Double hump head? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Double hump head?

I have a set of double hump (462) heads that were given to me awhile back. They were originally 1.94, but the guy who had them had the intake machine to 2.02. On another forum someone mentioned that since have the intake machined to 2.02 the heads would perform poorly is there any truth to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 09, 08:54 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Double hump head?

Probably talking about unshrouding the intake valve from the combustion chamber wall. The larger valve will sit closer to the combustion chamber wall and as a result can hinder flow. GM cut the wall on the factory 2.02 heads to provide proper clearance. Most machine shops will do this for you, but not everyone does this. If you don't do it and install the larger valves, yes it can make a difference. If you look at an old set of factory 2.02 heads it's obvious where they opened up the wall a bit.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 01:33 AM
Senior Tech
Kev

Unless you want to see those humps, why use them? Technology has come a long way since the 60s.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 07:39 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sc View Post
Unless you want to see those humps, why use them? Technology has come a long way since the 60s.
They were free...

Mark

68 327 4-speed 3.42 posi and a sunroof
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

best so far... 13.25 at 106mph

78 Firebird 350/T350 3.23 posi
65 Mustang convert. 6 cyl. 3-speed
66 Mustang coupe 6 cyl. auto
80 Chevy C10 406 4-speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 08:43 AM
Tanner

when you de shroud the valve in the combustion chamber, that enlarges it obviously. but does it make a significant change in the CC size of the chamber? That being said, is it important to make sure that all chambers are same size after de shrouding all chambers?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 09:26 AM
Senior Tech
Tom

Talking Re: Double hump head?

Please correct me, if I am wrong, but I have heard they are about 62cc's unless they are plunge cut to unshroud the 2.02 intake valve. Then they are 64 cc.

I say "about", because you really don't know, unless you cc them. Decking or "truing" the surface can change the chamber size, and I have heard that the chamber can vary some in size also.

If you cc them, do all 8 of them !

What engine are you using these on ? They really don't breathe very well. They only have about 155 cc intake ports. They were designed primarily for 327's under 350 HP ! If you put them on a bigger engine... they need to be "ported" to the max !

If those heads need more than $250 work, you can buy much better heads. Even the vortec heads made for street 350's have a 170cc intake port, and will easily outflow the old camel backs.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 06:02 PM

I do this work all the time most heads 461 462 186 and so on are around 66cc i have never see a set that has been dead on at 64. When you do the chamber cut you will add about 1 cc. You all so need to do the bowl cut for the 1.600 and 2.02 valve.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post

What engine are you using these on ? They really don't breathe very well. They only have about 155 cc intake ports. They were designed primarily for 327's under 350 HP ! If you put them on a bigger engine... they need to be "ported" to the max !

If those heads need more than $250 work, you can buy much better heads. Even the vortec heads made for street 350's have a 170cc intake port, and will easily outflow the old camel backs.
I'm putting the on a 66" 327, I don't think I'm going over 350 hp, because of my current setup. I plan on using my original 2 speed powerglide and I have 3:08 gears.
Btw where can I get better heads for 250?

oh yea, Thanks mike for the pic.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 09:56 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Tom to answer your question flat milling a 23 degree SBC head .006" results approximately in 1cc reduction to the chamber. You can usually flat mill .030 before you run into needing to start cutting the intake. The .030 = -5 cc. Again these are approximate numbers listed in several publications. Only way to know for sure is to measure them.

Also guys when I had my old 461s that I used on a 331 small block cut for the 2.02 and 1.60 valves they ended up at 66 cc, but I had flat milled the heads to true them up also, so I lost a little bit of volume there. Most 461, 462s were 160 cc I believe.

"..............what, and get out of aviation??"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: Double hump head?

I'm really not sure, what the actual dollar amount is that they are not worth any more work is, but some would say $100 ! A different set of heads would actually cost about $600.00 on up. You can probably pick up a set of used vortec's for much less, but then you would need a vortec intake and center bolt valve covers. I have a set of 461's on my car with stainless valves etc. I don't think that I could sell them for $300 ! I have seen numbers that say 150 to 160 cc on the intake ports, what they actually check out at ? I don't know.

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Sep 25th, 09 at 11:28 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 09, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS69 View Post
I'm really not sure, what the actual dollar amount is that they are not worth any more work is, but some would say $100 ! A different set of heads would actually cost about $600.00 on up. You can probably pick up a set of used vortec's for much less, but then you would need a vortec intake and center bolt valve covers. I have a set of 461's on my car with stainless valves etc. I don't think that I could sell them for $300 ! I have seen numbers that say 150 to 160 cc on the intake ports, what they actually check out at ? I don't know.

Why are you so against camelhumps if you have them on your engine? By the way what kind of E.T's do you get in the 1/4 mile with your set-up?

'69 Camaro convertible, 383, 4 bolt, 461 camalhump heads, 268 xe comp cam, edel rpm
air-gap , holly 750 DP/1"spacer , msd ignition, flowtech ceramic coated headers, 2.5 exhaust w/flowmaster's, muncie m21 , 10bolt w/eaton posi unit and 373 gears'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode