engine still runs lean - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy engine still runs lean

this seems to be an ongoing project for almost 2 seasons.
i have a 350 sbc with AFR 195cc heads 65cc chambers, i re-camed the engine about 2 weeks ago with a new Comp Cams solid flat tappet 510in/522ex 226in/232ex, im using a Edelbrock RPM air gap intake with a 650 holley DP. its a 9:1 compression motor and i have 35* advance at 3000 RPM (hei setup).

drivetrain: th350 w/ 3000 stall, 4.10 gears

this has been a very frusterating project, for the life of me i cannot get this engine to run richer. if i free rev the engine and idle it i could pull out perfect looking plugs a good golden brown color, but the second i drive the car and put it under and load or just cruise around i pull out grey white plugs, indicating that it needs more fuel. the funny thing is that i have went from a 72main /80 secondary on my 650 all the way up to a 80 main/ 90 sec. it dosent seem to have any affect on the way the plugs look. the fuel pressure is fine all the way up runs around 6psi. i would think by now i should be pulling out black plugs but i dont seem to be anywhere close.
there are no vac leaks either...
what could i possibly be missing, ive never had this much troubble tuning a small block this simple
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 03:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: engine still runs lean

what vacum are you pulling at idle?
your power valve might be wrong.
or you can swing by and 2 heads are better than one?
where ya located in CT?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 05:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Dose it feel like its running lean at cruise and under a load... Something like a real crackling sound from the exhaust at that time and is your float level up to snuff. Someone had told me recently that its harder to read a plug now a days because of the fuel we run now a days, so white or off white might not be as lean as you think. I'm no expert but kinda in the same boat and i have a AFR meter and still see lean looking plugs.

One more thing that i think can run the carb a little goofy is a PCV may run the carb on the lean side.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 21st, 09, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

dawg im located in east haddam ct,

it seems to run lean crusing and under load , basicaly thru the whole RPM range even WOT, i have a steady idle around 700 Rpm and have 12-13 inches or manifold vac. and i do get a slight crackling thru the exhaust even under small amounts of load. and float level is right up in the middle of the sight glass if not even higher
is it possible that something in the bottom end of the engine could be doing this?

thanks
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
Vince

Really can't go by plug readings these days due to the additives in the fuel and such. The carbs are suppose to run leaner at cruise until the PV opens. I bet your OK.

You can try 4 sizes richer main jets. Just reset the mixtures and go. See if you feel anything. But, you will have to deal with a richer cruise.....which it may or may not need.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 05:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

richen it up or youll blow the motor,its better to run alil rich than to lean..why can you adjust the mixture or change the jet size??thats true what skeeter 55 said check your pcv valve!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

ive tried without PCV and w/ PCV valve , both run the same unfortunately.
i guess i could try jetting at WOT and keep going up and see if i feel a diff.

but again, could this have anything to do with the bottom end of the engine?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 08:04 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersk8 View Post
could this have anything to do with the bottom end of the engine?
I can't see how it could.Check for vac. leaks.Around the base of the carb. and manifold to heads.What exhaust do you have on the car?A restricted exhaust can make a car act lean by causing backpressure and raising exhaust temp.Has the car been sitting?I have seen rats fill a muffler up with crap and clog it up.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 08:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

What plugs are you running and what heat range are they? What temp is the engine running? Are your headers glowing or discoloring? Is there any surging at steady cruise speed?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Time for a dyno tune....
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 08:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Time for a dyno tune....
This would be the quickest way and you will be able to get some sleep. I spent 4-6 weeks trying to figure out if i was lean or rich (love that Innovate ARF meeter). Everything mentioned above is great info and should all be done.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode