Engine kills in Drive - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Engine kills in Drive

I'm a newbe to this forum. I'm a Corvette guy at present but I have had Camaros in the past. My reason for coming here is that I have a 67 Camaro 396 in my 68 Vette along with a 2004R tranny. My problem is at normal idle in park it runs fine. When I put it in gear it kills. The only way I can keep it from killing is to set the idle real high. I'm hoping someone in the Camaro community has some ideas for me. Thanks for any help !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 09, 08:08 PM
Tech Team
CHRIS

Re: Engine kills in Drive

too radical cam for torque convertor.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I don't know what cam is in it. So do I need a stall converter ?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Did you just recently place this setup in your car? I mean did you transplant this running 396/2004r into the vette? Please give some more info about this setup. Did you get the correct lockout convert?

Jeff G.
68 4-speed Vert
69 RS/SS 396 Vert
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff...Here is the only history of the car that I know for sure. The car had an M21 4spd in it when I got it. It was not a running car at the time. It sat for some years but nobody knows how many. The 396 was froze up when I got it. After a couple of weeks of turning a 1/4" each day with Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders I got it to turn all the way around. I then got it running & it seems to be OK...Compressionwise etc. Visually it appears to have been overhauled. By that I mean it has new main seals, oil pump, timing chain & gears. The valve springs appear to be new also. Everything I can see without tearing it down leads me to believe it was overhauled & never run The clutch & pressure plate on it were also brand new, never been spun. So, to your questions. I got the 2004R from a junk yard buddy of mine. I think it came from an 88 chevy caprice. I used the converter that was with the tranny. Today I tried a different Quadrajet that I had rebuilt & it seemed to go into gear & keep running without real high idle in park. It has'nt been on the road other than a few blocks around town. As far as a lock out kit I have'nt got to that yet. I'm looking at a kit from Painlees Performance Products for $168.00. I appreciate your input as I've never done anything like this before.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 05:29 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

OK that gives us a lot more info for others to help you out. Yes you need this setup.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70248

I had a 700R in my Camaro so I'm a little familiar with this setup, there is also what appears to be a kickdown cable and this controls the shift points/line pressure, but the car should run though, may have to investigate more on that. It is another kit you need to purchase unless you have it came with the transmission.

Hope this helps a bit.
Jeff G.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff.....I'm am using the TV cable that came with the tranny.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 08:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

if vacum hose is off on the vacum modulator (on tranny) it will stall once it goes into drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I don't think a 2004R has a vac hose. Does someone know for sure ? I know I don't have a vac hose going to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode