Check out the rust on these cylinder walls - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 09, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Check out the rust on these cylinder walls

I'm trying to learn something here. Scroll down about half way and look at the pics of the rust in the cylinders. Notice it's on the top? I have a guy trying to tell me that this is from condensation of a motor that has been wrapped up in a tarp and from the repeated warming and cooling in a humid climate. The motor is not his though. I think he is full of crap but I might be wrong. I think it's from the motor being stored upside down with heads on and water got into the cylinders. That's the only way I can see it rusting on JUST the top and no where else. Look at this link about half way down and tell me what you think. Can just condensation cause this where it's at? If I'm wrong.....please tell me nicely!!!! lol

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=350816

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 09, 11:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: Check out the rust on these cylinder walls

I'm thinking it just sat for a really long time with the valve(s) open to the atmosphere and the piston sitting below the rust-line.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 12:31 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

A car stored with the Exhaust Pipes on the engine can really rusts the cylinders were the exhaust valves are open. Condensation in the pipes raise and collect in the cylinders. That's why it's best to stuff a rag in the Tail Pipes, pull the plugs, spray Rust Check into the cylinders and turn the engine over occasionally.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 04:15 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

I'm going with condensation as well.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

He's not pulling your leg I rebuilt a small V8 about 10 years ago that had the exact same rust and marks. The tarp thing really does not matter all that much, the V8 I rebuilt was sitting in an engine bay of a jeep in a shed for about 12 years. The rust on the walls typically will show from where the crud collects and up the the outer portion of the cylinder walls down to the pistons will look some what cleaner because there would most likely have been a bunch of crud in there kinda looks like mud from water and other chemicals and rusty flakes piling up. Once the rings seize to the cylinder walls the cylinders work like a bowl and hold everything above them. It may or may not be savagable depending on how long its been sitting. The V8 I rebuilt needed to be bored and a new crank, I also did a small outboard with the same problem that we got away with homing and new bearing/rings etc.

My 68's resurrection thread

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 07:37 PM
Bill

Dub,
That is not from water. If it had been upside down with water in it, the cylinder walls would have been pitted pretty badly. I have a couple of blocks that we bored and never finish honed a few years ago. They are sitting in my other unit next door to the shop and a couple of them are starting to get some surface rust on them exactly like that. The difference is that unit is only barely heated in the winter and no AC in the summer. I have some blocks and cranks that have been sitting in our main shop for 5 years and they look like new. Difference is heat and ac ... keep the shop at 75 degrees year round.

The damage in your case is definitely condensation.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have already thanked him for teaching me something I didn't know. Will make me more cautious when I'm rat-holen my next motor. It's a great group of guys on that forum. They know 67-72 trucks like you all know Camaros! I like them too cuz they dig my little pro-streeter that's in my signature. ;o)

Pssst......notice though when I wanted to get an absolute correct answer I posted it here!!!!!! Yeah baby. Me trust yous lots!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 08:49 PM
Bill

Dub,
The key is in the temperature changes. A basement or heated & air conditioned shop is best.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode