Help Identify Smoke Problem Please - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Help Identify Smoke Problem Please

1979 350 with 20,000 on the rebuild. No modifications other than dual exhaust with no converter. No smog equipment other than PCV valve and it seems okay. 4 barrel Q-Jet. Engine runs stong, no misses.

I drive the car some what hard and then park it. If I come back about twenty minutes - couple of hours later and start it, the right bank smokes for about four seconds. The amount of smoke is substantial. The smoke is light gray with an ever so slight blue hue to it (almost no blue). There is no smell of antifreeze and it doesn't smell of burning oil either.

If I drive the car easy and start it about twenty minutes later, there is no smoke; only does it if I have gotten into the throttle. While driving, there is no noticable smoke, even at full throttle.

I pulled the spark plugs today and saw that the back right plug was all gunked up and black in color. I put a new plug in it and went down the road for a hard throttle session. Came back 20 min later and the smoke came back.

I did do a compression test of the right bank and they were all right around 110 psi. I do not notice oil consumption nor coolant consumption.

What do you all think could be the problem. (carb?)

Chris from Ohio

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Hobbies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 09, 11:22 PM

Re: Help Identify Smoke Problem Please

Hi Chris, I would check the valve seals. Were the stock O-ring types used for the rebuild or the after market "umbrella" type? Sometimes when the valve seals are bad, you will smoke after the engine has sat and restarted and then it clears up. Much success with solving the problem!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 01:07 AM
Tech Team
Gav

Hey just a thought...........i have had it in the past on a couple of cars......disconnect the brake booster vacume line,Take it for a real hard thrash..(remember the brakes will be crap ......then see what happens,The booster?master cylinder could have a leak
and its dripping brake fluid into the manifold THEN sucking it mainly into that cylinder
The smell you kind of described and the greysh smoke sounds very familiar,Also check ya fluid level in the master cylinder...Process of elimination
Let us know
Gav

Once your've had RAT.....
you'll never go back
67rs/454

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by R,S-man View Post
Hey just a thought...........i have had it in the past on a couple of cars......disconnect the brake booster vacume line,Take it for a real hard thrash..(remember the brakes will be crap ......then see what happens,The booster?master cylinder could have a leak
and its dripping brake fluid into the manifold THEN sucking it mainly into that cylinder
The smell you kind of described and the greysh smoke sounds very familiar,Also check ya fluid level in the master cylinder...Process of elimination
Let us know
Gav

I checked the fluid level in the master cylinder and it is about an inch low, but I have not checked that in years. I pulled the vacuum line off of the booster and the inside of the line is dry. Would this eleminate the brake fluid theory or should I pull the line and take it for a drive anyway? Thanks for the input.

Chris from Ohio

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP67 View Post
Hi Chris, I would check the valve seals. Were the stock O-ring types used for the rebuild or the after market "umbrella" type? Sometimes when the valve seals are bad, you will smoke after the engine has sat and restarted and then it clears up. Much success with solving the problem!
Don't know what type of seals are on it. I have done a valve stem seal job in the past on another car, so I could do that again. Very cheap, but I will try other things first. I spent a couple of hours on here tonight and got some other ideas. I am going to look at the distibutor cap and plug wire to see if it is firing. I don't think there are any misses, but I could be wrong.

Chris from Ohio

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 04:46 AM
Tech Team
Gav

Hi.....i would disconnect the vacume hose and go for a thrash just remember the brakes won't work very well
you wont necessarily see drips of fluid in the hose,when the motors idleing there is vacume that will suck the fluid into the manifold
Gav

Once your've had RAT.....
you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

If you have an automatic check the vac. line to the modulator.Could be getting trans. fluid in it also.

67 Plum Mist Met. 408 TH350 3.08 posi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check the exhaust side of the head on the outside for oil wetness. A leaky stem seal will allow oil in the exhaust and it will ooze out onto the head from where the manifold meets the head.

OE design is the umbrella on the springs and stem seal between the stem and retainer. Removal of the umbrella will allow oil onto the guide/stem if an umbrella stem seal is not used.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Okay, I pulled the brake booster line and went for a full throttle run. I came back about 30 minutes and started it and it still smoked.

Also, checked the exhaust manifold gasket area for oil and found nothing but normal dirty engine smudge from valve covers (not excessive)

Also, put a timming light on the hole in question and the wire is firing.

Here is a picture of the smoke, I hope this will help.

[IMG][/IMG]

Chris from Ohio

Last edited by moreair; Jul 28th, 09 at 05:30 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Figured out how to post picture finally............

Chris from Ohio

Last edited by moreair; Jul 28th, 09 at 05:30 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 07:11 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreair View Post

I did do a compression test of the right bank and they were all right around 110 psi.
110 psi is pretty low - a leakdown test will tell you where your compression has gone.

JohnZ
CRG
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
110 psi is pretty low - a leakdown test will tell you where your compression has gone.

After watching people do compression tests on youtube, I think I did mine wrong. I only took the spark plug out of the hole I was testing. On the videos, everyone was taking all of the plugs out so the engine can spin faster. What is the correct way? All plugs out or leave them in, or does it not matter?

Chris from Ohio

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Removing all the plugs will allow the engine to turn faster to get a better reading. Opening the throttle will prevent drawing fuel into the cylinders.

From reading your post, I'd say the valve guides and seals need replacing.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
george

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 Plum View Post
If you have an automatic check the vac. line to the modulator.Could be getting trans. fluid in it also.
x2^.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreair View Post
Okay, I pulled the brake booster line and went for a full throttle run. I came back about 30 minutes and started it and it still smoked.

Also, checked the exhaust manifold gasket area for oil and found nothing but normal dirty engine smudge from valve covers (not excessive)

Also, put a timming light on the hole in question and the wire is firing.

Here is a picture of the smoke, I hope this will help.

[IMG][/IMG]
That looks like a head gasket leak...

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode