Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
distributor installation

OK...want to make sure I am not missing something here before I cause a catastrophic failure!

While installing my muncie, the engine was "disturbed."

I have rotated the engine to the "0" degree timing mark (on the compression cycle) to put cylinder 1 at TDC...

I dropped the distributor in, but it does not point toward "6 O'clock" (it points more toward 7 or 8ish

Do I need to take the distributor out, rotate the oil pump drive (so that the distirbutor will seat, and re-seat the distributor to read 6 O'clock?

btw, it is an HEI, and has been in the car before (it's not a brand new distributor).

It's been a while since I've done this...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:12 PM
Team Member
John

Re: distributor installation

If you want the distributor orientation factory-correct (so you can set the timing properly without the vacuum advance can interfering with the plug wire support or the #8 intake runner), the correct orientation and plug wire indexing in the cap are shown below. With the engine set as you describe, the rotor should point at the #1 wire tower in the cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dist2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	12124  

JohnZ
CRG
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Right now, it is more or less poitng at tower for #8cylinder...mayber between 1 and 8...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 07:58 PM
Senior Tech

Put the distributor where you want it and have a helper crank the motor while you gently push it down. When the oil pump shaft lines up it will drop right down. Now start from scratch and find #1 compression and set timing.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: distributor installation

Pull it back out, rotate the shaft about that much, and it should slide right in. If you have to turn the oil pump shaft with a long screwdriver.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 08:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Put the distributor where you want it and have a helper crank the motor while you gently push it down. When the oil pump shaft lines up it will drop right down. Now start from scratch and find #1 compression and set timing.
I agree, except don't push it.
It will fall into the oil pump shaft as it comes around. Then find TDC#1 again and verify your timing.

Put the engine on 12-18 degrees before TDC on the timing marks.

Hook up a timing light
Turn on the ignition and pull the trigger on the timing light.
Rotate the distributor counter clockwaise, then back clockwise.
Stop turning clockwise when the timing light fires.
Lock down the dizzy, you're ready to make noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 09, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Put the cap on the distributor. Take a marker and mark the distributor base just below the cap in the center of the #1 post. Use a tape measure and make another mark 2-1/4" to the right of that mark.

Pull out the #1 spark plug. Rotate the motor by hand clockwise until the TDC mark on the damper is an inch or two from coming around to your 0 mark on the timing tab. Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and rotate the engine some more. If you feel pressure build, you are coming to TDC for #1. If not, you are coming to TDC for #6. If that is the case, turn the motor clockwise another full turn to that you are for sure at TDC for #1. Then turn the motor counterclockwise slightly until the damper mark is lined up with the 12 degreed advanced mark on your timing tab.

Take a flat head screwdriver and mark a line on the end of the handle in line with the blade. Put it down in the distributor hole, engage the oil pump shaft, and turn until the mark on the screwdriver handle is pointing at the #5 cylinder intake valve, or just behind the #5 exhaust port.

Take the cap back off the HEI distributor. Turn the rotor so that the leading edge (left when looking down, clockwise rotation) is lined up with the second mark you made on the distributor body. Hold in this position and lower the distributor into the hole with the vacuum can pointing 45 degrees across the engine compartment, or roughly just between the #6 and #8 exhaust ports.

Lower the distributor into the hole. As the distributor gear meshes with the cam gear, the rotor should rotate clockwise and line up with the first mark you made on the distributor body for the #1 post. You will likely have to wiggle it a little to get the gears to mesh and to get it to drop down all the way after the gears mesh so that the distributor will engage the oil pump shaft. You can wiggle the rotor a little to help with that.

Now remove the rotor and you will see eight cast triangles pointing towards each other, one set in the distributor body and one set in the rotor body. Install your distributor clamp loosely. Then turn the distributor body slightly so that the triangle points line up exactly in line with one another. Lock down the distributor clamp. If you left the damper mark at the 12 degrees advanced line, you are now set with 12 degrees initial timing.

Reinstall everything else and the car should start up. Don't forget to put the rotor back on (yes I've done this...."wtf is going on here???"). Loosen the distributor clamp slightly and set your total timing using a timing light and using the correct procedure. If you are going to run 36 degrees of total timing, your initial timing will likely move to 16 degrees as most stock HEI's have 20 degrees of mechanical advance.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 06:16 PM
Senior Tech
george

Seeing how it is not a stock point type distributor but an hei unit..they typically install with the rotor tip pointing to #1 cylinder and #1 ignition wire at 5 o/clock on the cap.Not period correct..but neither is your distributor.
As mentioned above..rotate the crank and stop at 12# btdc on your timing tab and then stab the distributor and rotor tip aligned with #1 tower.This will give you the initial advance for a quick start up until you time with a light.

George
68 Camaro
8-71 blown 461 Rat on E-85
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 10:40 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

If you have to turn the oil pump shaft, align the slot so that it's roughly parallel with the centerline of the block front to rear. Might take a little wiggling, but that'll set the rotor in the right area

Jim's method posted above is what I always use

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Followed Steiner's notes above:

The engine is not running very smoothly at all--I checked the timing after the distributor install, and was only able to move it to about 6 degrees BTDC (I cannot "turn" the distributor any more due to wire length--and to be quite honest, it already seems way off from where it used to be. Prior to removing the distributor, it was set at about 14 BTDC, and the tach/batt attachements on the HEI, etc were at about the 3 O'clock position (give or take)...now, at 6 BTDC, those same terminals are at about the two o'clock postion already.

I plan to pick up a new set of wires to fix the lenght issue, but why would the dizzy seem to be so far off of where it used to be?

Also I shoudl note, that I am having a really hard time getitng the engine to run smoothly (it does have a big cam and has always been "lumpy"), but the idel has been very hard to set--I think I may have blown out the carb's power valve--when first starting her up, she had a couple of major backfires, through both exhaust and carburetor.

I know this is long-winded, but any suggestions? (possiby on tunig the Holley 750cfm vacuum secondary carb as well as any timeing concerns)...seems the carb and idle shoud be set before I mess with the timing?

I know this is long-winded--hopefully someone will read it and give me some tips--it is not fun trying to run with the new 4 speed while trying to "nurse" the motor to keep her from stalling out!

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Why are you running it at 6 degrees instead of 14?
Is the parts of the cap where the wires go into the distributor?

You need to lift the dizzy out, rotate the rotor 1 tooth CCW (lift carefully, you'll feel the gearteeth) and drop her back in. This will put the cap back where it was, and let you get your 14 degrees without running the cap into the firewall.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Why are you running it at 6 degrees instead of 14?
Is the parts of the cap where the wires go into the distributor?

You need to lift the dizzy out, rotate the rotor 1 tooth CCW (lift carefully, you'll feel the gearteeth) and drop her back in. This will put the cap back where it was, and let you get your 14 degrees without running the cap into the firewall.

6 instead of 14 because I cannot rotate the cap any more than it is at this point due to both Firewall, and one of the plug wires is too short...Can I move it one tooth without taking the dizzy all the way out to? (I guess what I am asking is, won't I have to "adjuste" the oil pump drive if I attmept to move the dizzy one tooth backward?

Keith
1967 Camaro
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 04:18 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithl1967 View Post
6 instead of 14 because I cannot rotate the cap any more than it is at this point due to both Firewall, and one of the plug wires is too short...Can I move it one tooth without taking the dizzy all the way out to? (I guess what I am asking is, won't I have to "adjuste" the oil pump drive if I attmept to move the dizzy one tooth backward?
Yes you can do that, all you will need is to have someone crank the engine while you hold the distributor and rotor.... it will drop right in without taking the distributor out.

1969 Nova SS, all motor BBC with C Straub girly cam, AutoGear M23W, 4:10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode