header exhaust leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

header exhaust leak

I installed a crate 383 from blueprint. no issues except an exhaust leak on the center ports, both sides but the left is worse. The motor has vortec cast heads. Without changing the headers,( they were fine before), can I double the exhaust gasket? never tried it before.. thought I'd ask..Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Dan

Dan
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 SS 383 Stroker , TKO 600, 3:73
1964 vette conv. 327/ 300 freshly ,completely repainted. I mean everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
John

Re: header exhaust leak

I'm fairly certain that you can double up the gaskets... What kind of gaskets are you using? I had Mr. Gaskets on mine that lasted about 500 miles before they blew in the center ports. I have replaced them with the soft aluminum Percy's Seal-4-good gaskets. -It was a royal PITA, but so far so good no leaks. If you do switch to the aluminum ones, be carefull, they are like razor blades on the edges - I sliced the hell out of my thumb...twice.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

The fiber/ cardbord ones that came with the eng. I'll try the alum ones or double. why were they so hard to do? Thanks

Dan

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 03:40 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Get yourself a pair of the percys soft aluminum exhaust gaskets, they work wonders and they are re-usable!

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 06:53 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

In the old days we used to take the fiber ones and soak them in water overnight before installing. This made them expand and when heated up and final torqued they never leaked. They were a PITA however to get back off. Nowadays I use the copper embossed ones usually from Summit unless I can't wait for an overnight deliver. So far I've never had a leak.

Fwiw, I never reuse any gaskets except valve covers. Gaskets are cheap compared to the time you will spend and your frustration WHEN they leak.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Don't waste your money, go to the parts store and tell them you want exhaust MANIFOLD gaskets, each port has it's own thick aluminum/paper padded gasket that seals very well.

I had exhaust leaks with the crappy gaskets the header companies give you, the fel-pro ones are just as bad...

How is the quality on the blueprint engine? I have seen them advertised in competition products and maybe summit? Do they use name brand parts, they seem like a fair price but mainly dressed down for racing purposes.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 09, 07:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

That is the exact reason that I'm putting original exhaust manifolds on my 396 car! I'd rather spend my time driving than trying to fix header leaks! I remember doing that when I was younger...not a lot of fun.

67 3L 4P Project Car

I just had to have some wings.

67 RS/SS Pictures

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
dan

The motor is fine. Not really a turn key. lots of changes. flywheel, alt bracket. had to realign the FP. They don't tell you those things. ....Lots of opinions here. I'm probably more confused. I wonder if it has to do with the ports. the blueprint uses a late model head and my headers were from the original block. Ace , you mean a stock gasket for a cast manifold?

Dan

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Yes, a stock cast iron exhaust manifold gasket.
I use them on my Long tube headers, a friend told me to use them, I had my doubts, they were cheap, I tried and was glad I listened and wasn't hard headed.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode