Engine Vibration - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Engine Vibration

OK guys I have an engine vibration at roughly 3200 RPM on my 327 in my 67 camaro in every gear. If I go to roughly 3400-3500 RPM in each gear it lessens quite a bit and this is in each gear. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 08:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: Engine Vibration

can you be more specific? Does it do it in park? Only when you rev it? Only when you floor it thru the gears? What have you worked on lately? How long has it been doing this?

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Sorry will try and be more specific. Ok the car started as a 327 Powerglide car. Since I have replaced the Powerglide with a Muncie that has been completely gone through and replaced the 10 bolt with a 9". I have left the engine completely stock I have only owned the car about 2 years and the guy I bought it from said that it had been rebuilt, but I haven't touched it. As far as the vibration goes to tell you the truth I didn't really drive it but for about a month with the Powerglide and 10 bolt that I don't remember the car vibrating or not. But if I am just going through the gears not hammering on it or anything just bring it up to about 3600 or so and then shifting just a smooth acceleration I will get the vibration in every gear at about 3200 RPM or so right before 3200 no vibration and a little after 3200 the vibration I wouldn't say competely goes away but probably dissipates by 75-80%. Now then if I am at 3200 and put the clutch in, the vibration pretty much goes away, and if I let back out on the clutch and resume it comes right back so I think this eliminates the driveline????. Now you were saying will it do it if I just rev up the engine in neutral I really can't feel any vibration, don't know if this is because the engine really isn't under any load. I hope this is enough detail if not let me know.

Thanks

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 09:27 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Either ignition is missing or you have wrong balancer (seen bad vibes come from wrong balancer installed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 09, 10:29 PM
Tech Team
Tony

Do you have a rubber or poly trans mount?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I have a rubber transmission mount.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Could be driveshaft related. Pull it and see if the u joints have a stiff feel to them or are excessivelly loose.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I had a similar problem with my 69 Z. I had the driveshaft balanced and it helped some. I later found out that one of the bolt "ears" on the trans was broken off. I only had 3 bolts holding the trans in. The previous owner I guess "forgot" to tell me.
I would say your issue is trans or clutch or even rear end related. Something is out of alignment. IF it stops with the clutch in, is probably isn't your engine.

I have owned 3 69 Z/28s: Garnet Red 30,000 mi unrestored.
Glacier Blue, documented Canadian Z
Rallye Green purchased new in 1969
1968 Camaro Coupe L30 275 horse. ]
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 07:37 AM
Bill

rich,
If it does it at the same rpm in all gears then it isnt the driveshaft. It is very possible that it is the clutch or the flywheel, I would lean more towards the clutch. Most factory and aftermarket flywheels for the 327 are pretty well balanced. I have however had several customers over the last few years that have had similar issues and replacing the clutch has always solved the problem. To fix it properly, you really should take the trans out and have your machine shop check the balance of the flywheel and the clutch. What brand clutch is it ?

I doubt if it is the damper since you didnt change it.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
rich,
If it does it at the same rpm in all gears then it isnt the driveshaft. It is very possible that it is the clutch or the flywheel, I would lean more towards the clutch. Most factory and aftermarket flywheels for the 327 are pretty well balanced. I have however had several customers over the last few years that have had similar issues and replacing the clutch has always solved the problem. To fix it properly, you really should take the trans out and have your machine shop check the balance of the flywheel and the clutch. What brand clutch is it ?

I doubt if it is the damper since you didnt change it.
BillK the clutch is a zoom clutch and pressure plate I bough from summit, the Flywheel I bought new from summit it is a HAYS flywheel. Didn't say this before but I do have a little shimmy or rattle when taking off in first gear. I know that is probably the clutch because as soon as it is fully engaged or past the point of the rattle it goes completely away. But let me ask you this if it was the clutch making the vibration at 3200 RPM wouldn't it vibrate with the car in neutral and the clutch out when I rev up the motor because everything would be turning, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Or maybe because it isn't any under real load, I don't know. I agree with you I don't think it is the driveline because like you said it happens at the same RPM in every gear so I can pretty much rule that out. I was thinking of pulling the tranny and looking at the clutch and pressure plate just to maybe rule it out. Thanks
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 09, 06:57 PM
Bill

Rich,
Depending on which bellhousing you have and if it has an access cover on the bottom .... you could try taking the bolts out of the clutch, turning it one position on the flywheel and then bolting it back up and see what happens. If it changes the vibration, you know it is the clutch for sure.

If it only does it under load though, you could very possibly have a missfire situation or some other tuning issue causing the "vibration"

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
Rich,
Depending on which bellhousing you have and if it has an access cover on the bottom .... you could try taking the bolts out of the clutch, turning it one position on the flywheel and then bolting it back up and see what happens. If it changes the vibration, you know it is the clutch for sure.

If it only does it under load though, you could very possibly have a missfire situation or some other tuning issue causing the "vibration"
Billk
Thanks for the help I am going to have to remove the tranny completely I have the an original aluminum bellhousing unfortunatly no access panel to the clutch. I will give this a go and see what I can find out thanks for all the good advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode