Ok, so how would YOU handle this? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Unhappy Ok, so how would YOU handle this?

Round one

A local engine builder put my 406 together in winter '08. I paid not only for assembly but dyno tune. Before I was able to break her in there was a small stud that got past the valve and caused damage to the piston and cylinder wall. (I am very careful and don't drop things into my engine but obviosuly its his word against mine.)

Round two

He sleeved the block and rebuilt the engine (hone, all new bearings, new rings for the one new piston in the sleeved cylinder).

This engine burns so much oil it's ridiculous. It's a smokey mess. Now she's moving oil out anywhere she can - breathers, dipstick tube, etc. I haven't done a leakdown test but I'm sure it would prove there's a huge amount of blowby.

I'm gonna call or show up there tomorrow and see how the convo goes. I doubt he'll offer anything but to take it back in and try round 3 (no effing way). Anyway, if he gives me the typical [fill in the blank bullcrap] how should I handle it?

68 Z/28, grotto blue, protect-o-plate
67 plain jane survivor, deep water blue, protect-o-plate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 04:40 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Ok, so how would YOU handle this?

Since you have already paid for this mill it's in your own interest to let the shop make it right. Your other option is you bought what you got! Since what you paid for was labor and parts there is no way they will give you a refund. I'm not siding with the shop, just looking at it from a least amount of loss for both sides.

I should have asked this first but what do you have in writing? Is there a warranty on the build? It sounds like the builder is a reasonable guy, he's as sure he didn't leave a bolt in the cyl as you are you didn't drop one down the intake, he could have wrote you off the first time and didn't...

Go talk it out and go from there!

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 04:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

new motors do smoke a bit until rings etc are seated.
DONT USE SYNTHETIC OIL
or else the rings wont seat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 05:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I see that you have just two options, let him fix it or not. If you are convinced he's incompetent and there's no way he's touching it again then I think the conversation is a waste of time and energy on both parties. Just my .02

Jeff
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I wouldn't use a motor built by him now. I paid two times for motors that never ran long enough for me to enjoy at all.

Oh for two is enough for me.

If he doesn't offer to refund half the money I'm just gonna tell him that I'll post the story on all the local internet boards and then take him to small claims for both jobs.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 05:58 PM

First off don,t go there pissed off remain calm at all times. If you feel that he will not make it wright take it to another shop and have it taken apart. Have them verifier all measurements. Pay the second shop for their time and pick it up. If you feel you have a claim take it to small claims court have all your info ready. Under no circumstance do not bad mouth the shop or tell the other shop who built it and do not post it all over then net.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 06:08 PM
Senior Tech
John

I agree 100%
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 06:15 PM
Bill

Dave,
Anyone can make a mistake. I find it hard to believe that the engine ran on the dyno with a small stud in it that could fall into the cylinder, but you just never know.

As far as the oil problem goes, I think the first thing you need to do is ask him to tear it down and see what is causing it. Could be something very simple like an intake gasket. I would go there calmly and see what he says.

I am not ashamed to tell you that in 22 years of business, I have had an engine or two that needed a couple of tries to get it right. I have always fixed them with a smile. Give the guy a chance and see what he says.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 07:19 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooperDave View Post
I paid two times for motors that never ran long enough for me to enjoy at all.
In your 1st post you were not clear about it. Do I now understand correctly, you paid for an engine, it was damaged and you paid more to have it fixed and it now smokes? If so I hope you at least split the cost of round 2.

With a bolt, stud or what ever it was in the cyl, how did the valves get adjusted and the dist installed? And like Bill mentioned, how did it get through dyno time?

You never did answer the questions I asked in my first reply... What were the conditions or agreement before the build started?

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 09, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
Since you have already paid for this mill it's in your own interest to let the shop make it right. Your other option is you bought what you got! Since what you paid for was labor and parts there is no way they will give you a refund. I'm not siding with the shop, just looking at it from a least amount of loss for both sides.

I should have asked this first but what do you have in writing? Is there a warranty on the build? It sounds like the builder is a reasonable guy, he's as sure he didn't leave a bolt in the cyl as you are you didn't drop one down the intake, he could have wrote you off the first time and didn't...

Go talk it out and go from there!
he didn't split any costs with me the 2nd time around

all the details are in writing but no warranty

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 05:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers Performance View Post
First off don,t go there pissed off remain calm at all times. If you feel that he will not make it wright take it to another shop and have it taken apart. Have them verifier all measurements. Pay the second shop for their time and pick it up. If you feel you have a claim take it to small claims court have all your info ready. Under no circumstance do not bad mouth the shop or tell the other shop who built it and do not post it all over then net.
Absolutely correct. The only thing I would add is let him know (after trying to work it out calmly) that he has left you no choice but to pay another reputable shop to tear it down and document everything for small claims court. I on the other hand I "would" warn others about this shop if it does not go your way, except you cannot "prove" it was him even if winning in small claims court so you have to use terminology that lets folks make a decision on facts alone. Words like allegedly, possibly, most likely, highly probable etc. are ones that can keep it from being messy.

67 SSRS 350 Convertible, pwr top, a/c, and under construction

Last edited by 67SS/RSCONV; Aug 10th, 09 at 05:10 AM.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

He suggests I run a breather on one valve cover and an oil seperator on the other for the pcv. He says he's never built a motor that's come back with excessive oil getting past the rings. I'm also going to pull all the plugs tonight and do a compression test on all cylinders.

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 09:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SooperDave View Post
He suggests I run a breather on one valve cover and an oil seperator on the other for the pcv. He says he's never built a motor that's come back with excessive oil getting past the rings. I'm also going to pull all the plugs tonight and do a compression test on all cylinders.
Dave do your compression test and a leak down test befor anything else. So your not running a PCV system.

You may be having the same problem im having with my PCV...

If you are running one then check to see if its sucking oil, you could also pull the carb if you dont want to run it and look down the intake runners for signs of oil. My motor is fresh BBC 498 and what i did as a test was run a clear fuel filter between the PCV hose and drove the heck out of it to find oil setting in the bottom of the filter, that would have been going in the carb and intake.

Yes it was a smoker and im still working on it as we speak but i think i got it now.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 10:03 AM
Team Member
JohnnyRotten

i spent a ton of cash on the 377 that i have in my '64 ChevyII... had quite a few issues with it before it was finally installed in the car.

long story, i won't get into it...

i'd say if you've lost faith in the builder to bite the bullet and find someone new to correct/fix it...
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

with the pcv hooked up it, a ton of oil goes thru the intake. plugs are oily/sooty and she smokes pretty bad, especially on start up. literally has burned thru QUARTS of oil and not even a couple hundred miles.

replacing the pcv with a 2nd breather (using a grommet with a slit in the bottom that acts as a baffle because no built in baffle on these valve covers) was a disaster. oil pushing out of the dipstick tube and onto the header. also the k&n oil and motor oil spit out of the 2nd breather. a total mess.

I'm almost at my wits end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode