375HP/396 Intake on a 325HP/396 Heads - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Terry

375HP/396 Intake on a 325HP/396 Heads

I'm new to the Chevy Camaro world, but not the forum world. Before getting flamed, I did a search a couple of weeks ago to learn which intake manifold I could put on a 396 and still use the louvered hood on my '69 Camaro. In reading all those threads, I read where the square port 375HP aluminum intake could be used on 396 with oval port heads. However, I can't find those threads tonight - must be using different keywords or their order.

What intake manifold gaskets need to be used and what are the tricks to using the square port intake on the oval port heads?

For your information, I inherited a 1969 Camaro SS that is equppied with the 325HP 396. My uncle, who bought the car new in May 1969, added the 375HP solid lifter cam around 1971. I want to add the 375HP intake for appearance purposes (and a little more performance) and to use the Holley 780. I want to eventually get the right 375HP heads one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 09, 11:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
David

Re: 375HP/396 Intake on a 325HP/396 Heads

I have never tried this nor would I advise to but you should use the square port gasket to make it seal for the upper and lower areas. I am sure some the racers will chime in with a few tricks.

1967 RS/SS 4K
1967 RS D-2 Z/28
1967 Pacer 4P -
1968 RS/SS L35 Conv.
1969 Z11
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Terry

Found the thread I was looking for (all the way back to 2006), sent green z a PM, he answered, and I talked to him on the phone. Got the all the info I need on this topic. Thanks Kerry!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 05:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage

Yes it works with just the 375 hp intake gaskets as I recall. What you can't do is put the 325 hp intake on 375 hp heads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Terry,

I'm running the same set-up...seems that a lot other guys do as well. This combination on my motor seems to run very well, but I just got the car running this past weekend, so I don't have any real seat time in it (however, my "ear dyno" says that this engine should be putting out about 475hp ). Here are a few threads that I had saved on the topic.

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38548

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ake+oval+heads

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...t=degree+heads
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Terry

Thanks for the links cowboybob. I had previously read those, but not together. Can you still port match the intake gasket to the intake? My aluminum intake "reproduction" arrived from Rick's today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode