Big Block owners please look - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 09, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Big Block owners please look

I need to know the measurement from the center of the air cleaner stud to the front edge of the radiator core support for both a 67-68 car and a 69 car. Mine is 26 3/4 and I have 3 1/4 inchs from the front of the water pump pulley to the radiator and I have a 3" thick radiator.
THANKS for any and all help. Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
396 RS SS RED 1968 Just like when I was 18 only 10 times the price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 09, 09:09 PM
Senior Tech
Louie

Re: Big Block owners please look

Mark,
I am in the process of starting the engine up in the sub frame and just installed my rad/core support. I get 25 1/2 inches from the center of the carb to the edge of the core support (edge closest to the engine). Keep in mind that the core support is only bolted down to the sub frame and has hoses connected to it. That means the rad can move 1/2 inch back and forth because it's not got the rest of the body holding it firmly in place. From the front of the water pump pulley to the rad core support is exactly 8.0 inches.
I installed my 4 core rad and the fan ended up so close to it that there may have been 1/8 of an inch clearance. This seemed way too close so in the picture below you will see the rad with the mounting bracket that attaches to the rad cut by about 1/2 inch. This allowed me to mount the rad closer to the core support and gave me 3/4 inch between the fan and the rad itself. Clearance now is great and the fan fits in the shroud nicely. I have heard you need to have half the fan in the shroud to properly pull air through without allowing air to wash around the sides, thus not cooling to it's maximum ability.

69 SS/RS Fathom Green 454 4 speed

Bumper sticker- My other auto is a .45
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK, this is starting to make sense, but I still do not know where the difference between the 68 and 69 really is. Your measurement of 25 1/2 to the front side of the core support is probably the same as mine of 26 1/2 to the back side. I assume the core support is about 1 1/4 thick so that is the same. The measurement of 8" from the face of the water pump to the core support is where I seem to be off. From my water pump pulley to the rad core is 3 1/4 and I have a 3 thick rad and I guess it to be about 1/2 away from the core support, so if you add all of that up I have 6 3/4 where you have 8. The difference from the short pump to the long pump is 1 1/2 so i appears that there is 1 1/2 difference between the 68 car and the 69. Exactly the difference that is in the 2 pumps. BUT,,,,,, I can not figure out how I can have the same measurement from the carb stud to the core support and yet have less room for my fan??????????
Still searching for answers.....if this confuses you, join the club, I am lost. I sure do not want to have to convert everything to the short pump to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 07:43 AM
Senior Tech
Louie

I have an aftermarket water pump but it should be the same dimensions as a stock pump, I am using a stock pulley system and everything lines up as it should.
I read up on clearances between fan and radiator before installing mine and everyone says pretty much the same thing, the clearance between the fan clutch and radiator is very tight. 1/4 inch is not uncommon and maybe what it's supposed to be.
PS Just to make sure were on the same page as far as measuring, I used a tape measure and found the distance between the front of the water pump pulley to the core support (side facing the fan) and it was 8.0 inches. I did not measure between the pump pulley and radiator core (face).
PSS my car is a 1969 Camaro originally with a small block, now 454.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey RDA454 can you tell me a little more about how you "to the rad cut by about 1/2 inch"
I can do the same and gain a little but have yet to figure out how. THANKS, Mark

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Keep in mind that there are differences (thickness/lengthwise) between fan clutches as well. I bought the "correct" restoration fan clutch from Rick's, but it was too long to fit between the water pump and the radiator. I went to the local O'Reilly's and, lo and behold, there's was a 1/2 inch shorter but looked exactly the same as the one that I had from Rick's. I believe that the one I bought at O'Reilly's was about 3 inches long/thick.

My advice is to take yours down to the local parts store and compare it.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 11:09 AM

Remember too that the 67-68 Big Blks used the short water pump and the 69's used the long water pump. Hense the difference in distance from water pump to radiator. I run a 454 with '69 accessory drives and '69 long pump in my 68 Camaro.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs69 View Post
Remember too that the 67-68 Big Blks used the short water pump and the 69's used the long water pump. Hense the difference in distance from water pump to radiator. I run a 454 with '69 accessory drives and '69 long pump in my 68 Camaro.
I am trying to do the same but need about 1" more room for the fan clutch???????

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech
Louie

Mark,
Here's a few pic's that show what I did.

This is a picture of the rad bracket before being cut. Right below it is how close the fan came to the core. I'm sure it would have hit. No room for any play at all. One of the guys mentioned a different fan clutch and maybe I do have the larger one but it's all I got. It seemed to match my buddies fan clutch so I went with it and decided to trim the tab on the rad in the last pic. Now I have about 3/4 to 1 inch of clearance. Still tight but the fan sits in the shroud where it's supposed to.

The close up below shows the cut and about 5 small welds that hold it in place. Be careful if you do this because the tabs are soldered onto the tank and too much heat can cause it to melt and warp. This moved the rad closer to the support and it lays against it flush with no rubbing on the cooling fins. I havent taken any pic's of it completed but if you want to see them let me know and I'll post em.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

OK, that is perfect. I have looked and can get a little extra space there. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your efforts. I will keep you posted on my progress. THANKS............Mark

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 08:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

26 3/4 air cleaner stud to the front edge of the radiator core support.
5 1/2 water pump pulley to the radiator.
2 1/4 radiator thickness.

68, 454, Edelbrock short water pump, BeeCool radiator.

Matt

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlek131 View Post
26 3/4 air cleaner stud to the front edge of the radiator core support.
5 1/2 water pump pulley to the radiator.
2 1/4 radiator thickness.

68, 454, Edelbrock short water pump, BeeCool radiator.
THANKS for the info............man that is a nice car you have. THANKS, Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode