At what height from the oil pan bottom, should I set the pan pickup? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question At what height from the oil pan bottom, should I set the pan pickup?

I am assembling a 350 SBC with a OEM type stamped steel replacement oil pan w/stock baffle and a Melling MEL-M55 oil pump. What height from the bottom of the oil pan should I set the pickup/strainer assembly. Should I set the height from the block assembly to the pickup, or from the pickup to the bottom of the oil pan?

Also; how do you rate the one piece oil pan gaskets? I have read quite a few reviews, most of them rate the Conneco Gasket better than Felpro due to installation leakage issues!

Thanks for all answers ahead of time.

John Lighthart
James Island, SC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 06:44 AM
Senior Tech
john

Re: At what height from the oil pan bottom, should I set the pan picku

Install the pickup tube only part way into the pump so it still moves alittle. Put the pump on the motor and turn the pickup so it will hit the pan when you put it on the motor. Put the pan on without the gasket this will push the pickup tube down. Then put the pickup the rest of the way in the pump. When you install the pan with the gasket you'll end up with a gasket thickness distance from the bottom of the pan to the pickup.

67 camaro, 406 w/ 5.7 rods and forged dish pistons 10-1 w/64cc head, voodoo 60103 cam, 8.5 10 bolt w/373 posi, 350 turbo trans, 1 5/8 headers, 2.5 dual exhaust
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 07:21 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

3/8" is where you want to be.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 08:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mickey

1/4 inch is what I prefer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 09:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpie View Post
1/4 inch is what i prefer.
x2

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
3/8" is where you want to be.
x2!.......... Look in Chevrolet Performance Book.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 09:46 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Wink Re: At what height from the oil pan bottom, should I set the pan picku

1/4 to 3/8 and you'll be fine.

Personally I'd toss the M55 pump and run the Melling Select series 10552 with the 12557 bolt on pickup. On a 7 inch pan it'll be right at 1/4 from pan bottom and there is about 1/4 adjustment for you due to the holes on the pickup being slightly larger diameter than the pickup tube bolts. Drill and safety wire the bolts and you're done. The M55 pump is no longer recomended by Melling for a performance build, it's not the same quality M55 pump they made back in the 70s and 80s. Do a search for topics on the M55 pumps here and you'll see for yourself. Check out the Melling Select series pumps and see the difference.

Depending on what pan you run there are three bolt on pickups available, for 7, 7.5 and 8 inch pans (12557, 12558, 12559). If you decide to keep your M55 I'd suggest you braze the pickup onto the pump body. Some will tell you it's overkill, but the last Camaro I bought when I tore down the 355 the pickup tube was loose and ready to fall out of the pump. So it can and does happen. Wouldn't have believed it myself until I saw this.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Do your pickup first(1st) thing on engine assembly. No crank or pistons in your road.

Put #5 maincap and the pump, loosely fit the p/u. Put the gasket and pan. Reach in through #7 with a piece of 3/8"(not pronounced quarter inch) key stock or allen wrench and put it under the p/u. Stuff the p/u in there as hard as you can, and scribe it maybe. pull the pump and beat that junky press p/u in there. Or better yet buy a 10552C with bolt on 3/4"(not pronounced 5/8") p/u and some junky metric allen headed 6mm screws and tighten it down while it's still in the oil pan with your arm through #8 hole and verify the keystock or allen will pass under the p/u. Then you'll know what you got. Any other way is just a guesstimate.

Tim Smith
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 09, 11:59 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdbllr View Post
Install the pickup tube only part way into the pump so it still moves alittle. Put the pump on the motor and turn the pickup so it will hit the pan when you put it on the motor. Put the pan on without the gasket this will push the pickup tube down. Then put the pickup the rest of the way in the pump. When you install the pan with the gasket you'll end up with a gasket thickness distance from the bottom of the pan to the pickup.
i've always done it this way.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode