to much advance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

to much advance

i have a 327 engine my 67 camaro, 9.1 CR, comp cam xe274, vortec heads, edelbrock vortec performer rpm, 650 dp, flamethrower hei, turbo 350 trans, 2800 stall, 4.10 gears. i set my timing with vacuum plugged at 18 initial, when i plug vacuum advance back in, it goes to 43, i use manifold vacuum, does 43 seem high, i was thinking around 30 or 32 at idle would be good with vacuum, do i need a different vacuum can? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Re: to much advance

Why are you using manifold vacuum?

1969 X66 PROJECT:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

it runs so much smoother with manifold vacuum.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 05:22 PM
Senior Tech

If you add another 18° of mechanical on top of the 43° initial+vacuum you could have problems. I would limit the vacuum advance to about 15°, about 10° less than you have now. This will provide you with about 51° advance under light loads, and it should work well.

You don't need a different vacuum can, you just need a method of limiting the travel of the can you already have. You can see some examples at:

http://www.kendrick-auto.com/ignition.htm

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

i contacted kendrick, they suggested a 10 degree can. would that be 10 at the distributor or the crank?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 06:23 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmjbad67 View Post
i contacted kendrick, they suggested a 10 degree can. would that be 10 at the distributor or the crank?

This was more in line with what I was thinking. It limits the travel of your existing can. Vacuum cans are usually rated in distributor degrees.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

i asked kendrick about the limiter, he said it would be easier just to change the vacuum can? if the vacuum advance is a 10 degree can, it would be 20 at the balancer, is that right, i just need to add about 15 degrees to my 18 initial.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 08:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

My Pertronix distributor came with a B-22 can - I recently switched to a B-28 can
What kind of vacuum are you seeing at idle and what kind of vacuum at steady cruise?

Lars paper will help you select the right canister
http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...c_Adv_Spec.pdf

you can cross reference the NAPA part number to ACDelco, etc

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

i actually have a pertronix flamethrower hei on my motor, i will have to check number on can, i know i have a 25 degree increase when i hook vacuum advance up, it goes from 18 to 43 when its at idle, way to high.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 09:16 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you hooked it up to ported vacuum where it is usually connected (above the butterflies), it would not jump that much at idle since there would be no vacuum until the throttle opened. It's odd that yours would run better on full manifold vacuum as that usually causes issues.

Also, adjustable vacuum cans are cheap. Yours may already have one. Look in the hole in the can with a flashlight and see if you can see a hex head for an allen wrench.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 09, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

motor runs alot better with manifold vacuum, smoother idle, quicker throttle response, read john z and lars timing articles, im just trying to find a vacuum can that will give me about 12-15 more advance at idle
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 02:09 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
motor runs alot better with manifold vacuum, smoother idle, quicker throttle response, read john z and lars timing articles, im just trying to find a vacuum can that will give me about 12-15 more advance at idle
What's your manifold vacuum reading at normal idle? You want a can that's fully-deployed at least 2" Hg. less than that. If your existing can really adds 25*, it's a real oddball - most only add 14*-16*, which is what you want.

JohnZ
CRG
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

i have my initial set at 18 with vacuum plugged, and when i plug into manifold vacuum it goes to over 40 at idle, thats what i thought, kinda odd, i know it would run alot better with a different one, is there a part number for vac advance that would give 14-16 at idle. thanks.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 02:57 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
i have my initial set at 18 with vacuum plugged, and when i plug into manifold vacuum it goes to over 40 at idle, thats what i thought, kinda odd, i know it would run alot better with a different one, is there a part number for vac advance that would give 14-16 at idle. thanks.
You can put a mechanical limiter on it and make it anything you want at idle.

What kind of distributor do you use?

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Randy

pertronix hei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode