Whats wrong with my 69? Why isn't the exhaust loud? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Whats wrong with my 69? Why isn't the exhaust loud?

I just purchased a 69 camaro with a 350, longtube headers, and stock exhaust. I wanted hear my car rumble so I installed a 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust with an X-pipe and used 2.5" pipes. When I turned it on I was very disappointed because it was nowhere near as loud as I expected it. Honestly it sounds very quiet for a muscle car with headers, yet the engine sounds very healthy and the air that comes out of the exhaust tips comes out with a lot of pressure. I don't know what to do to it to make it sound loud. Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech
Vic

Re: Whats wrong with my 69? Why isn't the exhaust loud?

plates in the exhaust, perhaps deadening the exhaust

Vic
1969 Camaro SS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:14 AM
Senior Tech
AJ

The X-pipe makes things quiet but the hp/tq gains are way too good to remove it, it would be foolish to do it just to attain sound. Have you considered cut outs? What is your motors compression ratio and cam size? 40 series are VERY loud with a good sized cam and powerful motor, almost annoying. After driving the car enough you will begin to hate more noise and you will get unwanted attention(ricers, 100 rednecks wanting to run you in their beaters)... In stall glass packs (which I don't recommend to anyone) or get a cut out.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

Last edited by ace's68; Jul 30th, 09 at 12:41 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:38 AM
Tech Team
Bill

Send a message via AIM to chvcmrrcr1969

I got 40 series in a monte carlo 305 with manifolds.. not really super loud but its nice deep muscle car tone.. I also think the X pipe is quieting your system.. I don't like glass packs much either it just don't sound right. are you trying for that deep sound or just loud rawr.

is there a way you can record the sound and post it..

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 04:27 AM
Senior Tech
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by king69 View Post
I just purchased a 69 camaro with a 350, longtube headers, and stock exhaust. I wanted hear my car rumble so I installed a 40 series flowmaster dual exhaust with an X-pipe and used 2.5" pipes. When I turned it on I was very disappointed because it was nowhere near as loud as I expected it. Honestly it sounds very quiet for a muscle car with headers, yet the engine sounds very healthy and the air that comes out of the exhaust tips comes out with a lot of pressure. I don't know what to do to it to make it sound loud. Please help!
Hey...welcome to the site.

Unbolt that exhaust system and i'll bet you a bolgna sandwich it will scare the hell out of small children and make dogs run with fear.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 10:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
The X-pipe makes things quiet but the hp/tq gains are way too good to remove it, it would be foolish to do it just to attain sound. Have you considered cut outs? What is your motors compression ratio and cam size? 40 series are VERY loud with a good sized cam and powerful motor, almost annoying. After driving the car enough you will begin to hate more noise and you will get unwanted attention(ricers, 100 rednecks wanting to run you in their beaters)... In stall glass packs (which I don't recommend to anyone) or get a cut out.

X2 on cam and compression.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:05 AM
Banned
Ron

You must have a stock or mild cam profile!.....A motor with high compression and a cam with longer exhaust duration and higher flowing cylinder heads with larger exhaust valves will produce your desired exhaust sound!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:51 AM
Senior Tech
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace's68 View Post
40 series are VERY loud with a good sized cam and powerful motor, almost annoying. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdld17 View Post
X2 on cam and compression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
You must have a stock or mild cam profile!.....A motor with high compression and a cam with longer exhaust duration and higher flowing cylinder heads with larger exhaust valves will produce your desired exhaust sound!
x4
I had 40's on my 10.5cr 500hp 383 and the drone was almost ear pierceing! I sold that engine and installed a mild 454 on the same exhaust and it was much quieter.

69RS/SS,383,10:1cr,4.10,60ft1.6sec,1/[email protected],1/[email protected],Vicjr,RPMheads,750dp, Proform main body, cam,246*-250*@.050,.510,522,1.6rr,700r4,3200stall
383 IS SOLD!
Building a 489BBC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
engine, exhaust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode