Need Engine aAdvice 427 BBC - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 09, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Joe

Need Engine aAdvice 427 BBC

I am building a COPO clone, factory Garnet red car. I have bought a ;69 Dated 427 BBC, it is the 512 Block, has 840 heads, and motor is ALL there except for crankshaft. I got it at a reasonable price. But it will obviously still need machining, and may have to purchase new pistons depending on what it cleans up at. I will still have to buy an intake, GM winters are HARD TO FIND, carb, distributor, water pump, pullies, and manifolds. Which if I go Original are gonig to be HARD TO FIND! I know a guy who has dealt with GM ONLY parts for 30 years, he is VERY TRUE TO HIS work and does an EXCELLENT job, and has some SUPER RARE PARTS, 302 DZ Crossram intakes (2), 8 DZ blocks, 2 COMPLETE 427 '69 Camaro motors, and probably the HARDEST TO FIND PART for a '69 AN ORIGINAL Aluminum 427 Block, its orignal with the Witners snowflake and all. Well anyways he has a 427 COMPELTE, already assembled with correct, EVERYTHING built to GM specs, 11:1, has correct oil pan, balancer, timing cover, EVEN bolts are correct, 840 heads, 512 block. Motor is SUPER NICE and has been dynoed and comes with paperwork. He wants $8,500 for the motor OR said he would allow me $3k for the 427 shortblock I have and take $5k CASH between. Which would be the better route? I know what my head is saynig but not sure what my wallet is saying..... Also what difference in Value would the TRUE 427 69 motor make compared to the 390 horse 427 that I have? This guy has some SUPER NICE STUFF, 2 69 Z's and 3 69 Big Blocks, 2 396's and one 427. He sent me pics of a COPO clone he built 3 years ago, ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, it sold for $64K and yes it was a CLONE, frame off rotisserie, and EVERYTHING was GM correct for the car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 12:45 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Re: Need Engine aAdvice 427 BBC

This might go better in the What's it Worth forum.

I think my head and my wallet would be saying about the same thing: You are going to blow more than 5000 tracking down all the correct parts and getting this thing put together. Sounds like a fair trade to me. I am no expert but I have thought about doing this exact thing with my Dover white x44, not for the dollar value but simply because these cars are just so freakin' awesome.

Autosmiths, LLC
'69 X44, stock 350 (for now), TH350, 3.70:1 gear 8.5" 10 bolt, Auburn Posi.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 07:36 AM
Senior Tech
Chris

If he has the reputation and you have the cash.....go for the trade.

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 09, 12:35 PM

Look, I am going to come right out and say it!

"Clone" = MONEY on resale by me!!

I lost my oem 350ss engine years ago and was thinking hard about a numbers matching restamp, but couldn't do it b/c it still wouldn't ta been my oem engine so I went 496!

Only problem I really have is that my Dec. '66 350SS/RS car is too early to "CLONE" into a Z-28!!!

And I say SS/RS b/c I checked the 350SS engine line before the RS package line so it is a REAL SS/RS!!

As for an intake manifold, look hard at the older Holley/Weiand intake's b/c if you remove the names and go, they look darn near stock and the price's are right.

But if you are only after "flip" money, then clone 110 percent back to stock.

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode