barry grant carb question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 09, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

barry grant carb question

hey guys, well i put a BG carb from a big block i had onto my GMPP 350 WITH 385 HP. I have backed out the idle rpm adjust, and played with the idle mixture til i fouled my plugs (its been awhile so this old info i once knew is coming back slowly), hooked up pvc and vac advance, but the carb still wants to idle in the 1500-2000 range. any suggestions..other than switching to fuel injection!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: barry grant carb question

Any vacuum leaks? Is something holding the butterflies open? Did the carb sit for a long time? If so it may need to be gone through.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs4732 View Post
hey guys, well i put a BG carb from a big block i had onto my GMPP 350 WITH 385 HP. I have backed out the idle rpm adjust, and played with the idle mixture til i fouled my plugs (its been awhile so this old info i once knew is coming back slowly), hooked up pvc and vac advance, but the carb still wants to idle in the 1500-2000 range. any suggestions..other than switching to fuel injection!!!
Is it a vacuum or mechanical secondary? Does it have a choke on it?

Technical Support At Barry Grant, Inc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BG Fuel Systems, Demon carburetors, Nitrous Works, & Rush Filters

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 10:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

My holley did that to me. It was because my secondary butterflies werent closing letting air through the carb. Just like mentioned above..I'd check that . Dont know how to adjust that on a BG though.

Gary

67 RS Resto-Mod 468 5 spd TKO600 3.73 12 bolt (work in progress but finally on the road!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

73 Camaro project in a million pieces
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 11:04 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraxUnderground View Post
My holley did that to me. It was because my secondary butterflies werent closing letting air through the carb. Just like mentioned above..I'd check that . Dont know how to adjust that on a BG though.
If it is a vacuum secondary or has a choke it will have a small black allen set screw in the base plate for the secondary side. If it has a choke it can also be staying up on the fast idle as well.

Technical Support At Barry Grant, Inc.

BG Fuel Systems, Demon carburetors, Nitrous Works, & Rush Filters
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 08:35 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

In addition to checking for open secondary, look to see if the butterflies have holes in them. And a longshot, look on the bottom of the baseplate to see if there is a drilled air jet dead center of the 4 venturis.

Tim Smith
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

hey guys, ita mechanical secondaries, no choke. aleady checked and no vacuum leaks that i can find and no holes in butterflies. i was hoping to avoid having to pull it but it seems that the only thing left to do is to check the butterflies and see if they are closing all the way as everyone has suggested. thanks for the all the input, i'lll post the solution when id'd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode