Long time gone, pulley # questions - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Fivian

Long time gone, pulley # questions

Hey guys, I don't think I've been on here in years - I've been on two back to back deployments. Im finally back 'home' and hope to get some work done on my Camaro.

68 w/ a 327 w/ PS

Like others, my pulleys dont line up after my rebuild a few years ago.
I just went and pulled the pulleys off and the numbers are:
WP - 3788472
Crank - 3755820BC & 3751232BB
PS - 3941107DE

The only ones that I could find using CRGs list is for the crank pulleys which said it was for a 67 SBC and I just edited this because I found the PS pulley is for a 69 BB and maybe 68 & 69 small blocks. I've searched all over for the other part numbers and drawn a blank. Im sure I'll just need to order new ones that are correct, but can anyone tell me what these pulleys are actually for? So, that leaves me scratching my head about the WP pulley, which is the one that caught my attention as to not being in line w/ the others.
I will have AC (Vintage Air) - so if these pulleys are all wrong (which I assume they are), can you point me in the right direction? I've read that using the Z28 pulleys is a better bet, but might not work out since I will have air.

Thanks guys, and I hope I'll be on here bugging yall again like I was before

John

John Fivian
68 327

Last edited by JHunter; Jul 13th, 09 at 01:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Fivian

Re: Long time gone, pulley # questions

Ok, let me start over since I got no bites on the above post.
I need all new pulleys, and need your help. The pulleys on my car are all wrong so Im starting over.
68, 327 w/ power steering and Vintage Air AC.
First question - can you mix 68 Z28 pulleys w/ standard 68 pulleys - in other words, will the deep groove pulleys work and play well with standard pulleys. This will pose an issue since I have AC and don't have a choice to swap in a deep groove pulley.
Please check out the below list of pulleys and please tell me if Im tracking. I have seen the pulley matrix and the original part numbers - but since I don't have a vehicle listed in the matrix exactly, and original part numbers don't help anyway when buying new pulleys w/ new part numbers from Classic or Year One, Im still stuck like chuck.

If I CANT mix Z28 and regular: (Part #s from Classic Ind)
Crank: G7189 (2 groove, listed as a 67 pulley, but they don't show a 68 2 groove except for the Z28 style) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1
Crank Add-on (for AC): G7190 (1 groove, listed for 67 & 68 and as a match for the above crank pulley) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1
PS:K1093 (1 groove) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=5
WP: G8356 (2 groove) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1

If I can mix Z28 and regular:
Crank: G7194 (2 groove, listed as 67 & 68 Z28 pulley) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1
Crank Add-on (for AC): G7190 (1 groove, listed for 67 & 68 and as a match for the above crank pulley) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1
--- OR, K1059 (which is listed as an add-on crank pulley for PS - it says it should be used with G7189, which is a non-Z 2 groove pulley. http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1
PS: M1860 (1 groove - says its not for cars w/ AC, so do I stick with the one above?) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1
WP:GH1013 (Z28, two groove) http://www.classicindustries.com/con...rchCatalogId=1

I have the correct mounting brackers for my PS pump. However, if you tell me I need X,Y or Z pulleys, and by doing that I need a new bracket for the pump, please let me know so I can order it all at the same time.

Thank you guys, I hope someone will chime in this time.

John Fivian
68 327
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 05:48 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Long time gone, pulley # questions

The first thing you need to know is that there are pulleys for cars with short water pumps and for cars with long water pumps. There is also different sets between big blocks, small blocks and 6 cylinder engines. That means there are 5 sets of pulleys, and you can not mix them !

'67 and '68 Camaro's have short water pumps.
1969 Camaro's have long water pumps.

To tell which you have, the alternator on short water pump vehicles is usually on the drivers side. Vehicles with a long water pump usually have the alternator on the passenger side.

Your car is a 1968 with a 327. That means short water pump, small block.

Do you need the "correct" GM pulleys ? If not, this web site may be good for you.
http://www.hotrodchrome.com/pulleys.html

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Fivian

TJS69 - Thank you, yes, I didn't mention that I have a short pump. I didn't only cause I figured that would be assumed by the year. I checked out the page you sent, thank you. I'm not as much interested in 'correct', but functional and not really looking for chrome. Probably not too many people in the market for all new pulleys, and Im not real sure how the PO made any of it work. I've never had the car running, but during mock up I noticed the all to common "my pulleys dont line up" problem. That led me to looking up the original numbers stamped on them (my original post) and the fact that they were all wrong except for 3751232 = crank pulley extension.

John Fivian
68 327
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

John, why don't you check with your local GM dealer using the original numbers you found (Camaros dot org? http://www.camaros.org/pdf/pulleys-68-2007-02-01.pdf). I just bought two 68 Z28 crankshaft pulleys a couple of weeks ago and they were still available. The Z28 pulleys are the deep groove ones by the way. Last three numbers on the crank pulley were 533.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Long time gone, pulley # questions

Summit carry's a lot of pulleys. Some chrome, some plain steel, some aluminum.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...eyword=pulleys

Many parts houses carry the correct Camaro pulleys, but some are expensive !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Chevrolet Power Book, 4th Edition, 1980
3858533 Pulley crankshaft, 2 groove, Deep groove
3770245 Pulley, Water pump, 2 groove, Deep groove
3720616 Reinforcement W/P Pulley
9433722 Belt, Fan & W/P, 34 X 3/8

From the engine out, first groove is for crk, w/p, & alt
Second groove is crk, w/p, & A/C
Power steering pulley is an add-on to crankshaft and belt to P/S pump only.

Thanks to you and your family for your time serving. Welcome back, John.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 09:08 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

John first off thank you for your service to our country!

I'd recommend using the items Everett so accurately described, those are used in the 68 Z/28 set up. In addition to that I have a few other short water pump pulleys that might work for you. Yes you can mix deep groove with standard groove, it won't hurt a thing. I'd try for the deep groove set up though myself that's what I run, same as Everett posted.

Crank
3744043 2 groove (I have used this standard pulley with the 3770245 DG WP pulley
3858533 2 Deep groove used with 3770245 wp pulley
3916385 single groove added on to crank pulley for use with power steering

Power steering
3873847 deep groove cast iron Z/28 power steering pulley 67-8 (most were manual steering)

Water pump
3900434 use with 3744043BA per 68 Camaro assy manual
3790356 use with 3744043BA
3770245 2 Deep groove Spec HP solid lifter SBC 63-68 Corvette, 302 Camaro 7 1/8 diameter, small hub, 5/8 pilot hole use with 3858533 crank pulley
3724816 2 Deep groove 59 Corvette
3788472CG Single groove 64 Corvette 7 1/8 diameter
3876846 63 Corvette 327 / 300 hp
3942992 2 Deep groove, large hub, 5/8 pilot hole, rework to large pilot hole
3720616 Reinforcement, small hub, 5/8 pilot hole

Alternator
1970831 68-70 Z/28 deep groove 3.2 inches
3829387 67 Z/28 deep groove 3.6 inches

Good luck with your project!

Dave

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 09, 09:39 PM

And fwiw, ALL my 350SS pulleys are now on my 496 w/ a S/W/P!

That said, the only acc. I have is just a bolt-on crank P/S pulley and my alt pulley is a stock deep groove GM jobber b/c I bought it thinking that the low groove stock 350SS pulley was allowing my junk301 to throw my alt belt off at rpm!

NOT SO, my alt front bearing was going bad instead!

pdq67

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 09, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Fivian

Thank you guys for the kind words and support. 27 out of the last 36 months I've been down range and its great to finally be back home and working on the car.

You guys provided some great info and Im now able to move forward. I dropped an order from GM Parts direct, Year One and am about to drop one for Classic Ind as soon as I can track down one of their discount codes (anyone got their latest email? I remember getting one but must have deleted it)

Crank - 2 groove deep / 3858533 GM Parts Direct
Power Steering - deep cast / 3873847 = Q38 Year One
Crank add on - PS deep / 3916385 = 823N Year One
Alternator deep / 3829387 = KW608 Classic Ind
Water Pump - 2 groove deep / 3770245 = GH1013 Classic Ind

Thank you!

John Fivian
68 327

Last edited by JHunter; Aug 24th, 09 at 04:42 AM. Reason: formatting
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 09, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Fivian

Guys - Hopefully this will be helpfull. I accidentally ordered one pulley wrong, but based on everything yall provided and lots of looking in parts catalogs etc - here is what the original GM part numbers cross over to. Some I haven't physically verified (thankfully, that would have meant I ordered the same pulley from two sources), but by reading the descriptions and studying the pics in the catalogs, Im pretty sure its correct.

Hope this helps someone else down the road.

John Fivian
68 327

Last edited by JHunter; Sep 8th, 09 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 09, 08:51 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Thanks for the info John! Hope the project is coming along well.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 09, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech

i had a similar issue with my pulley, i had camel hump heads or something and needed a bracket and stuff anyways i actually i a cool speed shop that was at least willing to help me go through several pullies.. its frustrating dealing with catalog ordering at times and having to wait for the darn thing to come in than find out its the wrong part!

it about helping others
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 09, 09:30 PM
Retired
Jim

I have 2 of those 3755820 BC pulleys, they go to 67 camaros small block crank and also in 55-57 Vette V8's. They are single groove, 12 hole 1 1/16" center hole. I researched a bunch of pulleys I got in a garage sale about 4 years ago. hope this helps.
I printed out the PDF that Camaro Research Group has on their site, its pretty handy. www.camaros.org

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 09, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
John Fivian

Sorry to pull up an oldish thread - just got my 'last' pulley in the mail, Classic PN G1790 and it was actually GM part number 3751232 - not what I needed. Finally figured it all out and ordered Classic PN K1059, which is GM PN 3916385. Grrrrr
So, updated chart -

John Fivian
68 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode