Jet Engine Whining sound???? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Jet Engine Whining sound????

OK this is going to sound odd, but here goes

69 Camaro with a small block 302 set up; muncie M20. Engine has been completely rebuilt by professional. I've run the car for over 500 miles before I this started.

Recently, I've noticed a 'whining' sound upon acceleration. It almost sounds like a jet engine, but not quite...my first thought was water pump. Have all deep groove pulleys and new belts, all tighted.

It almost sounds like one of 3 things to me:
1. Water pump
2. Power steering pump, or
3. Alternator

regarding above....

1. Water pump was a reman, car is not overheating and with the fan belt unhooked there is no side to side play in the fan and it seems to rotate smoothly. Long pump.
2. Power steering pump is reman and the correct round reservior type. It is full of fluid and the car does not "squeal" when turning the wheel as one would expect if pwr strg...
3. Alternator has been spun at NAPA, and charges up to 14.1 volts when measured in the car.

The only thing that is not correct is the car had a fixed fan blade, not the clutch set up.

Again, it only is noticable upon acceleration going up through the gears, I though the fan pulling air though, but it didn"t happen before...?

Told you this may sound weird. Thoughts, questions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Re: Jet Engine Whining sound????

can you take off one belt at a time to see where the noise is coming from??.. eliminate one thing at a time..
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:41 AM
Lifetime Gold Member
Drew

Do you have a timing chain or timing gears, I have gears and my car whines like my 3 year old daughter, especially in the higher rpm's.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

drew,gear drives whine bad!! im sure he knows the difference??..but then again he could have a procharger under the hood and not know it!!hahaha
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Gold Member
Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
drew,gear drives whine bad!! im sure he knows the difference??..but then again he could have a procharger under the hood and not know it!!hahaha
Yeah I am sure you are right, especially where he has run the car for 500 miles without hearing it before.

Just thought I would throw it out there, because I do get alot of people asking me what the whining sound coming from my car is.

If my wife is in the car when t Ihey ask, point to her. lol

Last edited by ddx77; Sep 23rd, 09 at 10:05 AM. Reason: sp
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 10:17 AM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post
Yeah I am sure you are right, especially where he has run the car for 500 miles without hearing it before.

Just thought I would throw it out there, because I do get alot of people asking me what the whining sound coming from my car is.

LOL

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

If it's only happening while going through the gears and not happening while car is not moving and revving the engine - It must be drive train related - Possible bad "U" Joint hollowing through the Drive Shaft. Yet you think the "WHINE" is originating from the front and not from under the car? Is this an Automatic or Manual Transmission?

It maybe a small Cuppy Doll your daughter dropped down the Dash Windshield Vent and Crying because she is stuck somewhere in the air vent - Been there - Did that and had to totally dismantle the Dash and Side Air Vents looking for the source. The look on my daughter's face when I handed her the Cuppy Doll, totally erased my anxiety over the matter - but my teeth were gritting ;o)

After my efforts to diagnose and retrieve the "LITTLE DOLL" and source of the "WHINE", upon assembly, I taped a nylon screen over the duct and to this day I've never heard my car "WHINE" ;in spite, I do run a Donovan Cam Gear Drive.

Do you want to hear more - LOL

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

Last edited by Z15CAM; Sep 23rd, 09 at 10:52 AM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 10:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddx77 View Post

thats funny!!..
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hey all,

Timing Chain...4 speed Muncie M20.

When I have the hood open an manually rev the engine I don't hear it.....

Never thought about the U-joint....But it seems to be coming from the front...will listen better !!!

Thanks
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:31 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Here's another consideration: It's possible that your M20 is not aligned and the front bearing of the transmission is complaining. Do you notice any vibration if you let the clutch out fast?

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:36 AM
Banned
Ron

The only whining noises I can think of is the whining noise from a noisy gear drive set up or a fiberglass flex fan!
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

No vibrations. Also, M20 was completely rebuilt by a very competent transmission guy. I guess I could take it over to him and see what he thinks. But, i doubt it.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
The only whining noises I can think of is the whining noise from a noisy gear drive set up or a fiberglass flex fan!
Ron, come on man, flex fans dont whine they whirl!!
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
BILL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb11 View Post
No vibrations. Also, M20 was completely rebuilt by a very competent transmission guy. I guess I could take it over to him and see what he thinks. But, i doubt it.
doubt that it, if its coming from the front of the car!!
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKY69 View Post
can you take off one belt at a time to see where the noise is coming from??.. eliminate one thing at a time..

I thought of that. Power steering = less concern. Fan belt? Not so sure if I want to run up through the gears without my water pump....but then again, it should eliminate some possibilities.....is this safe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode