Worn rings? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

Worn rings?

I tore down the motor in my 68 to try and figure out if anything was wrong with it and to change the cam (couldn't get valve timing right, and wasn't satisfied with the idle) and decided to also change the heads to a set of vortecs I have, when I got down to the short block I noticed I could push the pistons side to side when they are at top dead, do I need new rings or do they just act that way when "broken in"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 04:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: Worn rings?

you shouldnt be able to do that!
time for a rebuild

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

that's what I was thinking, I assume it's time to strip my other shortblock and see if those pistons make things better, I just tore down that block and I can't wiggle those pistons, they're both .030 over

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

I wouldn't call that the scientific approach. A piston will move some. It has clearances, right.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

so they can wiggle a little bit? I didn't drain the oil yet, if I don't have a gas smell in there is it safe to assume I probably don't have to much blow by?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ashlee and Andy

well, torn down the motor, it still has the swirels in the bores and very little lip on the top of the cylinder bores, I'm looking at sending it to the machine shop to get it checked out, the piston rings all seem to be okay, no noticable cracks or anything in them, I did have a little bit of tailpipe smoke when the car ran, and bouncy vacuum readings tho, didn't run a compression test tho.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 04:36 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

look at piston skirts for scuffing.
too much bore clearance will cause alot of scuffing.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 04:11 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Are the plugs still in the head? mark what way they are in the head pull and read the plugs...black on the bottom side is rings, black on thetop is valve guides.

Have you measured the bores for round ness and top and bottom, and the top ridge
This will tell you what wear and where .
You also need to measure the pistons as per manufactures specs...to determine ant collassping of skirts etc.
When an engine is machined, each bore is matched to the piston and final honed....depending on the type/brand of pistons and the fuel type and use of the engine there should be between 1/1000 and 2,5/1000 diameter clearance.
Hi permormance/race has a little more than a street engine.
Hi com/hi octane also has larger clearance.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode