LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

454 Exhaust manifolds

Hey all...This is my first post ......I have a 67 R.S original 327/pg
restored and clean,It isn't a common car over here in New Zealand,
I have pulled the sb and glide and fitted a 72 chevelle 454,Oval ports
4 bolt pre-smog and th400.Using the correct frame mounts and engine mounts,The problem is the stock exhaust manifold (drivers side) is just touching the power steer box?? The original cut out (chevelle) would align up perfect if i moved the motor foward 3 inches but thats out of the question....Is there obviously a diffrence between the 454 chevelle and camaro manifold???? how should i attack this?? keeping in mind over here parts like headers are very very expensive
Thanks and look foward to being a member from downunder

Gav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 454 Exhaust manifolds

Do you have the correct Big Block transmission crossmember ? If not unbolt the transmission from the crossmember and push the transmission towards the passenger side about 1/2 an inch. Now, do the manifolds fit ? If so get a new crossmember !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 09, 09:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Re: 454 Exhaust manifolds

Gav, I have a 454 in my car. The ex. manifold is pretty close to the gear box but there is room in between. When I took the manifolds off so I could paint them, I accidentally broke off one of corners around the bolt/studs on the driver's side. Point is that when I went to purchase a new manifold for my 454 I had no issues finding them but they were all too thick and would not fit due to the gear box issue you described. I then found out that I had 396 BBC manifolds which happen to be a little thinner and fit just right. I was able to purchase one on eBay pretty easily.

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

Hey,Thanks guy's...
1st: i dont have the g-box cross member in yet,BUT for the exhaust manifold to clear the Steer box, the motor is along way off center
i've set the tail shaft center to the center of the trans tunnel.
for the manifold to clear the tail housing needs to have like
25mm (1 inch ) on the passenger side which leaves close to
100mm (5 inches) on the drivers side..If that makes sense??

Im thinking i could machine down the "Flange" of the manifold but that will only get me about 6mm (1/4 inch) clearance,so with the motor centered it will still touch the steer box
Finding a 396 manifold over here would be next to impossible,
So close yet so far........Any othere ideas??
Thanks Gav

Once your've had RAT.....
you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 09:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by R,S-man View Post
Finding a 396 manifold over here would be next to impossible,
So close yet so far........Any othere ideas??
Thanks Gav
I got the 396 manifold on eBay. Is eBay not doable from down under
Here is one for you...

Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 12:11 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 454 Exhaust manifolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by R,S-man View Post
Hey,Thanks guy's...
1st: i dont have the g-box cross member in yet,BUT for the exhaust manifold to clear the Steer box, the motor is along way off center
i've set the tail shaft center to the center of the trans tunnel.
for the manifold to clear the tail housing needs to have like
25mm (1 inch ) on the passenger side which leaves close to
100mm (5 inches) on the drivers side..If that makes sense??
With the engine on the correct frame mounts, engine mounts, and the CORRECT transmission crossmember, You should have the following:

Passenger side frame mount is approx. 1 inch shorter than the driver's side. This causes the engine to "roll" towards the passenger side. If you measure from the carburetor stud to each fender, you should have 1" offset to the passenger side.

I don't care who made the crossmember, but your transmission tailshaft MUST be positioned 1/2 of an inch towards the passenger side ! (This is very important ! This will give you the proper clearance !) DO NOT center the tail shaft !

If your crossmember was made for a small block, it not only has to go 1/2" to the passenger side, but also 3/4" of an inch forward, towards the front of the car !

Engine's tend to sit crooked, unless your transmission is bolted down CORRECTLY !

DO NOT install exhaust manifolds or headers until the transmission is in ! (You can install engine with exhaust manifolds on)

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Jul 11th, 09 at 01:00 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Thr tranny is not centered and the correct TH 400 cross member has to be used or you can use a Muncie BBC cross member (pictured) which has the correct offset.

Larger Dave
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 09, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

WOW..Thanks for all the info.....Ok heres my plan of attack
As i have to custom make a trans cross member i'll set the tail housing 1/2 inch to the passenger side.........This may just fit the manifold in if i
machine the flange down.......We do get E-bay down under...(although it takes a while for the pigeon to get here with any info )
As for the horror stories from this side of the world it makes me a bit
un-easy depositing money into someones bank account
BUT........i would be interested in buying something from Anyone of you guy's if my manifold can't be fitted???There is a huge market over here for the right parts at the righ price..(could be a good little income for us???)
Thanks HEAPS....i'll report back later tonight once i've been down to the MAN CAVE and had another go
Thanks Gav

you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

Hi ya again.......Sorry to "BUMP" an old thread up......Ok so my motor is bolted in,i found a 396 manifold but it was still making contact with the steering box.I fitted the original 454 manifold....slid underneath and positioned the trans 1/2 inch to the drivers side.......
The exhaust clears the steering box now BUT i had to space the engine mount (drivers only) 1/4 inch to roll the motor over a little more,Also the motor/trans seems to be under alot of tension to get the trans into the right position......What am i doing wrong???
Although from memory the 327/T5 i pulled was under the same kind of tension
doe's anyone have some close up pictures they could post of there big block into 67/68
mounts,steering box/manifold clearance just so i can compare my set up??
Thanks,all the help has been Great
Gav

you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 07:16 AM

You can use the '67 SB cross member fine by installing a 3-hole poly tranny mount in the pass side hole in the cross memeber and in the center hole in the poly mount.

Doing this will push the tranny tail over the needed mount and my car is done this way now.

pdq67

PS., and remember, the newer vehicles just used one tranny mount bolt so it will be fine. That's why there's three holes in it.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: 454 Exhaust manifolds

I personally don't like PDQ's fix. If you use a 1-bolt mount, you are offsetting the tail of the transmission 3/4" in what direction ? Remember the STOCK set up is 1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward. For Maximum performance, (no vibrations etc.) the transmission output shaft must be parallel with the pinion shaft of the rear axle. Also will stock headers fit ? Remember that 1/4" movement of your transmission tail shaft, can make headers fit or not fit, near the steering box etc. Will the 1 bolt trick work ? Maybe and maybe not.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

HI......All i have is a Power glide cross member,it wont even bolt into the original position as it hits the trans pan??? i have the motor/trans sitting where i think it should be now so i'm going to make a cross member BUT it would be nice to see some close up pictures if any one has some???
Thanks Gav

you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 454 Exhaust manifolds

You can't show it much more clearer than the above photo. That is a powerglide, TH-350 or 4 -speed crossmember. Small block picture on top, Big Block on the bottom.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

This is a turbo 400 cross member for a 67-69 Camaro. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crossmember.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	11116  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 09:38 PM

Sorry, I missed the TH400 vs a Muncie so go from there.

My bad.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode