350 oil leak - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

350 oil leak

Greetings
I just rebuilt my 69 350-used all original pieces to keep the originality but upgraded it inside
The problem I am having is that while breaking the engine in it started to leak oil between the oil pan and timing chain covers it drips some but not a lot-either way its leaking oil.
Ive invested way too much time putting this back in and everything, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Can I drop the pan down enough to put a bead of high temp silicone or should I replace the gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 12:33 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: 350 oil leak

Small block Chevrolets used two different thicknesses of seal between the pan and timing cover. It is possible to put the thinner one in when you really need the thicker one. Most gasket sets include both sizes.

Remove all the pan bolts except the last two 1/2" bolts in the rear. Leave those two in, but loosen them a turn or two. Then you can lower the front of the pan down enough to investigate your leak.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 09:32 AM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS
Re: 350 oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 CAMARO SS View Post
Greetings
I just rebuilt my 69 350-used all original pieces to keep the originality but upgraded it inside
The problem I am having is that while breaking the engine in it started to leak oil between the oil pan and timing chain covers it drips some but not a lot-either way its leaking oil.
Ive invested way too much time putting this back in and everything, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Can I drop the pan down enough to put a bead of high temp silicone or should I replace the gasket?
I had issues with oil leaks with my motor when i first put it in and the only way to fix it right is to pull it back out. I tried dropping the pan when the motor was in the car, and it didn't work.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode