What am i doing WRONG!? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

Angry What am i doing WRONG!?

okay, so i just cant figure it out, my engine does not want to start and stay started for more than 5 seconds, also my coil gets extremely hot! this is my set up,

1. first off, i had a distributor that had the old cap, which didnt have the male ends on the 9 tops, so i changed it to a msd hei, THOUGH it is not a HEI, the cap fits PERFECT, and is identical to my old cap, could this be a problem?

2. my coil gets very hot, but this is after extensive start ups, well trying to start.. I have the main 12 gauge cable on top of the MSD blaster coil, to my distributor, i have the black wire from my distributor to the "-" negative of my coil, yellow wire, from "+" positive of coil to my blaster resistor. I have my Pink wire, that comes from the fuse box to other side of the blaster resistor. I do not have the yellow pig tailing off the resistor to a constant 12v power source (red terminal on solenoid), Is this wrong so far? My coil is a msd blaster 2, does this ONLY work with MSD distributors? or can i use it with whateveR?

3. My firing order is correct, double and tripled checked over and over, 18436572..

4. gas is just being vacuumed from a jimmy can, which is fed to fuel pump.. constant fuel is going to carb, and is jetting out everytime i hit the throttle..

what am i doing wrong, can sometime maybe tell me what needs to go where?

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 01:32 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to chvcmrrcr1969
Re: What am i doing WRONG!?

hows the timing?

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

cant really tell because it wont start

Vic
1969 Camaro SS

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: What am i doing WRONG!?

Have someone crank it while you manually turn the distributor until it fires. Or find TDC on your harmonic balancer. To what cylinder is your dist. rotor pointed ? This should be pointed to your no. 1 cylinder if it is on the compression stroke. To determine the compression stroke, both rocker arms to the valves should be loose. Did you do this when distributor was installed ? Once you are at TDC you can turn your the engine by hand so the pointer is at about 8 degrees. Your distributor should be pointed at the No. 1 cylinder. on the cap.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 11:40 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Have someone crank it while you manually turn the distributor until it fires. Or find TDC on your harmonic balancer. To what cylinder is your dist. rotor pointed ? This should be pointed to your no. 1 cylinder if it is on the compression stroke. To determine the compression stroke, both rocker arms to the valves should be loose. Did you do this when distributor was installed ? Once you are at TDC you can turn your the engine by hand so the pointer is at about 8 degrees. Your distributor should be pointed at the No. 1 cylinder. on the cap.
yep.. you can't tell your timing degrees without getting it to idle. but you still gotta check to make sure you timming is quite close to TDC (top dead Center). where your #1 Cylinder is all the way up, (your exhaust valve should just close (go up) and the rotor in your cap should point to your #1 plug wire.. then go and adjust your timing..

Bill

post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

when we got ready to fire, we had it on tdc, rotor pointing to no. 1 and the oil pin pointed to no. 5. After distributor went in, we went from number one and started linking up our spark plugs according to sbc order.. should i get back on TDC, and re adjust my distributor?

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1969 View Post
when we got ready to fire, we had it on tdc, rotor pointing to no. 1 and the oil pin pointed to no. 5.
Oil pin?????????

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 02:16 PM
Tech Team
Bill

yes, just double check.. also.. might you clarify what a oil pin is?

Bill

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Vic

pin that is visible when looking down the distributor hole, has the ability to move with a long straight head screw driver.. I read it in "how to build your sbc" and it was in the chapter, getting ready to start up, and timing issues

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 03:26 PM
Tech Team
Bill

OOOHH! the oil pump shaft.. alright.. wow never heard it called that.. I though there was something new in there I never knew existed.. alright.. well did you check your TDC and make sure your still lined up with the distributor in the motor fully seated.

Bill

post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 04:32 PM
Senior Tech

Your timing light will work just fine when you're cranking the motor.
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 04:49 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro1969 View Post
pin that is visible when looking down the distributor hole, has the ability to move with a long straight head screw driver.. I read it in "how to build your sbc" and it was in the chapter, getting ready to start up, and timing issues
Gotta watch those "How To......" publications. Most of them are written by "technical writers" without regard to the accuracy of they are actually writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chvcmrrcr1969 View Post
OOOHH! the oil pump shaft.. alright.. wow never heard it called that.. I though there was something new in there I never knew existed..alright.. well did you check your TDC and make sure your still lined up with the distributor in the motor fully seated.
Same here.

David F.

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 04:50 PM
Senior Tech
jeff

Have you had the car running before these changes? If so What did you change from the original set up?
It sounds like something in the ign. system isn't staying energized. Maybe at the starter, coil, or ign. swith on column.

1969 X66 PROJECT:

2002 C5 COUPE ELECTRON BLUE SOLD
1987 BUICK GRAND NATIONAL SOLD
1964 CHEVY II 406 SOLD
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 05:28 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

I'm bettin timing's 180 out...

Greg
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

If you advance your static timing for startup to about 10-12 degrees it should fire it up. Do this by getting your engine set at TDC for number 1 (verify with the cap off). The turn your motor counterclockwise until you have either the '0' pointer on the tab lined up with the 10-12 degree mark if you have a degreed balancer, or if you don't, line up the '0' mark on the balancer with the 10-12 degrees advanced marker on your timing tab. Then loosen the distributor and turn it to line up your rotor with the #1 post (HEI is easier because of the cast triangles inside).

Tighten it down and you should be close enough to get it started then.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode