Carb Whisteling Video - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Carb Whisteling Video

There was a post on here not too long ago but I could not find it on how to fix this. I have no leaks and my primary blades have not been drilled. Wierd thing is, I had this carb on my 383 and had no noises from it. I did change the jets and power valve before I put it on this pretty mild 454. Should I drill the primary butterflies? If you see anything else wrong with this picture let me know.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Re: Carb Whisteling Video

Forgot to add, carb is a #4779, 750 double pumper with pro-form main body.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 11:36 AM
Tech Team
Mike

carb whistling is not necessarily a problem other than the irritation factor. it has to do with the air speed being just right as it goes through the venturi past the butterfly. kind of like blowing over a wine glass with water, if you go a little higher or lower no sound, but get the angle just right and you have a whistle. try turning the primary idle speed down a touch and open the secondaries a little that way the actual idle speed stays the same, but air flow through the carb will be altered. this will usually fix it

800-233-0199 ext 457

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 10:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance

its over advanced

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 08:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagemotion View Post
carb whistling is not necessarily a problem other than the irritation factor. it has to do with the air speed being just right as it goes through the venturi past the butterfly. kind of like blowing over a wine glass with water, if you go a little higher or lower no sound, but get the angle just right and you have a whistle. try turning the primary idle speed down a touch and open the secondaries a little that way the actual idle speed stays the same, but air flow through the carb will be altered. this will usually fix it
X2 i can make my carb whistle by adjusting the idle speed screw down on both primary and secondary and i have the holes in my butterflies, if they are border line closed then they will whistle like putting your lips together and blowing... I agree with this post above.

Patrick that would be kinda nice if you can get that carb to whistle at all the hot girls walking by ...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 10:01 AM
Team Member
JohnnyRotten

i'm not saying i'm a carb guru... far from it

i had a carb on one car that was borrowed from a car it was intended for. i placed the carb return spring on the carb & intake where it suited me and all was fine.

i then removed the carb and placed it on the engine it was built for and had the return spring on the linkage from the opposite direction.

it whistled everytime i was on the throttle. it was really annoying too. i installed the throttle return spring the way it was on the other engine to the carb and wha-la... no more whistling.

again, i'm NOT a carb guru but that's what it was on my cars and it worked.

i hope i helped.

JR
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter55 View Post
Patrick that would be kinda nice if you can get that carb to whistle at all the hot girls walking by ...
lol! That would get me into big time trouble with the ole lady! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIFTY4 View Post
i had a carb on one car that was borrowed from a car it was intended for. i placed the carb return spring on the carb & intake where it suited me and all was fine.

i then removed the carb and placed it on the engine it was built for and had the return spring on the linkage from the opposite direction.

it whistled everytime i was on the throttle. it was really annoying too. i installed the throttle return spring the way it was on the other engine to the carb and wha-la... no more whistling.
JR
I will give this a try. thanks

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Hey Patrick did you get that carb fixed from whistling at all the hot girls walking by ...

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Hey Patrick did you get that carb fixed from whistling at all the hot girls walking by ...
Hey Skip, did you notice those nice looking valve covers? A good friend of mine gave those to me.

Ok, I adjusted the idle speed screw on the rear until the whisteling went away. This raised my idle some so I turned down the primary side. The whisteling was gone BUT when I mashed the throttle kinda fast it had a BIG hesitation/stumble! So I had to adjust the rear back some to get the stumble out. This brought back the whistle some, but not as bad as before. Why did it do this?

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 08:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Hey Skip, did you notice those nice looking valve covers? A good friend of mine gave those to me.

Ok, I adjusted the idle speed screw on the rear until the whisteling went away. This raised my idle some so I turned down the primary side. The whisteling was gone BUT when I mashed the throttle kinda fast it had a BIG hesitation/stumble! So I had to adjust the rear back some to get the stumble out. This brought back the whistle some, but not as bad as before. Why did it do this?
lol on the valve covers im glad they went to good use...

Dose the carb whistle with the air cleaner on it...

Whats the specs on that carb, jets, air bleeds, pump, booster and a/f screws...

It sounds like a lean spot.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Dose the carb whistle with the air cleaner on it...

Whats the specs on that carb, jets, air bleeds, pump, booster and a/f screws...
Yes. The carb whistles with the air cleaner on.

The carb is a 750dp with a pro form main body. The jets are 72-78 and it has a 8.5pv. I have no idea about the air bleeds, pump and booster, should be stock. Engine is very mild 454.

This carb was previously on my 383 in sig and did not whistle. I only changed the jets and pv when I swapped engines.

The throttle response is better on this 454 than it was when on my 383 and that surprised me. It runs great, I rekon I just need to do some more "tweaking" to it.

I'm putting some 3.73 gears and a posi in my truck now so when I get some time I'll look at the maro.

Thanks for keeping up with this Skip.

383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode