Blueprint Engines dot com? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 09, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Blueprint Engines dot com?

Anyone gotten an engine from these guys lately? I was looking at A.R. racing on ebay but cant find any real feedback on them so not sure. Im only trusting Blueprint more just because Summit and Jegs sell them.
Heres the 2 motors Im looking at. Ready to pull the trigger so any input would be great.

http://www.blueprintengines.com/popu...specs&pc_id=98

The ebay one sells for around 3200.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/383-4...Q5fAccessories

Most recent 01/01/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 06:59 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Re: Blueprint Engines dot com?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideynut View Post
Anyone gotten an engine from these guys lately? I was looking at A.R. racing on ebay but cant find any real feedback on them so not sure. Im only trusting Blueprint more just because Summit and Jegs sell them.
Heres the 2 motors Im looking at. Ready to pull the trigger so any input would be great.

When you see engines advertised with no harmonic balancer, you should know right then its a scam. AR customers call me every month with thier horror stories, again, do you really think you can buy a aluminum headed 383 done right for 3200.00 dollars? Im going to tell you, you cant. Summit, Jegs, Year One, good luck with that stuff too! I have pictures coming from the shop that builds those Year One engines, you might think twice about buying a Year One engine after seeing these pictures, Jegs, built by Marshall engines out of Nebraska, a production rebuilder with a horrible reputation.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 08:01 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
I would check out Some of the guys here or Team Chevelle (VortecPro being one) that build engines, see who's close,in your price range,and shipping if needed.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 08:10 AM
Senior Tech

Their website says the warranty will be void if you run vacuum advance. http://www.blueprintengines.com/tech...ils&tech_id=22 Seems a little odd to me but then I don't think like a lawyer.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 08:38 AM

I all most fell out of my chair when i read this ( trusting Blueprint more just because Summit and Jegs sell them. )
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 10:44 AM
Senior Tech
The Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Their website says the warranty will be void if you run vacuum advance. http://www.blueprintengines.com/tech...ils&tech_id=22 Seems a little odd to me but then I don't think like a lawyer.

These people are complete morons if they say do not use a vacuum advance.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Now thats what I call believing in your product. Why not just say "if you start the engine, the warranty is void"?

alan
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 02:00 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Sorry lads, I don't agree with a lot of these posts. I bought a Blueprint 383 base engine 12 mos ago and I'm very pleased so far. I've found their customer service and support to be great, they are responsive in answering questions, and coming up with solutions for those little jams that make each install and car different. That's not really their job but they take ownership. I also don't sit on the phone proving I bought something, the advice comes readily.

I have not turned it over yet, I've been taking my time getting things the way I want them. They ship the engine after making three pulls on a dyno. The condition it arrives in is superb, I don't see scratches and sloppiness related to all the work that went into prebuilding it for these tests. It's a very nice looking piece, there is thought to how they put things together and what they leave open/available for your accessories. I'm also not worried about how it will run, I trust that if they had problems they wouldn't ship it since it was tested, and Summit/Jegs wouldn't carry them with lots of failures.

As for the warranties, put yourself in their shoes. You want to save some coin not buying a fully assembled idiot proof engine. Great. Just don't make them responsible for your mistakes! You can easily imagine how a company could go bankrupt just investigating every failure that comes back regardless of whether it was their fault or not. So they need some tough language. And guess what, that isn't even going to protect them, you'll still send it back and they'll pay someone $50/hr to rip it down to figure out that they didn't do something wrong.

The tags that came on my engine had to do with warnings about setting initial timing with vac advance on. They don't want people having initial timing set wrong, and the whole thing goes junk and again for $50/hr they eat the costs of your mistake. That's it. Says nothing about DRIVING with vac advance assuming you set up your ride for it.

Hope this helps your thought process. I think there is a lot of undue snobbery (sorry... too strong of a word that I'm looking for but it will do) in the world of hot rodding that if you don't pay $15k for a motor it's crap. Sure a $15k motor is a nice motor but everyone has to decide what they can afford. As with anything you get what you pay for I guess. I didn't pay a lot, and expect to be enjoying myself out there soon.

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

Wow! thanks for the feedback gang. I think? So has anyone beside PA camaro guy actully bought one of these motors? I come to this site cause its very trust worthy. Doug G ect.. Ive used your advise for many years and its always steered me in the right direction. But theres something in Hawaii we call coconut wireless not sure if thats the case here or what. I mean Blueprint has a booth at SEMA every year doesnt that mean something? Or is it just wolf in sheeps clothing? Brad

Most recent 01/01/10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 06:56 PM
Senior Tech
The Driver

Warning: Do not use vacuum advance when installing Blueprint Crate Engines. Using vacuum advance will void the warranty.

If they want to get their point across, they are going to have to be more specific than this. The way this is worded, it can be interpreted different ways. If you want to take it literally, then it means do not use vacuum advance when you are installing the engine into the vehicle, which makes absolutely no sense!! I can't remember the last time I needed a vacuum can to help me bolt in an engine
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Brian, why would they void the warranty for installing a vac advance unit? Unless the engine is specifically headed to the drag strip and only the drag strip as a race engine, ok, fair enough. But if the engine is meant for street driving, a vacuum advance makes the car far more drivable on the street. That's why they were invented.

alan
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 09:01 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Notes I received with the motor only warn against trying to set timing with it functional. If you believe they are outright banning it I agree that is wierd. Call their tech line and ask, they'll give you the strait dope. Engine doesn't know what's advancing the dizzy. Seems silly to me.

1969 Camaro 383
2.02/1.63 & 234/244 Vortec
TH350 / 12 bolt 3.73
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 09, 10:00 PM
Senior Tech
Alan

Well, when setting the timing on an engine, the vac advance is supposed to be disconnected and the vac line plugged-high school auto shop.

alan
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:

I would try Wolfplace over on the chevelle forum or Rogers performance here on this site. Unfortunately you just cant do an engine correct for 3200.00 dollars, at least an aluminum headed 383, theres no free lunch any more. Let me give you and example, there was a day you could buy a decent hyperutectic piston at a reasonable price, there all junk now, and I would never use one period, chinnesse heads, I wouldnt do it, but I would do Edelbrock, you pay 900.00 for these then you have to redo everything in them. I looked at the pictures of your car, I think its worth getting with a quality engine builder.
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 07:34 AM
Senior Tech

I think it must be the wording. Their website has a bunch of photos of customer's cars and they all have vacuum advance cans with hoses on them. But then there's this ....http://blueprint.infuzecreative.com/...uide_52108.pdf Page 5 says "A vacuum advance should not be needed or used on Blueprint Engines." If the motor comes with a vacuum advance MSD distributor why don't they just crank in the minimum vacuum advance? You might want to call them and see what they say about it. They might make good motors but their choice of words in their brochure is confusing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode