Permatex The Right Stuff - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Permatex The Right Stuff

Hey guys, I have been using Permatex The Right Stuff for everything that requires a gasket and this is by far the best stuff I every used. Now I have been having a problem keeping my rocker studs sealed (alluminum heads) Ive used ARP sealer, and teflon tape it lasts for about a year then I starts getting puffs of smoke out of the tail pipes and then its time to re-seal the threads again. So my question is Im thinking of trying the right stuff on the threads since it works so well on everything else. What do you think? thanks

1969 camaro convertible, sm blk 350 trick flow heads, m21 muncie, 3.73 rear. hugger orange with blacks stripes. 12.90 @ 107mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Alan

Re: Permatex The Right Stuff

What about asking professional engine builders what they use? I think Dart makes aluminum heads, I bet they have a reccommendation for you.

alan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I did they said to use regular teflon tape which worked for around a year now it is leaking again.

1969 camaro convertible, sm blk 350 trick flow heads, m21 muncie, 3.73 rear. hugger orange with blacks stripes. 12.90 @ 107mph

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 09:40 AM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Check out some of the loc-tites available. The one that require a primer applied to a clean surface and and cure times are the best. These are know as anorobic sealants and they work very well. The bad thing is they are not cheap!! Your might be looking at about $20.00 for some.

If you PM me I might have an extra large purple loc-tite that I brought home from work. They give us sealants and other items that can longer be recertifide to a new shelf life. I thinka large bottle like I had (like I said might have another) sells for about $40.00. I am not sure if I can ship it though? I will give it to you if I have extra.

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 09:45 AM

I use # 2 permatex on studs or liquid Teflon from 3m.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 11:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave C

Send a message via AIM to Pro-Street69Camaro468 Send a message via Yahoo to Pro-Street69Camaro468

The Rite Stuff has little beads in it is what makes it good for surfaces I don't think it will be good for this application...jmo...

PRO.ST69orange

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks for all the replys im not sure if I should use it or not but at this point I will probably give it a try. I wonder why they drill the holes all the whey through for the rocker studs anyway. seems to me they could stop before it enters the back of the valve area.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 01:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

I vote for the liquid type teflon sealer.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers69 View Post

I wonder why they drill the holes all the whey through for the rocker studs anyway. seems to me they could stop before it enters the back of the valve area.

Red hi temp silicone has always worked for me. Right stuff orta do it, but it's kinda pricey for that app when silicone works so well.

A blind hole would be at least 2 or 3 things
1. take longer, raise cost. Maybe. Maybe not.
2. require studs be exact length or the result would be
3. the thin blind end would get busted out and fall in your chamber when a too long stud got powered in there baby.
4. Maybe again, I think the blind end would be so thin there would also be a potential to hydraulically break the blind end even with just oil on the threads when you screw in the stud.

I always stick my finger into the port and make sure there is no silicone blob hanging at the tip of the stud.

Tim Smith
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech
jason

my drag car with afr 220s used to do that. pulled all the studs used harveys pipe sealant with teflon on theards, all better. you can buy it at a hardware store. its cheap and it works!!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 09:17 PM
Senior Tech

i once had this idea about using small block chevy o ring valve seals to seal rocker studs.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Tony

I had this problem 2 years ago after using ARP thread sealant.
Switched to good ole Indian Head shalac and have not had a problem since. And this is a daily driver.

Tony:
67 RS Clone, 388 SBC/Keisler TKO 600/12 bolt, 3.90 gear w/posi and a 250 shot of N2O for fun. See my progress at: password is camaro

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 05:41 PM

Thumbs up Re: Permatex The Right Stuff

He, He!!

Good old "Indianhead" IS the RIGHT STUFF by me!

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode