Picked up my shortblock today! - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Picked up my shortblock today!

I FINALLY have my short block back! As luck would have it, I took my block to my machinist, he bored it, clearanced it, plugged the oil galleys, line honed the mains, decked it to .005, baked it, and was about to put my assembly in, and it was cracked. The crack was about 3" long parallel with the deck about 3/4" down from the deck in the lifter valley. SOOOO I had to start all over. He was great about it though, he found a nearly identical block, re machined it to my specs and everything for just another $400. Lesson learned for sure. even with all that in the past the block looks GREAT! all of the clearances worked out and the parts fit well. It also look damn purrtey to boot!

I will post pics once I pick up a new halogen bulb for the grarage, its to dark and the photos don't do it justice.

Spec's"
010 four bolt block
.030 over bore
Block Decked to 9.005
Line Honed
Main studs
Stroker clearenced
3.75" Forged 4340 Lightweight Eagle Crank (1.8999 rod journals)
Eagle SIR H beam 6" rods
Mahle Flat top forged pistons
Molley rings
Cleavite bearings
All ARP fasteners

Now I need to pick heads and cam..... due to the unexpected costs plus some (ohhh craps on the house the cash is getting thin) I never thought it would be so hard to decide what to get!

'68 Coupe 383 Small Block
4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers
Old School L-60 Mickey Thompson's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 02:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Picked up my shortblock today!

Your new shortblock sounds great. Congrats!

The machine shop should have cleaned and magnafluxed the other block before doing any machine work at all.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 03:32 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post
The machine shop should have cleaned and magnafluxed the other block before doing any machine work at all.
Totally agreed.

Ouch! An additional $400.00 for something your machinist overlooked? Like a cracked block after all that work was performed?

Once you get the bottom end installed, check the piston to deck height on each cylinder both sides front to back. Just to verify your deck height.

What cam and heads are you looking at?

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 09, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve69SS396 View Post

Well, that is my fault. I opted to skip the magnaflux after it was cleaned. We both inspected the block after it was bathed. It never had ANY indication of being cracked so we both figured it was ok. I really wonder if it finally gave out when he bolted down the torque pleate to hone it. Which in my eyes is good because it didnt happen AFTER it was all together and I put my heads on. any which way the 400 covered ALL of the machine work, AND the block, so I am happy. Crap happens.

As Far as heads, I am really pretty open, I think a set of aluminum heads with 200 cc runners or so with 64 cc chambers would be perfect, But I just need to see what I can find in my budget.

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 06:19 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Here's a good guy to deal with.... he's a member at www.chevelles.com

WWW.CNCBLOCKSNORTHEAST.COM
A Division of Hinkson Automotive R&D
We are WD on Dart, Wiseco, JE, CP, Crower, Manley, CARRILLO, Callies, King's Crankshaft. COMP CAMS, Diamond pistons ETC.

CARL HINKSON
207-892-7215

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 06:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

What about a set of Brodix IK200. Sounds like all your asking and low price too. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRO-1021001/

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

They are definitely on my short list.

What kind of power would they produce, and what would be a good cam for them?

According to the compression calculator I would be around 11.2 to 1.... which is a little high for the street.....

Hmmmm

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

Last edited by EC's 327; Jul 19th, 09 at 07:53 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Photos

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 08:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC's 327 View Post
Photos

Make sure if your are using the Felpro peformance gasket your drill the required hole in the deck as your head gasket instructions will tell you what need to be done, If its a stock replacement gasket you should be fine.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 09:42 AM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsdad View Post
Ouch! An additional $400.00 for something your machinist overlooked? Like a cracked block after all that work was performed?

?
Just want to make sure you guys realize that is actually a pretty good deal ....... If my shop had cleaned and magnafluxed the block, it would have been right about $200 to find out that the original block was junk. .... So for another $400 .... the guy found him another block ( going for at least $200 around here) and cleaned it ( $120 for bake & shot blast) and magnafluxed it ..... at least a $400 value ...... sounds like the guy actually did him a pretty decent favor. The rest of the machine work would have to be paid for anyway.

Anyone can make a mistake, we are all human .... sounds like this machine shop did the right thing in taking care of the issue

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Just want to make sure you guys realize that is actually a pretty good deal ....... If my shop had cleaned and magnafluxed the block, it would have been right about $200 to find out that the original block was junk. .... So for another $400 .... the guy found him another block ( going for at least $200 around here) and cleaned it ( $120 for bake & shot blast) and magnafluxed it ..... at least a $400 value ...... sounds like the guy actually did him a pretty decent favor. The rest of the machine work would have to be paid for anyway.

Anyone can make a mistake, we are all human .... sounds like this machine shop did the right thing in taking care of the issue
I TOTALLY agree. I think he was MORE than fair.

4 speed Muncie (M 21)
12 bolt rear end (4.10)
Old school slappers

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 12:27 PM
Senior Tech
Kurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post

Very good to know Bill, Thanks for the input.

Kurt
1969RS 14yrs into it.
383CID Lives
200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt Ready

Cold ones in the fridge. Dam, there gone. BRB

Getting closer to my goal.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 01:16 PM

Question Re: Picked up my shortblock today!

I bet it was a freeze crack.

I figure that it should have been found w/ a pressure check, imho. And I figure a "shake and bake", then bead blast may have hid it!

Glad everybody's satisfied.

He, He!!

You did keep the VIN off your block and check it against what you received, didn't you?

Know all about it...

pdq67

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 01:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by EC's 327 View Post
They are definitely on my short list.

What kind of power would they produce, and what would be a good cam for them?

According to the compression calculator I would be around 11.2 to 1.... which is a little high for the street.....

Hmmmm
93 and alum heads you'll be fine. My brother-in-law has a 408 Ls6 with 11:5.1 and is fine.

1968 Camaro Convertible ,350 TWIN TURBO , PTC 3000 stall, Hotchkis TVS kit / Subframe connectors, Caltracs, 9" rear, Street Star wheels (P275/40ZR17 / P235/45/17) , Electric cutouts. [B] .....FOR SALE.....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 09, 01:38 PM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
And I figure a "shake and bake", then bead blast may have hid it!

Actually it makes cracks stand out almost better than magnafluxing

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode