Exhaust -am i asking for trouble? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Exhaust -am i asking for trouble?

Am i naive in thinking i could bolt on the Magnaflow exhaust kits without any mods if i order it? I have a BB but have used the correct mounts so the motor is sitting correctly....and have a Tremec with the custom crossmember......I be stepping down from the collectors to 2.5 pipes and it looks like it will clear, but barely....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: Exhaust -am i asking for trouble?

From my experience with MagnaFlow, they seem to really do their homework. I have a small block and I got their 2.5" system and it went right on. The only issue I did have was, I had a driveshaft loop and the loop was installed right where the "X" fixture sits so the loop had to go. Other than that, it went right on. I had the system installed BEFORE I went to a TKO-600. The tranny went in with zero issues. The crossmember bolted in and there was no need to modify ANYTHING. Now remember, this is with a small block, but I would expect the big block to be the same, especially since you have the correct mounts and stands.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Exhaust -am i asking for trouble?

Please note, that with a big block you need a crossmember that moves the transmission tail, to the passenger side, 1/2 inch and forward 3/4 of an inch. Not all manufactures of crossmembers, will do this. The only way to be sure is to measure what you have ! Don't believe what they say or what they think they know. You will have trouble fitting headers if you do not have this. For the rest of the exhaust, I do not know if the offset will make a difference or not.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
Please note, that with a big block you need a crossmember that moves the transmission tail, to the passenger side, 1/2 inch and forward 3/4 of an inch. Not all manufactures of crossmembers, will do this. The only way to be sure is to measure what you have ! Don't believe what they say or what they think they know. You will have trouble fitting headers if you do not have this. For the rest of the exhaust, I do not know if the offset will make a difference or not.
thanks i think im ok on that..the crossmember came with the conversion kit for the TKO specified for a BB...had no issues with the headers (other than a slight dimple for the steering box) or alignment with the driveshaft .....if i were to come straight off the collectors, i would hit the crossmember, but the reducers should make the pipe just miss (i hope)

Last edited by mpaq; Jul 29th, 09 at 11:46 AM. Reason: clarity
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaq View Post
thanks i think im ok on that..the crossmember came with the conversion kit for the TKO specified for a BB...had no issues with the headers (other than a slight dimple for the steering box) or alignment with the driveshaft .....if i were to come straight off the collectors, i would hit the crossmember, but the reducers should make the pipe just miss (i hope)
This is what I am concerned about. You must measure your crossmember. You should not have had to Dimple your headers. You can only measure for the 1/2" offset. The 3/4" is from the small blocks location.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 01:00 PM
Senior Tech

there is always going to be a little fabrication when putting exhaust on the car- no two cars are the same, and there are a lot of different headers out there.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 09, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Novaderrik, Headers are not usually the problem. Either somebody changed something from stock or they do not have the correct pieces.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode