Fuel Gauge Problems... - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Fuel Gauge Problems...

I have a 99 camaro ss and a few months ago, ( with a half tank of gas) my fuel gauge dropped to empty while i was idleing at a light. Ever since then my gauge has never worked properly. When I fill it up full of gas the gauge works fine but once I get down to a 1/4 tank it doesnt work. The needle usually rests on empty. Even with a half tank it sometimes falls to empty. Is this a sign my pump is ready to go?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 09, 08:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Fuel Gauge Problems...

It seems that all late model GM sending units are notorious for things like this. The fuel gauge going wonky shouldn't point to a pump going bad. When the pump goes bad, don't worry....you'll know it. It'll probably work fine one day and then the car will just start shutting off.

You can try finding the connectors for the fuel sending unit at the tank, then try to clean them and put some dielectric grease inside. There have been countless numbers of them replaced so you might be better off just resetting your trip meter with every fill up and watching it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 06:53 PM
Senior Tech
rick

Re: Fuel Gauge Problems...

if you pulled the sending unit out of your car and looked at it you would know why GM has had thousands of sending unit failures. they are a peice of junk.the float assembly rides on a peice of plastic and when the plastic wears out the collector moves away from the rheostat and there goes your reading. it can be intermitent or not work at all.chevy shops are getting rich on this one by selling new fuel pumps and senders as 1 unit. about a $600 job. i replaced the sender in my 2000 silverado for $25 but it is a pain in the a** to tear the tank out. mine went bad with 50K miles. more poor GM engineering and not willing to recall them and make them right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode