need Advice: is Original 327 the way to go? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Need Advice: is Original 327 the way to go?

Greetings,

I am just getting started on replacing some sheet metal on my 68 and I have a ton of other work ahead of me, but i am trying to get a handle on what direction I want to go with respect to the engine.

Right now I have a rebuilt 350, but after looking at it, my stepdad said that the guy did a poor job, used junk parts, and that it wouldnt last more than a year or so before I needed major work.

Also I was given the numbers matching original 327 that came with the car (V0928ME) which i believe what the 210HP with the TH350 which it still has along with the original 10 bolt.

So on to my question:

My goal first and formost is to have a reliable engine that I can feel comfortable driving down to Oregon or Cali for the weekend with, but at the same time I would like to be able to get on it once in a while as well. I dont intend to take it to the strip by any means, but at the same time if i see some kid in an import reving his lawn mower, I want to be able to remind him what a Muscle car is ..

Can I accompish this with a rebuild of my 327 without selling my first born and sacrificing reliability or will I need to look at a Big Block?

Thanks again for your input,

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
Brandon

Re: Need Advice: is Original 327 the way to go?

If thats the original engine that came with the car I would set it aside without modifying it. From there I would try to sell the 350 you have and buy one from a reputable builder or just have it gone through and built with good parts by someone reputable. A nice 350/350HP engine would be perfect for what you want and should not cost an arm and a leg.

71 Chevelle 496 Stroker Hyd Roller 675HP, TH400 3500 Stall, 3.73 12 Bolt.

ATK HP ENGINES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Custom Built Street-Strip-Racing Engines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 03:38 PM
Team Member
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
If thats the original engine that came with the car I would set it aside without modifying it. From there I would try to sell the 350 you have and buy one from a reputable builder or just have it gone through and built with good parts by someone reputable. A nice 350/350HP engine would be perfect for what you want and should not cost an arm and a leg.
X2 ....I would ABSOLUTELY keep the original block. It's only numbers matching once. Good Luck.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Build a 383 and use a TH200 4R.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notalent View Post
I have thought about what are are saying and it makes sense, but just seems like it would be great to put the original engine back in the car provided it would do the job. I dont want to ruin it by any means, but the idea of having the original engine (mostly) running the car is appealing.

I was thinking longterm about maybe putting in a Big Block, but have heard that might not be as reliable as some of the small block engines. I guess I should probably take a closer look at the 350 currently in and assess the damage.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

IS the 350 disassembled? Did your stepdad review detailed invoices for the rebuild? I don't know too many guys who can look at the exterior of an assembled engine and say that junk parts were used. If it is leaking like the Exxon Valdez, or running really poorly and blowing smoke, then I can see someone drawing a conclusion about a rebuild.

But if it runs okay, you may be getting bad advice and worrying for no reason.

Big block is a big change, fairly involved, and a lot more expensive. There are no general reliability issues with a big block; any well built engine operated as intended will perform and last as intended.

In other words, any mild small block or big block that is taken care of and not abused will last a long time. On the other hand, if you take a mild engine with stock valvetrain and rev tune it regularly, floating the valves, you're probably going to have a problem pretty quick.

So, do was the assessment that the engine in it now is junk actually based on anything?

Also, is the 327 complete or disassembled, and has it been checked and verified as useable? For example, if the 327 is already 0.060 inch overbored, or the block is cracked, or a cylinder(s) is badly damaged, then it may not be useable. On the other hand, if it has never been bored or rebuilt, and was just removed because the PO wanted a 350, then the 327 could be a good candidate for a rebuild.

I had a 327 (not the original) in my 68 when I bought it. I rebuilt it with an 0.030 inch overbore, new 0.030 pistons, turned the OE crank, and installed a Summit cam kit equivalent to the Edelbrock Performer. With a Performer intake and a 650 spreadbore Holley plus a GM HEI, it ran great and was super reliable as a driver. If you search using "327" here, there are many threads about how to build the mild, reliable engine your looking for.

But first make sure you actually need to be worrying about it...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 09, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

First, thanks for the response. I am just trying to get some feedback as I dont have a lot of experience with V8's.. My 68 is my first in fact. I am also a newbie when it comes to mechanics and I am trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can.

The 350 is actually still in the car and running. It was rebuilt by the previous owner and has less than 300 miles on it(supposedly). I bought the car two months ago and already I have been having problems. I had to replace the flexplate after it ate two starters, and the guy said the intake and carb were new, but obviously they arent. I was told it was a complete rebuild, but I am hearing some serious knocking and finally got my Stepdad to take a look at it recently. It was then when he basically told me that I should probably look at replacing the engine with the 327 as the 350 probably wont last me much longer considering I am already having problems.

The 350 came out of a 71 Chevelle and was bored .60 over got a new crank, comp cam, pop up pistons, valves, bearings, oil pump, and supposedly the intake and carb are new, but they look like they were new about 5 years ago.

The 327 hasnt been rebuilt ever. It has 58k Original miles on it from what the guy said. I dont think the block was cracked, but again I am assuming he wouldnt have given it to me if it was (at least I hope not).
I guess I should probably take a closer look at the 350, but mainly I wanted to plan which direction I want to go after I get closer to completion. I still have some sheet metal to replace, wiring, and the entire interior(and later suspension and transmission).

I want an engine that will last me years and that will give me enjoyment after I have finished everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode