Milky oil - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 09, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

Milky oil

Hi all.........I just fired up the big block for the first time,its been mounted and toped up with oil and water for a couple of days,but ive noticed the oil has gone very very milky...obviously water.The thing is it wasnt blowing water out of the radiator so i'm pickn the head gaskets are ok
what did happen is when i fitted the alloy manifold there was 4 "tag" type parts on the manifold that i had to grind down a little for it to seat properly onto the gaskets....im wondering if the manifold isn't seated and water is leaking past the gaskets??? is this possible
Gav

Once your've had RAT.....
you'll never go back
67rs/454
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 12:07 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: Milky oil

Quite often, water will seep past the head bolts/studs and may take a couple of heat cycles to seal up. This will happen with both GM's sealing compound and Loctite's Teflon paste. Scary at first, it may be nothing to worry about.

You can always run the engine up to temp, then shut it down and listen. Even removing a valve cover may show you water/steam from the head bolts/studs.
Let it cool and then do your retorque proceedure while you're at it.

Get under the car and crack the pan bolt. If you get more than an ounce or two of water, I'd say you have a problem. Water is heaviest and if there is any volume of it, it will flow out first in quantity.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 03:33 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Bubbles in the radiator would point to a crack or head gaskets also.

Another check to see what cylinder it is ... look at your spark plugs.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

Ok....theres no bubbles in the radiator,the milky oil on the dipstick seemed to raise in level very quick when i topped up the radiartor today before firing it up again...thats why im wondering if its the intake gaskets....if i pressure tested the cooling system,this should tell me its leaking but how would i know where from??? the motor is "just s good runner" and not reconditioned....will this make a difference to the water in the studs theory??
Thanks gav

you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by R,S-man View Post
if i pressure tested the cooling system,this should tell me its leaking but how would i know where from???
Easy.
Continually lower the cooling system's water level while pressurizing the system until no more water is lost.
As I mentioned earlier, you will see water at the pan bolt very quickly.
When you stop seeing water there, that's when you know the leak is just above the water level.

I used a "jiggler" syphon hose to accuarately remove water at the radiator tank, and lowered the level below the intake, but still above the heads. Then used my Stant preesure tester to pressurize. That's when I found the water had stopped showing up at the pan bolt.
I then removed the intake and found the leak. What a relief.. I had a mate's wedding to do with the car the next day!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 12:00 PM
Senior Tech

You said "alloy" manifold, but did not mention the gasket type you installed.

Many replacement gaskets are too thick/resilient to be used with an aluminum intake (the allowable intake bolt torque is way too little to properly crush the gaskets). Most aluminum intakes come with a recommended gasket part number in the installation instructions; for example, the Edelbrocks I have installed recommend a Print-O-Seal gasket or equivalent.

I use good old GM fiber gaskets on my engines now, having learned the hard way when the Fel-Pro Blues were installed on my 327 in the 68, causing a massive vacuum leak I could not find. Same issue could cause your coolant leaks as well...

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 12:12 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

What about the issue if the block has been decked, that changes the geometry of the V where the intake fits. I am assuming when he said he fired it for the first time, it is a rebuild.

alan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Gav

Hi....not a re-build,just a fresh import from 'your place to mine" .....(im in New zealand)
i think ive found the water issue,i am using felpro blue gaskets as they are the best we can get "down under"....i pulled the motor again today...i dropped the sump and rear main/oil pump and the bearings are worn and rear seal is hard as plastic
the bearings are std size and the crank and thrust is perfect so i guess a set of bearings and a pump will do
Any recomendations on a pump??? hi volume or not hi volume?? that is the question
Thanks Gav

you'll never go back
67rs/454
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good gut feeling on removing engine and inspecting the crankcase.
Standard volume pump would be fine.

Tip: remove the relief valve and polish it with crocus cloth, then reassemble. This action will give you a steady timing mark.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 05:19 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Regarding the intake manifold gaskets, what heads do you have?

There are 2 or 3 choices, the FelPro blue "O-ring" type and the Felpro Blue Stripe. If you have Edelbrock's Performer RPM heads, use GM 12366985.

Guess which ones I'll never recomemend or use again?

Also, if your block and/or heads have been milled or decked, have your intake machine accordingly. This will help the gaskets seal a lot.

High Volume pump, because more oil is always better than less. Actually, it's more for the slight oil pressure increase in the 0-60psi range (below the pump's pressure relief setting).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode