autometer oil pressure gauge question - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

autometer oil pressure gauge question

question, when installing the sender in the block, would you use some kind of sealant on the threads or what would you use. autometer recommends teflon sealing compound on the threads but im alittle nervous because if something was to get into the oil passage way. thanks in advance. robert.

69 Camaro Z/28 Rally Sport 10A of 68. 50 S with 723 int. .040 over 302 with m22 autogear wide ratio. BU 12 bolt posi.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 07:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Keith

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to keithl1967
Re: autometer oil pressure gauge question

I've used teflon tape...

Keith
1967 Camaro
406, 10:1, comp xr282HR, Dart Iron Eagle 200cc, Holley Contender dual plane, Holley 750 DP
Muncie M-20
GM 8.5, 3.73 posi
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 07:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I've used teflon tape too, and it's not the right stuff. Bad bad bad, don't.

There is a white teflon sealing goop in a tube, use that.

First clean the threads reall good (including the threads in the block) with laquer thinner.
You might want to have the manifold and distributor on when you screw that big honkin thing in there, too. Some additional fittings may be needed for clearance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 09, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

thanks guys, jimM, do you know what the goop is called or who makes it? i didnt want to use teflon tape and i wasnt sure if i screwed it in without any sealant that it would leak or not. thanks again.

69 Camaro Z/28 Rally Sport 10A of 68. 50 S with 723 int. .040 over 302 with m22 autogear wide ratio. BU 12 bolt posi.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 12:12 AM
Senior Tech

I think he is just refering to liquid teflon....kind of like pipe dope, right? Eh, that is what I used after I had a little piece of teflon tape get sucked into my oil pressure sending unit on a different vehicle... fortunately that was the only piece in the system!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

Loctite 567

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 09:27 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

If the intake is off, you may want to consider using a 90 degree fitting with an AN end. You can use a braided line to your gage then. You'll have to get the appropriate fitting for the gage, too. Looks cool, alot more heat resistant than the nylon tube. Use the liquid Loctite.

I may be old and slow, but ........what the heck was I gonna say?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I think he's using an electric gauge since he mentioned sending unit.

If the Autometer sending unit is like mine, it's fairly big and probably won't clear your intake manifold. You can find some 1/8" NPT brass pipe nipples at your parts house and a double female of the same size to raise it up a bit. The problem I had with that was when I had to remove the pipe for whatever reason, Murphy's law prevailed and the double female unscrewed from the pipe, and there was no easy way to remove the short stub of pipe left threaded into the block.

My fix was to clean and flux the pipe and the double female, thread them together, and then solder them (on the bench) just as you would sweat copper plumbing. The double female has hex flats on it and then both pieces can be removed easily with a socket.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 12:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69CamaroRT View Post
thanks guys, jimM, do you know what the goop is called or who makes it? i didnt want to use teflon tape and i wasnt sure if i screwed it in without any sealant that it would leak or not. thanks again.
The stuff in my "goop drawer" is from Permatex, #14A, says "Thread Sealant with Teflon." (White GOOP ina white tube)

It's right next to the ever popular Permatex 133A "Anti-Sieze lubricant." (Silver GOOP silver goop ina silver tube)

One or the other goes on the threads of pretty much anything I screw into my car.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 12:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

As for fittings, theirs lots of stuff as close as your neighborhood Ace Hardware.
This particular fitting is 1/8" National Pipe Thread (NPT) and it's tapered and supposed to be self sealing. (Of course it isn't.)

There will be lots of fittings in brass, cast iron, and black iron. I prefer the iron fittings, they won't strip or break. The brass is really soft.

I found a company on the net once that carves these fitting out of stainless steel billit, mostly bigger stuff, for heaters hoses and such. Really nice peices and worth a mention here.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 09, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

it is a electric gauge w/ the big sending unit, i tried it and its not even close to screwing into the block, so it looks like ill have to get a couple adapters and while im there ill looks for the teflon thread sealant. thanks again for the help. robert.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 09:41 AM

Your local GM dealer sells the liquid teflon sealant as well. It's called GM liquid pipe sealant.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 04:33 PM
Team Member
John

Any hardware store has the same stuff - it's called TFE Paste Pipe Sealant.

JohnZ
CRG
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 04:37 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

I prefer the high temp teflon sealer myself. I've used tape on hard to seal fittings. Just make sure not to put it on the first thread.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 09, 06:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Teflon tape doesn't like petroleum, gas or oil. It will disintegrate over time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode