Did i buy the wrong motor? Got a circle track - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Did i buy the wrong motor? Got a circle track

My camaro is a weekend car that I just cruise in. It needed a new motor and my dad (without researching a thing) goes out and buys the first 350 he finds on the internet which happens to be a circle track motor, specifically:
GM Performance 88958602
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-88958602/

What exactly is a circle track motor? Does it have certain specifications or restrictions that make it impractical for street use? I'm afraid i bought something that may be tuned with restrictions for a certain racing class or may devour gasoline. I've already found that theres no place for a dipstick

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 03:26 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Did i buy the wrong motor? Got a circle track

Eh, that one is not as radical as some others that would be a poor choice for a street motor. Circle track motors are usually set up for power in a specific RPM band which you might not find yourself in with mainly street cruising.

You're going to need another oil pan though. Those circle track pans have a kickout only on one side and at eight quarts most likely hangs pretty low. The are pretty deep as well in the front as they are made for a windage tray and may not clear the crossmember depending on your motor mounts. Also, you may have a hard time convincing GM that a race motor is not installed in a race car. The warranty is void if used for racing. Changing the pan might cause warranty trouble as well especially since you'd have to put a new pickup on the oil pump.

Look on the other side for the dipstick. One piece seal blocks usually have a passenger side dipstick.

If the order can be cancelled or returned, I would do that and get a 405hp Blueprint 383 with two year warranty for less money. Also, Rock Auto beats Summit and Jegs by about $300 on shipped price for Blueprint engines.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3830CT1/

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled

Last edited by Steiner; Jul 29th, 09 at 03:41 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

Change the oil pan and run it. There is nothing wrong with that engine in a weekend street cruiser. It will not be radical at all.

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 07:00 AM
Senior Tech
John

Welcome to TC IKBU. What is the year of your Camaro? You might have to knock a dent in the firewall for that distributor to work. Its probably an HEI right?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Todd

Doesn't seem that radical to me either. 9-1 compression with peak power in the low 5000 range. The pan will be a problem with your steering arm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 08:37 AM
Senior Tech
Dante'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smits67 View Post
Change the oil pan and run it. There is nothing wrong with that engine in a weekend street cruiser. It will not be radical at all.
I agree!

69 Camaro SS
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 08:54 AM
Banned

Those engines on the dyno make 355 horse and 390 on the torque.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
jason

my buddy runs one of those in his limited dirt track car. it seams bulletproff.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Like others have mentioned, the pan may be a problem but that engine will work fine for you.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Anks for all the input! I went ahead and dropped the motor in. Got a smaller distributor with an external coil to clear the firewall. I cut a corner out of the oilpan so the steering arms could clear it. Haven't got it totally drivable yet. Hesitates when punching the gas or when in drive. Don't think my edelbrock performer is feeding it enough. It's a 69 camaro
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 06:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikbu View Post
Anks for all the input! I went ahead and dropped the motor in. Got a smaller distributor with an external coil to clear the firewall. I cut a corner out of the oilpan so the steering arms could clear it. Haven't got it totally drivable yet. Hesitates when punching the gas or when in drive. Don't think my edelbrock performer is feeding it enough. It's a 69 camaro
Cut the corner of the oil pan? Guess you rewelded? If that dont work , a decent deep sump pan would work. I would chunk the edlebrock and go small holley. Hook up proper crankcase vents and pcv valves, valve covers are an option.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 06:14 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

One thing to look for are factor sealed fasteners.Some circle track "factory spec" engines are sealed using spcial bolts that shear off if you try and tamper with the engine.They are designed like that so the racers cant modify the engines.If one blows up you send it back to GM,otherwise you race it as is.Most engines of this type are street type crate engines that are sealed for special class use.Good luck.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Yeah i cut and welded the oilpan. I bought a willys holly and it's waiting till I get a fuel line kit for the dual feed. The motor does have those "gm" tamper bolts on it. Thought those were for warantee purposes
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech

Not to hijack but Steiner I see Rock Auto's price on the Blueprint 383 is over $500 higher than both Summit and Jegs. AmI missing something?

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 07:36 PM
Team Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjp73 View Post
Not to hijack but Steiner I see Rock Auto's price on the Blueprint 383 is over $500 higher than both Summit and Jegs. AmI missing something?

I bought my 355 direct from Blueprint, it was cheaper then everyone else, especially the shipping. Ditto on that hijacking, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode