Urgent Help: Cant get 4 speed pilot bearing out of crank!! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Urgent Help: Cant get 4 speed pilot bearing out of crank!!

I know about the grease and a socket trick to "hydraulic" the bushing out but it's not working. There is no air that I know of. Filled it with a grease gun and have a socket that just barely fits. It feels solid when I smack it but it's not moving at all. Any other ideas? I can't go forward without this getting replaced. My old bell housing wasn't true and thus the bearing among other things is hogged out. Any help would be awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: Urgent Help: Cant get 4 speed pilot bearing out of crank!!

Check out your local mechanics shop drop down a deposit on this set up you will love it. The one i used and is awesome it is a something like a tapered drill bit with a grease fitting on the back. You thread it in to the pilot bearing very firmly and hook your grease gun up to it and pump away...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Here you go a link and it works awesome.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LISLE-55600-CLUT...3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LISLE...ayphotohosting

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:14 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Tip I learned from JohnZ a while back. Really simple and easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Easiest, least-messy removal method is to run a 5/8" NC tap through the bushing, then install a 5/8" NC bolt, and keep turning it when it bottoms out in the back of the crank - bushing will pop right out. No grease, no chisels, no mess.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:17 PM
Senior Tech
rick

get a bigger hammer! if no grease is squirting out you have a good seal. i used a 2# hammer and drove 1/2 socket extension into the pilot bush and it moved right out. i had to grind a little of the ridge off the extension until it fit perfect. skip, that is a neat tool never saw one but i will have one when i do the next pilot bushing.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Something I have used in the past with success it to find a piece of steel shaft that fits into the pilot bushing very closely. You fill the pilot bushing ID with grease, insert the shaft and give the shaft a few good raps with a hammer and the bushing should come out. If too much grease pushes out around the shaft then wrap it with some electrical tape to close up the gap and try it again. same principle as the tool mention by Skeeter55 but free if you have or can come up with a piece of round bar.

Tom

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirDave View Post
That would make sense except that thing is hogged out and I don't think I have a tap or bolt big enough. Parts houses are closed and I gotta "get er done"!!! lol

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Louie

How about a slide hammer and with a hook attachment at the end. This works really good.

69 SS/RS Fathom Green 454 4 speed

Bumper sticker- My other auto is a .45
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirDave View Post
What I have seen as a fail safe jack bolt to pop this out , Be sure and go back with a good GM all bronze bushing, Think Federal Mogul makes them too under PB-656-HD. The one thats in there probably contains too much iron and rusted in place.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Why didn't someone just tell me that my air chisle would blow that thing to pieces???????? LOL

I started getting desperate and walking around my garage. Thinking it was brass, I thought the air chisle might blow right through it and it did. No damage to crank. Old one out and new one in.

Just want to thank you all for the suggestions. I would have tried EVERY idea if I had that stuff. Just had to make due with what I had in the garage. Now I can move forward. Thanks again guys!!!!!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubs68camaro View Post
That would make sense except that thing is hogged out and I don't think I have a tap or bolt big enough. Parts houses are closed and I gotta "get er done"!!! lol
Do you have a tapered bolt that you could force/strip in the bushing but drill a hole in the center first and tap a small hole for a Zerk fitting and use your grease gun... This should work.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Good job glad to here you got it done.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 08:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

I know this is a little late to the party- but just for the record, you can borrow a removal tool from AutoZone.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 08:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Did you also check to make sure the one you installed is bronze and not the steel ones that most places sell now. Might save your input shaft down the road.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 09, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Yes.......bronze! Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode