68 Camaro BBC Exhaust - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

68 Camaro BBC Exhaust

Hello,

New to this site, just picked up a 68 Camaro, originally a 327 4 Spd. I am going to put a 427 in the car and would like to know which 454 Exhaust Manifolds in the 70's or substitute headers will work to keep from modifying the engine compartment. Can the 454 Police Manifolds from the 70's work?

Any ideas would be appreciated,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 09:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 68 Camaro BBC Exhaust

Make sure you get Big Block frame mounts and a Big Block transmission crossmember. These will offset the engine about 1" to the passenger side. The transmission crossmember moves the tail of the transmission 1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward. This is important so your exhaust manifolds or headers will fit properly. The Hooker competition headers should fit with no problems. The Hooker super competition headers usually requires some modifying of the header tubes. You can buy reproduction exhaust manifolds that would also work.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: 68 Camaro BBC Exhaust

Thank you,
I am planning on putting a Martz front end as well as a 4 link. I suspect I can select the proper tranny crossmember from them. As for the mounts just use regular BBC engine mounts or are there special mounts for the BBC in the Camaro?

I have noticed repop manifolds for 73 and up 454's, that appear to be pretty short and compact. I will look for the headers and see what options are there.

Is there any thing else I need to worry about? I plan on putting a 5 spd in the car and using a Hydro Clutch. I am not sure of the exact Hydro clutch setup as of yet and need to sort this out. I want to make sure the exhaust I use does not get in the way of the Hydro Clutch.

M

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 09, 10:51 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 68 Camaro BBC Exhaust

Whoa ! That is a totally different ball game. If you are going to go with an aftermarket sub-frame, you may go another route ! I personally would not purchase a sub-frame without a gaurantee that a certain brand of headers would fit.

Is this going to have a steering box or a rack and pinion steering ? The reason I ask is because, the reason for the offset is to gain clearance at the steering box ! Now, if you don't offset the engine, most out of the box headers are not going to fit, because they are made for an offset engine. If the subframe has front steering, with the steering box and tie-rods in front of the main crossmember, it is again, custom. Which way do you go ? Whoever makes the sub-frame should be able to answer that. What exhaust manifolds would fit ? Let the subframe maker decide. No one else will know. Lemon's headers can make a set of headers for you, either offset or not, but they will cost you about $1000.

You have some home work to do !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode