Winters "snowflake" differences? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Craig

Winters "snowflake" differences?

I searched TC site here, but never found a thread actually talking about the snowflake itself.

Topic: Snowflake design, placement, and impression depth::

I am seeing differences in the actual snowflake marking, and hoping you guys can shed some light. Maybe the foundry changed their die throughout the years?

I have two intakes to compare. One is mine, sitting on my floor here with me (unused, i know!). It is a part # GM 3933163, BBC aluminum. It has a date code underneath showing 3.3.69, and the number 5183 directly below that datecode. The snowflake is down on the #1 cylinder port. Here is a pic of the snowflake on this manifold:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=18j7e8&s=4

Now I'm also looking at a intake this guy has on his motor (for sale), which shows a more prominent perimeter to the snowflake. With this one, the snowflake is up high on #2 cylinder port (just in front of the carb):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28rjvc8&s=4

Can you guys comment on the design, the depth of the snowflake impression, and the placement?

I also see that Classic Industries sells a 68-69 396/375 repro "snowflake" intake manifold for $330, part # 14964, on page 700 of our most recent catalog. The snowflake they have is down on cyl #1 port,... like mine.

Thanks!
=Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:27 PM
Team Member
John

Re: Winters "snowflake" differences?

What's the concern? Winters made thousands of "snowflake" castings every day, from dozens of different patterns (which had the snowflake), which created hundreds of one-time-use sand molds; there were plenty of variations - very common in 60's foundry operations.

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Craig

No "concern". At least not from me. Curiosity since this is the first I'm "checking out the foundry markings". I think the history is cool.

So it sounds like "all" the different snowflake designs are original, accurate & historically correct. Wonder how many different ones there were.....

Thanks for the reply though. Just thought maybe there was more to it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

The intake with the snowflake on the outer end of the runner is an earlier casting. The snowflake up near the carb mount is most likely a late 80's or newer casting. Thats why people in the know get big bucks for things that seem common to others..... Little things like that make a lot of difference.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Craig

Thanks Jon.
And since Classic Industries is selling a Alum intake with the snowflake down low on the runner (plus the impression is very similar to my '69 intake), I guess its hard for folks (or even judges) to tell whether it is original stuff, when it's mounted on a running engine. Only way I can see is to turn it over and check the datecode.
Thanks again. Interesting stuff.
=S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 09, 06:52 PM
Tech Team
Ralph

I have a alum. snowflake intake on my 327. The snowflake is located in front of the thermastate / water inlet. I have no idea how old it is. It was on my 1968 Camaro when I bought it. It also has Holley casted on the # 1 cylinder side.
Ralph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aluminum, intake, snowflake, winters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode