Hot cam kit - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Hot cam kit

Anyone have any experience with the hot cam kit in gm peformance 385/385. the stock cam just doesnt have the sound i'm looking for and all i am reading suggests the 385/385 with the zz4 shortblock and fast burn heads is a zz430 with the hot cam kit with 1.6 rockers? any help/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 09:52 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Hot cam kit

I had it in a fastburn 385 - it's a great combo. It idles pretty smoothly unless you drop the idle way down. I'm old - I like the smooth idle....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 09, 10:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane

I built one (350) and agree with Al it idles down to 600 or so which is a benefit for my marine application that "crashes" two gears together for a shift. I has a nice pop to the idle but may not be radical enough if you are wishing for a lumpy big cam idle. Great low end torque and adequate horses for my application.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Mine idles very mild, sort of like a 268 Comp Cam.

But the power range is fantastic

Don ~ TC Member #15 ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't mess with Texas!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 11:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Thumbs up Re: Hot cam kit

I have the hot cam kit in my LT1, it has a slight lope to it. Fun to cruise and drive with, super streetable. My setup (unported heads, headers) puts down 300 rwhp/torque.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 01:33 AM
Senior Tech

had that cam kit in my Nova with a set of vortec heads with a quadrajet and Performer intake. i built that motor way back in 2000, before i'd ever heard of anyone else building that particular head/cam combo. i always wanted to get a set of Fastburn heads for it..
it idled silky smooth at 800 rpm, and with a slight lope at 750. it had 17" of vacuum at idle, and off idle throttle response like a well tuned stock 350, but with a powerband that took off at around 3000 and went on until about 6500- but i could rev past 7000 like nothing.
it would easily knock down 17mpg with 3.70 gears and 26" tall tires with a T10 4 speed. i have no doubt that i could have gotten well over 20mpg if i had ever gotten that TKO500 trans i wanted to get.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode