Problem with engine mounts? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Problem with engine mounts?

I was contemplating purchasing a cowl induction kit to go along with the cowl hood that I already have on my '67. The engine always looked a bit off center. But when I started to see how the air cleaner lines up with hood, something is just not right. From passenger side fender to carb stud I have 24-1/2", from DS fender to stud, I have 26". Also when you place a straight edge on the air cleaner, there is about 1" below on passenger side fender, and about 1" above on the driver side. The mounts were both replaced with 2285 mounts. The engine frame brackets look right to the pictures shown in C.I. catalog (3955183 & 3955184), with the taller mount on the right. Is this nomal for this car? What could be the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 09, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Problem with engine mounts?

Unless someone in the past history of the car messed things up and just a guess, you may have BB Mounts in there. If so the car may originally have been a BB ride. I would also check if the Transmission mount isn't "off centered".

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 09, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15CAM View Post
Unless someone in the past history of the car messed things up and just a guess, you may have BB Mounts in there. If so the car may originally have been a BB ride. I would also check if the Transmission mount isn't "off centered".
yeah, it may have originally had one of those pesky 427s in it. What are they called? COPOs or something like that?

|
|

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 09, 09:56 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Problem with engine mounts?

You are describing exactly how a Big Block engine should sit in the car. However, the part numbers that you are giving are for frame brackets for a 67-68 small block car ! The part number 2285 is for '67/'68 302/350 engine mounts.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

According to the pictures, I have small block mounts. The big block holes are drilled in a different location to move the mounts forward. Does anyone have any measurements for these mounts? I am wondering if 1 or both are from a different year/model car? There isn't by chance any spacers bolted under the mounts, that may be missing?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

I am not sure what you mean by holes in a different location. On a first gen. camaro, they use the same mounting holes. The driver's side mount is taller than the passenger side, to obtain the engine offset. It is Exactly as you described in your first post. No, there are no spacers.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
yeah, it may have originally had one of those pesky 427s in it. What are they called? COPOs or something like that?
Your sick as I am - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

TJS69,

In the pictures you posted, take notice of where the mounting hole is located in reference to the center of where the rubber mount attaches.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 12:58 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

What rubber mount ?

These are Frame Mounts... they bolt to your crossmember... metal to metal.

If You are talking where the engine mount center line is compared to the 3 mounting holes. The pictures are not taken directly perpindicular, so you can't go by the visual.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 03:56 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
You are describing exactly how a Big Block engine should sit in the car. However, the part numbers that you are giving are for frame brackets for a 67-68 small block car ! The part number 2285 is for '67/'68 302/350 engine mounts.
I'm thinking that 2285 mounts were the short ones that are used on Corvettes. Also I recall 2285 having a wider mouth that goes over the metal stands. 2267 is short and wide (not as wide as 2285 though) and 2289 is tall and skinny.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

TJS, can you give me the measurements from the center of the bolt to the crossmember on each side?

Thanks, Jim
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:47 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyno jonn View Post
I'm thinking that 2285 mounts were the short ones that are used on Corvettes. Also I recall 2285 having a wider mouth that goes over the metal stands. 2267 is short and wide (not as wide as 2285 though) and 2289 is tall and skinny.
John,

The 2285's are for the 67/68's 302/350 engine mount. (8" Harmonic balancer)
The 2267's are the short and wide engine mounts for 67-69 307 and 327.
The 2283's are the tall and narrow engine mounts for a '69 302/350/396.

I have no idea what a 2289 is.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim H View Post
TJS, can you give me the measurements from the center of the bolt to the crossmember on each side?

Thanks, Jim
I am not sure what this dimension is. I can't get to it on my car.

They are all the same for a 67-69 Camaro. The frame stands actually hang over the main crossmember some.

The location of the center of the engine mount only varies about 1/8" among all the frame stands.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Look at the side profile of the mount. Draw a line across from each side of the base. Measure from the center of the hole to a 90 degree angle to the line. Is your engine out as indicated by your picture?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

After re-examinling the mounts I have on, I remember that I first tried the the 2285 mounts. But found that it interfired with the mounting bracket for the short pump, power steering. As the bracket attaches to 2 of the motor mount bolts. I then had to go with the 2142 mount as it didn't have the secondary latch. However as both mounts are the same, the levelness of the engine should not change. So the problem remains the same.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode