After sitting for 20+ years what would you replace? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kerry

After sitting for 20+ years what would you replace?

Just as the title says. The car was stored in a concrete floored garage without climate control. We already know the engine turns over and most, if not all of the electrical system works. So what would you remove, replace, and or leave alone?

I don't know if this matters but the car didn't have a fuel cap when it was sitting. The tank will be removed and checked.

This is for the 1969 Z28-The car ran when parked, it has console gauges, the original distributor, a new Holley 750 (original is in a box, needs a rebuild).

Royal Plum 67 4k car
Royal Plum parchment 67 396 4 spd. impala
Fathom Green 69 RS Z28/ Crossram
Red / ivory 68 convt. base car 2nd owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 08:38 PM
Senior Tech
Pete

Re: After sitting for 20+ years what would you replace?

Im sure there will be much more productive replies, but here's what i can think of to start:

All fluids, including engine oil, rear end,tranny, radiator(likely need a rebuild, but you could flush).
ignition points, coil, wires, plugs

I would pull the thermostat and replace. Expect to replace the water pump soon..

I would replace all rubber fuel and water lines. Check the brake lines and bleed them.

But in all seriousness, if it is actually a z28, i would do a frame off restore and sell it for a lot of $$
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZ View Post
Just as the title says. The car was stored in a concrete floored garage without climate control. We already know the engine turns over and most, if not all of the electrical system works. So what would you remove, replace, and or leave alone?

I don't know if this matters but the car didn't have a fuel cap when it was sitting. The tank will be removed and checked.

This is for the 1969 Z28-The car ran when parked, it has console gauges, the original distributor, a new Holley 750 (original is in a box, needs a rebuild).

Proud owner of a 2012 2SS/RS IOM Camaro 6M, LS3, Herritage grill, Hurst short throw shifter, Airraid CAI, and a few more goodies on the way!

My 67 camaro project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kerry

Thanks, the radiator was actually the reason it was parked, the water pump shaft came out and put the fan into the radiator.

And I can't see letting this one go anytime soon.

Royal Plum 67 4k car

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 09:20 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Send a message via AIM to 67SS&99SS

I would remove all the spark plugs and squirt marvel mystery oil into all the cylinders put the plugs back in and then let it sit for a week. Then I would pull them back out and try to turn the engine over by hand using a breaker bar. I would rotate it several times then put in a fresh set of plugs.

Adding to what the previous poster mentioned, I would rebuild the master cylinder, calipers and wheel cylinders if they are original to the car, or replace them if they aren't. I would also replace the brake hoses, and the brake hardware that is in the drums on the back.

1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc, 522hp/514 ft lbs, Doug's 1 3/4" headers, M20, posi, 3.73's, vintage air gen IV, IROC steering box, Comp Eng. weld-in sfc's & traction bars, chrome US Mags

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 09, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

More then likely the Engine and Tranny Seals have hardened. It may not be apparent at first but I bet within a month of use the Front and Rear Seals of both Engine and Tranny give out - same goes with Axel Seals.

If it were my car I would go for the usual preparation but prepared to tear the engine down for: New Gaskets, Seals, Timing Chain, Hone, Rings, Bearings, Touch up the valves and NEW Valve Springs (very important). It will also allow you to determine the condition of the cam and guides - That is "Condition of the engine".

Don't you love being a Muscle Car Addict - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 12:10 AM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Doug interesting post. I purchased a 68Z that had sat for only a dozen years in a garage, on a concrete floor. Here is what I had to replace just to drive it home:

Rebuilt the carb due to the gaskets leaked.
Replaced the battery.
Replaced the thermostat and water pump as the pump was leaking.

As soon as I got it home I had to rebuild the brake calipers, the 4 piston calipers are known for pitting and leaking. Mine were leaking very badly and I had to really take it easy on the drive home. Brake hoses also got changed out at this time. Other than that nothing else really became an issue after driving it for a while.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 05:09 AM
Bill

Doug,
I think you might be surprised at how little you might have to do. I know someone that just bought a 72 Vette that had been sitting since 1978 or so. They filled it with d\gas, put a battery in it and drove it home

That being said, the biggest issue we have seen lately here at the shop has been valves sticking due to the ethanol in the fuel turning it into glue If the car has been sitting for 20 years, that should not be an issue but it mght not hurt to pull the valve covers and give each valve a good shot of penetrating oil like PB Blaster through the valve spring, then turn the engine over and watch all the valves to make sure none are sticking. I would also flush the entire fuel system if you can.

Then start it up and see what happens Nice find !!

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 02:18 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

My Chevelle sat outdoors for 13 years. I changed the oil, drained out the old fuel, put in a new battery, AND DROVE IT HOME!! It started right up. It was a solid lifter 327 engine.
However, I should have towed it home due to the fact that only one brake was actually working...YIKES!
It did develope a rear main seal leak....don't don't they all?? LOL.

68 Camaro, 555 big block, Doug Nash 5-speed, 3.54 gear.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 02:47 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Plus one more item - tires. After sitting on concrete for that long the tires are almost assuredly damaged on the inside. Cords, threads, and belts will separate and leave you with a blow out waiting to happen. Driving very far on them or above say 25mph puts you, the car, and anyone else on the road at risk.

Russ (RJ)
The Garlic Capital, Gilroy,CA

(sold June 15,2014) 1968 RS convertible that is not quite stock

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 05:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dave M

Doug,

Drain the fuel tank and flush it, rebuild the carb, put a battery in it and fire it up. That's what I just did with a 64 Impala I just came across that had been sitting for almost as long. I fired it up, put it on my trailer and took her home....no worries.

http://picasaweb.google.com/barefootdave/1964Impala#

Dave Miller

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 05:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

Above posts are right on with my experiences. The last long sitting car I bought had been sitting so long the oil drain plug seal had powdered away along with the tranny drain plug seal. After cleaning up the oil and tranny fluid that went down my driveway and replacing those seals it surprisingly fired right up.

67 RS
Royal Plum/Parchment
6.0 LSX 4L80e

06 corvette Z06
machine silver
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 06:12 PM

The whole BRAKE system!

pdq67

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech
Timothy

The whole car needs to be replaced, just send it to me.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 09, 07:40 PM
Senior Tech
Levi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microgiant View Post
The whole car needs to be replaced, just send it to me.
send half to me . If you want the other half giant ill give you my pay pal

1975 Camaro "Black Out"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 09, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kerry

Well after cleaning the coil contacts, the car started! We also discovered a mouse nest....which is now scattered all over the shop.

Royal Plum 67 4k car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode