BBC with SBC frame mouts vs BBC mounts - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

BBC with SBC frame mouts vs BBC mounts

I recently found out that I've been running SBC 302 mounts since day one. Now, I know that the BBC mounts tilt the engine towards the passenger side, by about 1/2 inch, but it is my understanding that the SBC 302 mounts make the engine sit lower in the cradle.
At this point in the game, after having fitted the headers and manual steering box to my .600" raised port heads, I am wondering if it is worth the aggravation to get the correct mounts...I think even with the correct mount I'll still have to "hammer adjust" headers.
Anybody has seen the physical differences with a BBC in the car using SBC 302 mounts vs BBC mounts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 02:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: BBC with SBC frame mouts vs BBC mounts

Ive had 350 small block frame mounts with my 427 in my 69 Camaro... When i installed the new motor BBC 498. I then installed the new frame mounts and motor mounts that seemed to give just enough clearance for my 2" Hooker Super Comp Headers without denting them at all. It also lined up my 4-speed Z-bar and centered the 7-blade clutch fan into the stock radiator and shroud.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: BBC with SBC frame mouts vs BBC mounts

JB, The Big Block frame mounts will roll the engine to the passenger side about 1 inch at the carburetor stud. The transmission crossmember must also be changed and that will move the transmission tail 1/2" to the passenger side and 3/4" forward. The rumor that the 302 sits lower is not really true. The 302/350 frame stands were to allow more room for an 8" harmonic balancer at the sway bar. These mounts moved the engine slightly back and if anything, slightly TALLER, than the 307/327 frame mounts.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 10:53 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Tom....have to disagree with you. 302/350 is the lowest setup in the chassis by a fraction. 1/8 over big block and 1/4 over 307/327. My understanding was it was for hood clearance as well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

Thanks guys, I think I'll end up ordering the correct mounts...I use a SWP and elec fan with an aftermarket rad, so these parts do not come into play for me...I did have to slightly ding up my 2" comp headers, and grind the manual box to make it fit (due to my raised port heads), but, if the correct mounts would allow me to install headers "sans dings" then I might just like that! I'm due for new headers...just couldn't see buying a new set to ding them again...
It'll throw a wrench at my plans to have my motor/trans and front clip back on over the week-end (I'm getting frustrated of having my front clip covered in my back yard)...but what's another week after having it there for the past 3 months lol!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Tom....have to disagree with you. 302/350 is the lowest setup in the chassis by a fraction. 1/8 over big block and 1/4 over 307/327. My understanding was it was for hood clearance as well.
Well, you are partially correct... The difference in the Big Block to 302/350 "through" bolt height is about 1/4" on the tall mount. This is at a 45 angle, so that would equal 1/8" in height.

The difference between combined height between the 302/350 and the 307/327 is 3/16" at 45 or 3/32" (just over 1/8").

You can not mix the frame mounts and engine mounts... They won't bolt up.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Jul 24th, 09 at 10:32 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
JB

^ that's my other concern: I bought moroso solid mounts...and to be honest I can't remember the number (not stamped where I can see it on the engine either)...they physically fit on the stands (width wise) but I believe the hole location is the same as the stock ones I had on...just hate to spend 80 bucks to then find out it's not working out...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

Go to www.pozziracing.com and take some measurments.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 06:16 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

are the repo mounts any good? Most of the stuff sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode