Engine slowly died - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Engine slowly died

Last night i connected my gas pedal linkage to the carb and to the Blower butterfly, after making couple position changes (just link hole changes)nothing to the carb or adjustments. The reason for this was because the butterfly on the blower was getting stuck and flipping over at full throttle. Anyways, i started the car. It started fine, after about 30 seconds of idle the car started to slowly die down and it turned off. Tried to started it couple of times and no luck. After many attemts the battery ran dry. I jumped the car and it finally started but ran for a short time and turned off again. I do not think it has nothing to do with the carb because i did not change anything on it. Im battery is completely dead right now.i will replace it with a different one tonight, but i think my alternator took a shi%. What do you guys think the problem might be?

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage
Re: Engine slowly died

You have a bug catcher style scoop on top of your carb. The butterflys on the scoop are probably closing too far. Open them up and it should be fine.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage
Send a message via AIM to PROZ11

I'm not sure if you have enough info in your questions to figure out the problem. What did you do to the car? Was it running okay before? Also, if the battery is completely dead and you think your alternator is also dead, that could be your problem. Not enough voltage for the ignition system. What ignition are you running? Also if you think it has something to do with the scoop just take it off and see if it runs.

Pro Street Z11 clone

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:27 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Engine slowly died

Otherwise, It ran out of gas !

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

If you look at the pictures in this thread you will understand what he is talking about. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=161058

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter

Last edited by Steve69SS396; Jul 30th, 09 at 11:47 AM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage

Okay, I checked out the thread. There a few things you'll need to check to see if this is fuel or ignition related or both. You really need to address the battery and or alternator issues. If they are both dead you're kind of wasting you time checking other things. The MSD will not function very well on really low voltage and could be the problem or contribute to it. What is the fuel pressure gauge reading while this is going on? When the car dies does what does the fuel pressure look like? Is it low before the car starts to die? Does it gradually drop with RPM when it's cutting out? Did you add this blower recently or has it always been on the car? While the car is running how much vaccum in the boost gauge reading?

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

The blower has always been on the car and never had this happen to me.It was running great before. I took out the blower and filter, and when i start it i see the fuel squirting in the carb. So i know im getting fuel to the carb and the gage is at 5-6 psi. At idel, i get about 5 psi boost. But now it doesnet run long enough to see what kind of numbers im getting. I will try the new battery first.
when i jumped the battery, it felt like the alternator was not charging the battery and the car dies because the battery would just drain out.
The rpm drops slowly and starts to bog till it turns off. I also noticed the fuel started leaking from the carb cuz it was not burning it.

1969 SS camaro,emerald green with white hockey stripe.383 stroker with weiand supercharger.12 bolt 373 gears. 4 speed.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako View Post
The blower has always been on the car and never had this happen to me.It was running great before. I took out the blower and filter, and when i start it i see the fuel squirting in the carb. So i know im getting fuel to the carb and the gage is at 5-6 psi. At idel, i get about 5 psi boost. But now it doesnet run long enough to see what kind of numbers im getting. I will try the new battery first.
when i jumped the battery, it felt like the alternator was not charging the battery and the car dies because the battery would just drain out.
The rpm drops slowly and starts to bog till it turns off. I also noticed the fuel started leaking from the carb cuz it was not burning it.
Does it run OK without the scoop?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

No, i took it off. Does the same thing.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
MARK

Garage

It sounds like too much fuel is choking it. You say you see gas "squirting" in the carb? Is that at idle? Or are you seeing a normal amount of vaporized gas being drawn through the carb into the blower? It shouldn't be squitring the fuel at idle. The fuel leaking from the carb may also be because there's too much flowing. Fuel doesn't burn it in the carb so it's not that it isn't being burned causing the leak.

Pro Street Z11 clone

YOUTUBE VIDEO:

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Ok, last night i got a new battery and also took in the alternator to get it checked. Well, the alternator failed the test and I had to buy a new one. Put them on the car and still have the same problem. It cranks, but will not turn over. After i turn the ignition to off position and check the inside of the carb and i notice excessive amount of fuel dripping down into the throttle from the booster and not the squirter. Oh and its in the secondary ( the back).
I tried to adjust the fuel/air mixtures and idle screw but nothing seems to work. I do not know too much about carbs. Does anybody know what might be coussing to much fuel to the back of the carb when trying to start the car? or is this normal, and there is another issue someplace else?

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

Can this be coused by the spark plugs?
They are fairly new, but when i pulled it out couple of weeks ago i noticed they were fould with black smoke and some oil.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 11:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako View Post
Ok, last night i got a new battery and also took in the alternator to get it checked. Well, the alternator failed the test and I had to buy a new one. Put them on the car and still have the same problem. It cranks, but will not turn over. After i turn the ignition to off position and check the inside of the carb and i notice excessive amount of fuel dripping down into the throttle from the booster and not the squirter. Oh and its in the secondary ( the back).
I tried to adjust the fuel/air mixtures and idle screw but nothing seems to work. I do not know too much about carbs. Does anybody know what might be coussing to much fuel to the back of the carb when trying to start the car? or is this normal, and there is another issue someplace else?
There is probably something stuck in the needle and seat on the secondaries. Pull it out and clean it.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
sako

What needle are you talking about Steve?
You suggest i take out the whole carb and clean it.
Is there anything I should know about cleaning a carb. What to stay away from and what parts to spray down. Do i have to open it all up and get into the jets and all that or just a jeneral spray down.
I like to save money and work on my own car. Is this something a proffesional should handle. Messing with the carb kind of scares me.
I like to get it started and driveable to get it to the dyno tune shop.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 04:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

See the picture below, I circled where the needle and seat are removed from. The screw on top locks it in place. Just break the screw loose on top and then turn the nut to unthread the needle and seat assembly from the bowl. I have also included a pic of the assy. Just blow through it to dislodge any dirt and reinstall. Make sure you reset the float height by removing the sight plug on the side of the bowl and adjust the nut until fuel is level with the sight plug hole. Make sure you tighten the screw on the top of the needle & seat and reinstall the sight plug.

If this does not stop the fuel you may need to replace the needle and seat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode