ROCHESTER 2G HELP part one: - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

ROCHESTER 2G HELP part one:

i need all the info humanly possible concerning the rochester 2G carb.

Please provide any/all links possible concerning this carb. i know this is not an easy task as no-one gives a crap about this carb anymore except in tri-power configurations but even then, multi-carb setups are just not that popular anyways.

1) i'm having problems keeping the engine running below 1000rpms which sounds like the timing is too retarded. (The engine, does however, sound pretty decent for the brief time i can get it to run at 1200rpm or above.)

Current plan for that would be to keep advancing timing little-by-little before each attempt to start. i have a battery charger, so testing like this is not nessesarily a problem.
My only concern about this first stategy is that i don't want to damage the starter; Is 15 seconds of cranking per minute ok? In other words, i'm letting the starter cool off for at least 45 seconds before cranking a maximium 15 seconds per try.

2) How do you actually start a car equipped with a 2G?

a) when cold?

b) when the engine has run for a few secs but shuts down? So, the engine is still "cold" but not as cold as if not run for a few hours. Also, i'm ASSuming in this condition fuel has run thru the carb.

c) When warm?

NOTES:
This is just a bone-stock (as from the factory) 305 with stock cam and probably 8:1 compression so it should not generally be too hard to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 11:31 AM
Kevin

Re: ROCHESTER 2G HELP part one:

Puff puff (please update your profile with your name please ) If this is a 69, you probably have a 307. Cold starting any carb is dependent on the choke closing and the fast idle cam set correctly. When you hit the gas with engine off, does the choke close? If not, there should be a choke coil on the manifold and a rod connecting to the choke flap. Does all this work? starting for 15 secs is not an issue per say. It does not hurt the engine to run too advanced without a load, so move the dist clockwise about a 1/2 to 1 inch and try again. If choke is not working or you dont know, you can always start it without it, but it takes many pumps of the accel (make sure gas is squirting in carb while you do) and you will have to hold throttle part way down while starting. After you get it running and warm, use a timing light, dwell and tach to do a tuneup using factory settings. Luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

1) Alright, i have to confess, the engine is not in a camaro; But hey, an engine, specifically a small block, is an engine right?

2) Yes, the choke closes when you pump the pedal.

3) Supposedly, alot of camaros ,1st gen anyways, came with the 2GV. So, would anyone out there still happen to have their original owner's manual? i would be curious as to what the manual says as far as correct starting procedures. Alternatively, i suppose, we could also look at the sunvisor?

i have a hunch it's a simple fuel/ fuel mix problem:

4) Could cranking an engine alot without it starting cause it to flood?

a) How do you know when the engine is flooded?

b) Just curious why the hold down the pedal all the way helps clear a flooded engine? Is this due to the massive amount of air rushing into the intake vs. the amount of fuel going in?

5) This particular engine has not been run in a while--3 yrs to be exact so:

a) How do you know when/if the bowl is full or full enough for the engine to run?
Would looking into the carb while pumping the accelerator lever and if you see fuel squirt into the intake, this would indicate a full/full enough bowl?

b) i can probably figure this one out, but i might as well ask: Where is the/a vent tube to the bowl on a 2G? i would rather add some fuel into the vent than crank the engine alot just to fill the bowl. Again, this engine hasn't run in a while.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

The vent tube on a 2G carb is the bologna sliced tube in the venturi at the top.
Use a small funnel and pour fuel in, carefully.

When you open the throttle and fuel squirts out, the bowl level is high enough to fill the pump upon retraction, or releasing the throttle, generally menaing fuel level is good.

When you smell raw fuel, the engine is flooded. Remove a spark plug to see if it is saturated with fuel. If so, remove the rest and blow dry.

Holding the throttle wide open during cranking is a quick remedy in 'cleaning out' the combustion chambers of raw fuel.

There is no starting instructions on the sun visor. Depress the throttle to set the choke closed, if cold enough. At the same time the choke plate closes, a fast idle cam on the pass side is placed into position to allow the engine to fast idle until engine/choke warms up sufficiently then drops out when throttle is feathered after starting/running for a length of time, maybe 30-90 seconds, depending upon ambient temperature.

Look to ebay to find a reproduced Owner's Manual.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode