454 Clearance - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

454 Clearance

Hey everyone, I would like to install a 454 motor in my 67 camaro. It has the factory SS hood.

I was wondering what intake everyone is using with their 454 or 396 motors? I'm looking at the Edelbrock Performer RPM 2-R part #7163, but it says not to use with stock hood. I would really like to install a 454, but don't want to kill the performance by using the Performer 2-0 part #2161.

If I use the Performer RPM with the drop down air cleaner that is used on 375h.p camaros, will it clear the hood? Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 03:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Skip

Re: 454 Clearance

Just remember that you can only drop the base down so far before it hits the throttle linkage like on a holly carb. But im sure someone will help you out.

I NEED TO HIT THE LOTTERY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Is there anyone out there with a big block with an ss or flat hood? What intake are you using?

Thanks,
Tony

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

The lowest aftermarket intake that I know of is the old Edelbrock Torker.It isnt the best aftermarket intake,but it does make good power and the carb sits very low.It is the one that has the carb sitting on an angle,and is available used in oval and rectangular port.I believe the later Torker 2 is also very low.Good luck.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Edelbrock's Performer Series intakes are all the same height which include the Performer 2-0 (which accepts both Spread Bore and Square Carbs), RPM and RPM Air Gap.

The Performer 2-0 with say a 750 Holley Dp on a low compression 454 with Cam and Headers is a very Nice Budget Engine. They will not fit under a Stock Hood unless you hole it and bolt on a LT1 Scoop.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Smile Re: 454 Clearance

No, the performer RPM is about 3/8" taller than a performer 2.

AVG height = Performer 2-0 = 4.85
...............= RPM Air Gap = 5.225
...............= Torker 2 = 3.825

69 Camaro -originally a LM1 car. 327, Edelbrock E-streets, hooker, DUI performance distributors, ultradyne cam, stewart, TRW etc. Vintage Air, AGR steering, Corbeau GTSII seats, 700R4 transmission, 12-bolt w/Eaton 4.11:1

Last edited by TJS69; Sep 28th, 09 at 01:48 PM.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

So will the Performer 2-0 work? If so how bad is it going to hurt the performance compared to Performer RPM?

Thanks,
Tony
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 09, 09:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Matt

I have the Performer 2 on my 454 with 750 Eddy sitting on a 1/2 inch heat spacer. I also have 4.5 inch air filter (from base to spin nut). No issues with clearance BUT I have a cowl hood. Let me know if you need some measurements.

Matt

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Trevor

I have a 454 and a SS style hood, I run a Torker II manifold and a 1 1/2" drop plate with a 14" x 2" air cleaner. It is a single plane that sits really low. If you want dual plane try Weiland, I think they have a low dual plane, maybe you can get some measurements from them and compare with Edelbrocks measurements.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 09, 08:44 PM
John

Sorry I am too lazy to look it up, but I thought that there was a Victor intake that was fairly low. I know it is a single plane, but they seem to run pretty well on the bigger motors.

EDIT - sorry, after looking it up, I guess I was thinking of the Torker
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 09, 06:36 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

The Torker is the way to go for clearance.If you run the Troker,check the port match to your heads.Some of them are real small to match peanut port type heads.Port matching a Torker goes a long way toward making the power of the more modern intakes.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Hey everyone, I wanted to first say thanks for everyone's post. After reading everyones post I have another question. Since I would like to keep my SS hood on my 67camaro and it doesn't look like I can get a Performer RPM intake under the hood , how would you guys build a 30 over 454 that will be used for the street? I'll be using a Tremec 5 speed, no air, 373 gear and power brakes. Thanks again for all your help.

Tony
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 06:06 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Hi Tony,

I used Edelbrock Performer on my 69 vert 396. Used factory drop down air cleaner from
Ground Up. But you need to get factory 375HP Holley Carb gas line and throttle setup. I use 1/4 inch plastic spacer and I have SS hood. I used a 1 1/8 sway bar and the motor mounts moved the motor up, so I had to remove the hood insulation, it was a tight fit but worked.

Motor recomm. 454, .30 over with 10.5:1 or 11:0:1 compression, Aluminum Heads, 1.7 roller rockers and a street/agressvie cam...

Jeff G.
69 RS/SS 396 Vert
69 RS/SS 454 Hardtop
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 07:42 AM
Senior Tech
Timothy

Im using an Edelbrock RPM Performer Air Gap in my 69 w SS hood. And a cheap 25 drop base air cleaner with $10 worth of 396 stickers on it. You can see pictures in my sig.

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 09, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Microgiant, I was wondering if you remember how you got the Performer RPM Air-Gap to work under the SS hood? I'd really like to use this intake if I could, but I've been reading that Performer RPM Air-Gap wonít fit with a big block under the SS hood. What frame and engine mounts did you use? Are you having any problems with the air cleaner rubbing the bottom of the hood? Are you using a 2in. or 3in. air cleaner?

Thanks Again,
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode